Home Sports Talk
Options

Official Albert Pujols Thread

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, this guy is pretty good.

Another game winning homerun last night. That's 17 on the year with 41 RBI's. He has done this several times already this year.

I was watching the game last night, and we all pretty much knew what would happen. He has more home runs (17) than strikeouts (9). Is there anybody even close to a ratio like that?

This picture is after his game winning homerun a few weeks ago on April 16th (his third of the day). Just put a bid "S" on his chest and call him Superman. It looks like he is going to fly away.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    He is the best player I have seen in the past 20 years.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Albert is the man. No question. Has that ball he hit of Lidge in the playoffs landed yet?
  • Options
    Somebody needs to photoshop the "S" and the cape.

Shane

• Options
    You are the sexies man in baseball... Albert Pujols! Thanks, Mary

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Albert is the man. No question. Has that ball he hit of Lidge in the playoffs landed yet? >>

Lidge is today's Mitch Williams.

Oh and by the way, who won the series? image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

• Options
    Writer11Writer11 Posts: 738

<< <i>

<< <i>Albert is the man. No question. Has that ball he hit of Lidge in the playoffs landed yet? >>

Oh and by the way, who won the series? image >>

Hey man, I love the Astros. Biggio is my favorite ballplayer. But I even I can admit that was some bomb.
  • Options

He just hit number 18. image
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The White Sox. image
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I'll be seeing Mr. Pujols next weekend when St. Louis comes to play the Omaha..er Kansas City Royals. Really looking forward to it as it has been a few years since I've even been to a game.
    Travis
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is the MAN
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The White Sox. image >>

I wasn't asking you, so there image

I just think it's funny when one "brags" about a playoff highlight even though the team eventually lost the series.

It's like the Eddie Johnson last second shot against Utah in '97 image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the Omaha..er Kansas City Royals. >>

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just think it's funny when one "brags" about a playoff highlight even though the team eventually lost the series. >>

I agree. It coulda been one of the best moments in team history had it rallied the team to come back and win the series. As it is, it's just a pretty good moment in Cardinals history.

But I guess the beginning of Brad Lidge's demise isn't such a bad thing.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    There are some moments that have to be looked at from the perspective of "how did it turn out." And then, there are some where you have to look at "just the moment itself, at that time". With the Pujols homerun off of Lidge, if you watched that game and if you were a Cardinals fan, you had all but given up hope. Even with Albert at the plate. Then, he hits that homerun to win the game. It was truly an incredible moment.

Shane

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    number 18 today.......I sincerely hope he hits 74 this year to end all this drama regarding Bonds.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>But I guess the beginning of Brad Lidge's demise isn't such a bad thing. >>

Unfortunately, I think you are correct; Brad hasn't been the same since.

<< <i>There are some moments that have to be looked at from the perspective of "how did it turn out." And then, there are some where you have to look at "just the moment itself, at that time". With the Pujols homerun off of Lidge, if you watched that game and if you were a Cardinals fan, you had all but given up hope. Even with Albert at the plate. Then, he hits that homerun to win the game. It was truly an incredible moment. >>

Bro, I WAS there, in the outfield bar, jumping up and down, drunk off my arse, thinking it was over.

Remember when Kent won game 5 with a walk off home run? That was an incredible moment. We end up losing the series and that moment just doesn't seem to be as incredible.

Don't get me wrong, I'll never forget that shot off Lidge. However, you still lost the series and the moment became, for a lack of a better word, meaningless.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Yes BUT DID ALBERT EVER BAT AGAINST THE BLACK PITCHER.....oh wait..he did.
    Sincerely,
    Barry Bonds
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I was joking with a friend the other day about the possibility of MLB supplying the Cardinals with special juiced balls. We were being quite facetious, but I'm sure little would make Bud Selig happier than Pujols wresting the single-season HR mark from Barry Bonds. I'd be very happy, too, but a World Series win would be much more important. I'm quite sure Albert feels the same way.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Pujols is a MONSTER! I will be cheering for HR #74 for the entire season!
  • Options

Ok, How many homeruns will he end up with this year?

Not counting the playoffs and WS!

• Options
    In 1998:
    Mark McGwire hit his 18th home run of the year in the 43rd game. He finished 1998 with 70 home runs.

In 2001:
    Barry Bonds hit his 18th home run of the year in the 42nd game. He finished 2001 with 73

Albert Pujols hit his 18th home run in the teams's 35th game. Keeping up the pace will be difficult, though.

And as for Pujols and his "quest" for 80?

"Talk to me in September," Pujols said, laughing, "and then we'll see."

Yard Sticks: Will 2006 be bigger bang for Pujols?

• Options

I say it will be 64.
  • Options
    Peter Gammons just said on ESPN radio that he very well could end up the greatest hitter to have ever lived. I know that's a bit premature, but coming from Gammons, that's high praise.

