Home Stamps Forum
Options

a stamp topic in the Open Forum

dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
Thread about the "forever" stamp if interested.

forever stamp

Comments

• Options
    "Forever stamp" !

Well with forever rising costs it can only make sense. As long as postage stamps will still exist

The balace of profit may be between the change of the design on a regular basis.

Had I bought a 1000 sheets of the first SA 45c "forever" stamp in 1988 I could have had a packet of Postage today as it trebled today.

But then who has that amount of dead money available at any time - not stamp collectors !

One of many "forever" stamps
    Offer quality British Africa, Commonwealth, Africa philatelic material.
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    I predict not many people will jump on the bandwagon and purchase loads of these. It will be nice though when the USPS changes rates, you don't have to go out and buy small denom stamps or make-up stamps. Several countries use these "forever" stamps and don't seem to have many problems.

The way I look at it is the USPS has increased their price 30-something cents in the past 150 years and the price is still quite low.
  • Options

<< <i>I predict not many people will jump on the bandwagon and purchase loads of these. It will be nice though when the USPS changes rates, you don't have to go out and buy small denom stamps or make-up stamps. Several countries use these "forever" stamps and don't seem to have many problems. >>

Does not the opportunity then arise for stamp dealers or others who have still wads of these 1940 to mid 1950 to sell off this stock at least at face value? Shear volume would not matter if they are in sheets or control blocks.

Offering such to large mail-out companies would help to turn some surplus dead stock into money. Many US stamp dealers have been doing just that for the last 50 years.
  • Options
    What may be of interest is that the catalogue value would need to be adjusted of such stamps every year.
    This would also depend on the quanity initially printed and need only back-up volumes thereafter.
    The stamp itself would be meaningless for collectors and only of interest for the different printings that follow.
    In effect there would be a saving to the collectors.