The thing with Pujols is that along with his homeruns, he has a high average. He's not just up there swinging for the fences. I like the quote in the above article that he would rather hit a double in the gap to drive in 2 runs than hit a solo homerun.

Shane

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    What impresses you the most about Pujols is the combination of power and average, and his character - you never hear a bad thing about this guy.

He's almost the anti-Bonds.
  • Options

you never hear a bad thing about this guy

And you will never! image
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I forget who it was who talked to Pujols, but on the eve of him breaking the record for HR's in April he was asked if he knew about the record. Pujols response was, I didnt know and I dont care. That says it all about the guy right there. No interest in personal goals whatsoever. Strictly a team guy.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Read the other day that Albert says he's not even 100% healthy.
    Much of his success has to do with having Rolen in the lineup along with Edmonds (.243).
    I really hope the roid controversy doesn't shift over to him. Already had to deal with one of those guys.

• Options
    Power surge: Pujols on record home run pace

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- For a guy who's never considered himself a home-run hitter, Albert Pujols is setting a blistering pace.

Pujols became the fastest player in major league history to reach 19 home runs, leading the St. Louis Cardinals to a 9-1 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks on Saturday night.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Pujols is absolutely positively on fire, and has been since the start of the season. My only question: why are teams pitching to him? Last night, first base open, man on second, Pujols up. Common sense says: WALK HIM. Yet he gets a pitch to drill into the bleachers.

• Options
    My only question: why are teams pitching to him?

Very qood question! It's crazy, but I am glad they are doing it. There walking Bonds like crazy, but pitiching to a guy who they know is on fire. I just hope he keeps it up.
  • Options
    220 homeruns in a little over 5 years. Simply amazing.

Did anybody see the FSN special "Hall of Fame" 30 minute interview with Pujols? I wished I would have taped it. He said that he took English lessons for 6 months. He worked his butt off in summer school so he could graduate a semester early, so that he could go to play baseball at the local community college nearby. That's pretty impressive. He knows one more language than I do.

Can you believe he went in the 13th round. That means EVERY team in the majors passed on Albert Pujols 13 times!!!

When he got to the minor leagues he heard mumblings about how he couldn't pull the ball. They said he hit it the other way too much. So, on opening day in single A ball, he proceeded to pull two homeruns over the left field wall. I would say that he learned real quick to pull the ball.

Shane

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>My only question: why are teams pitching to him?

Very qood question! It's crazy, but I am glad they are doing it. There walking Bonds like crazy, but pitiching to a guy who they know is on fire. I just hope he keeps it up. >>

I believe it's because he's right handed. Managers walk Bonds because they just do not want, under any circumstances, to have their right handed pitchers in Bonds' cross hairs. With a righty at the plate, and a righty on the mound, it's a little different situation.

That being said I think the number of hittable pitchers that Albert is going to see in the next few months has gone down considerably.
  • Options
    This was on ESPN's "The Daily Quickie" by Dan Shanoff.

Two Words For You:
    PUJOLS. POWER.

Pujols is the anti-Bonds:

Humble, awesome, untainted (to our knowledge).

While everyone's attention is focused on Bonds this week as he tries to top Babe Ruth's mythical 714, Albert Pujols has done something even Bonds hasn't done:

Pujols hit another home run Wednesday night, giving him 18 in the season's first 35 games. That's the 2nd-fewest games in MLB history to hit 18 HR (behind the suddenly conjured Cy Williams, who hit 18 in 34 games in 1923).

So I'm starting to dream...

Instead of wasting my energy booing Bonds, I'm cheering for my new slogan of the season:

"Pujols 74."

With last night's HR, Pujols is on pace to hit 84, leaving a nice cushion to top Bonds' single-season record of 73.

Wouldn't that be the most spectacular reversal in a season that otherwise looks like it will be defined by Bonds passing Babe?

Instead of debating the value of Bonds' 700-whatever for the next six months, fans can just say, "whatever," tossing it aside in favor of tracking Pujols as he knocks Bonds from his own greatest record.

So, I implore MLB pitchers:
    Please: Keep pitching to Pujols. Everyone has been waiting for Albert to get the "Bonds treatment" and never see another decent pitch to hit again.

It hasn't happened yet. After his killer April (14 HR), he has seen an average of 3.4 at-bats per game in 10 games in May, with only 3 total walks.

That's a good sign. (Maybe MLB, managers and the media are colluding to give Pujols a chance to beat Bonds' record. As far as collusions go, fans could get behind that one.)

Breaking Bonds' single-season walks record (232 in 2004; Pujols has 31 so far) wouldn't be particularly satisfying.

But if there ever has been a year to break Bonds' home run record, this is the right one -- and the right player is set up to do it.

Keep hitting 'em out, Albert: for the good of the game.

Shane

• Options
    Humble, awesome, untainted (to our knowledge).

Thats the key right their for me, whether he is " untainted ".

I realize everyone's been on the Pujols bandwagon lately but im not so quick to jump on quite yet.

You have to admit the guy is built like a brick wall. It's hard to believe 4,5,6 years ago when the juice was so popular that Pujols never touched the stuff.

I'd like to think he hasn't because so far he's looked like an awesome player

Dave

• Options
    If any other baseball power hitter of the past 10 years is under scrutiny of steroids, Pujols should be right there. I highly doubt he is really 26 years old either.
  • Options
    Number 20. Quickest ever.

Shane

• Options
    Ya know, anyone can TRY and discredit Pujols, and some will say anything to do it. But this guy is the greatest hitter I think our era may ever see.
  • Options
    Greatest hitter our era may ever see, I guess Ichiro is already forgotten, because he did not hit .400 last year. If Barry took them, and as I said, if any other power hitter of the last 10 years is under scrutiny, then Pujols should be right there. What now, is someone going to say I am a Cardinals hater, or a Dominican hater?
  • Options
    Ichiro is one dimensional. He only hits for average. Pujols is the best all around hitter I have ever seen. Oh, by the way, he just hit number 22.

Shane

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Everytime baseball needs a hero someone always seems to step up. Pujols is that guy this time.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    When I was growing up, my father and mother were my heros, why do people always need a sports figure to idolize! When I was younger, if I had to choose a sporting hero, it would have been Bob Probert, because I loved watching him fight! But how can I pick him over my father, my mother, President Reagan, Yzerman, Kaline, Pete Rose, etc, etc, and etc! I still say Pujols has to be under the same scrutiny as any other home run hitter of this generation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Just because he is a great hitter????? Come on! There is absolutely no other reason to suspect that he has done anything wrong. Why is it that people think that only LEGENDS can have legendary numbers? Some people think that the only players that can have incredible stats and careers are players that played before WW2. That is ridiculous! Whether people like to admit it or not, there are legends playing in every era. Albert Pujols just happens to be the greatest in the game and is on his way to being one of the greatest ever. Period.

Shane

• Options
    I am not saying he definitely did anything that makes him a cheater, but everyone allegedly has taken them in the last 10 years, so I am just following the protocol on these boards!
  • Options
    With Pujols, we may be looking at the first guy since Maris to hit 60 or more home runs
    without Vitamin S.
  • Options
    Geez, Steve was only talking about heroes in baseball, not life. Why was that even twisted like that? It's a great point. Before steroids were such an issue, McGwire and Sosa brought great attention to the sport and brought back lots of lost fans back to the game.
    Take it for what it's worth...Pujols may be the hero that baseball is in need of.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    When I was growing up, my father and mother were my heros

why do people always need a sports figure to idolize

But how can I pick him over my father, my mother, President Reagan, Yzerman, Kaline, Pete Rose, etc, etc, and etc!

How do you expalin the last 3 names mentioned?

Yankeeno...........Bingo

Steve?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I do not have to expLAin anything. People have to idolize a sports figure, when most of the time, the real person who you should idolize should be the person or people who changed your diapers. I went to public school, no teacher was my hero, because I did not work hard enough in class in their opinions, although I passed it all easily. Even had a few say that I would never amount to anything in life, yet I have probably made more money in my 12 years since graduating, than they did their 30 years teaching.

How does anyone know if Pujols has been clean? How do you honestly know Pujols is 26? How do you know if Pujols has ever taken anything that is now illegal in the game of baseball? Hell, I took andro a few years back while working out, did I cheat and sin also? As I said, if everyone and anyone out of the last 10 years has to be scrutinized for roids, then Pujols is right there also, along with Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire!

If I were to pick a sports hero, why can it not be Yzerman, Kaline, or Rose? Yzerman and Kaline were the epitome of hard working, constant professionals! Pete Rose gave 100%, on every play, even if he walked, and he loved the game he played! As I said in a previous thread, I do not really care whether he gambled or not, much worse has happened in pro sports in my opinion! In any other realm of life, people would say Rose had a disease and needs or needed help, apparently, a crack whore has more clout in life than he does now. The game used him, so when his book came out, I was happy to see him use it to make sales, about time someone used big business to make a buck, because it would and did use him the same way. Why do you people love Pujols so much anyways? I do not hate him personally, so before you say so, you are incorrect. The reason why you all want him to smash these records, set new records, etc, etc, and etc, is because you want to cash in on the present and future soaring of his card value! Same you all probably did with Bonds, that is why you want him to bang 'em out!
  • Options

<< <i>When I was growing up, my father and mother were my heros, why do people always need a sports figure to idolize! When I was younger, if I had to choose a sporting hero, it would have been Bob Probert, because I loved watching him fight! But how can I pick him over my father, my mother, President Reagan, Yzerman, Kaline, Pete Rose, etc, etc, and etc! I still say Pujols has to be under the same scrutiny as any other home run hitter of this generation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Your parents were your heros? Oh please stop with the sappyness.

The general public idolize people who acomplish exciting and extra-ordinary achievments...be it sports or otherwise.