Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More results from $500 in halves

morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
I picked up another box today and was surprised by the results.
11 40% clads (My fewest so far)
2 '64 Kennedys (My fewest so far)
3 Franklins 62, 62-D, 51-S (My most so far)
2 Walkers '45 VF, '41 EF (My most so far)
Yes, I am having fun... will probably get more next week.
I collect circulated U.S. silver

Comments

• Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    Hi morganbarber, Great finds..............Wish I had time to look through rolls as I used to when I was younger........Good luck on future searches..........Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    My sister used to work at a bank in Madison, WI. I used to buy halves and anything else of interest that she saw come through. I probably went through $300 in halves about two years ago and came up with similar results. Many 40%, a handful of 90%. Two proofs that I remember and one XF Franklin.
    It is amazing what people will turn in for face value. She once recieved a Barber half (it was snatched up before I had a chance to look at it) and a lot of old currency. She said that Christmas time was when most of the "wierd" stuff would come in. Don't people know any better? At least take it to the corner shop and get SOMETHING for it.
  • Options
    What part of the US are you in ? I reside in CT and have gone through $700.00 worth of halves and only found 5 40% image

I think I need to find more "rural" banks
  • Options
    Barberman55Barberman55 Posts: 1,605
    Nice finds, I used to go through 6 boxes ($3,000.00), of halves a week. I had many great finds in the year - year 1/2 that I did it. One box included 19 Barber halves (all nice and original, grading AG thru F-12), and a very large number of Walkers, Franklins, 1964 Kennedy's, and 40% Kennedy's. I miss the searching part, but I don't miss all the other work that went into it. Good luck with your next box of halves.
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Cool finds!! I plan to go through some next time I have the chance.
  • Options
    i am picking up a box of halves on monday and have one question about the 1986 BU coins. my confusion comes with how can i find BU coins in a circulated box of halves? maybe i should say, what exaclty does BU mean and what does it look like? that way if i see it i will know.
  • Options
    I was on a roll (pun intended) there for a while. I netted $165 bucks selling the 90% and 40% coins I found in 2 weeks time. Now I'm back to seeing just beat up copper-nickel clads.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>What part of the US are you in ? I reside in CT and have gone through $700.00 worth of halves and only found 5 40% image

I think I need to find more "rural" banks >>

did you ever stop to think there maybe smoeone else doing the same in CT image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What part of the US are you in ? I reside in CT and have gone through $700.00 worth of halves and only found 5 40% image

I think I need to find more "rural" banks >>

did you ever stop to think there maybe smoeone else doing the same in CT image >>

Hmmmm do I take it from your evil grin , that the smoeone is vous ? image
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    That's great!

Seriously, whenever I go into a bank and ask for halves, they look at me like I'm nuts.

But nothing like the looks I get when I want to return halves for...more halves image
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Is there a bank teller in the world that does NOT know to search halves for silver? I think not.
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I think that I am the only one in my area doing it. I plan to surf the nice rolls in my area until I run out of silver or someone else joins me to ruin my area. I have another order in for this week. I had a long "off the record" discussion with the manager of my branch. I think he is cool with it. Every box has a stamp that says "Certified by XXXX, month-day-year. I am, so far, ordering the boxes fast than they are certifying them. All three boxes I have ordered were certified in March '06, but the date is getting older. Just kidding, but in theory, I could get to the bottom back of the vault and in several years will only be getting boxes certified pre-1964.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options

<< <i>i am picking up a box of halves on monday and have one question about the 1986 BU coins. my confusion comes with how can i find BU coins in a circulated box of halves? maybe i should say, what exaclty does BU mean and what does it look like? that way if i see it i will know. >>

Sure it's possible.......I've found BU Walkers in $500.00 boxes of halves, and I've had them certified as BU too.
    BU - Brilliant Uncirculated (Coins that were never in circulation).
  • Options

<< <i>That's great!

Seriously, whenever I go into a bank and ask for halves, they look at me like I'm nuts.

But nothing like the looks I get when I want to return halves for...more halves image >>

NEVER return halves to the same bank that you ordered them from!
  • Options
    This past saturday I was at the bank and a young teenager boy was at the window asking for "$2 bills, Sacajewas and 1/2 dollars...

they had 7 $2 bills, NO half dollars, not one...and 7 Sacs... 5 of the $2 bills were apparently sequential. guess that kid was a burgeoning numismatist....
  • Options
    ledzep87ledzep87 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    Bobafett72,

Whoa....that was scary! I thought you were talking about me because I fit your entire description!?! BUT, I am in Texas......so it can't be.....can it? image
    Great transaction with: Relaxn, Collectorcoins, OKCC
  • Options
    seems like an awful lot of work and time to make a couple of bucks.

my time is more valuable than the couple of bucks.

maybe you just enjoy it, right?

know what you don't know.

hi, i'm tom.

i do not doctor coins like some who post in here.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where DO you people bank??!!! I tried this several weeks ago with $200 at my local banks and came up with nothing!!

Leo
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Edited to state: image I just gotta start paying attention to what I am doing! Totally forgot I was in the middle of a search imageimage
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    taxbuster1040taxbuster1040 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    Leap269 says "i am picking up a box of halves on monday and have one question about the 1986 BU coins. my confusion comes with how can i find BU coins in a circulated box of halves? maybe i should say, what exaclty does BU mean and what does it look like? that way if i see it i will know. "

Just because you found a coin in a box of "cirulated" halves does not mean it could not grade as "Uncirculated" . Technically, you could find an ms-70 coin in circulation. If it didnt get any scratches or wear on it, it would appear uncirculated. This usually occurs in a fresh roll of coins. But with the kennedy's, they have sat around for 40 years some of them, and so they are mixed in with some of the other more recent dates, and you find very circulated coins mixed in with a few uncirculated ones. In fact, in my searches of kennedy's, i found rolls of 1976,1977 and 1978 that i sold as uncirculated and the buyers were very satisfied.
  • Options
    I have been going through a couple thousand dollars worth a week with fair results. My bank is not happy about it though. The head teller told me she couldn't take them anymore. I had to threaten to take my accounts to another bank to get them to continue to take them. Does it cost the bank to ship them off or are the tellers at my bank just lazy?
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    It does cost the bank something to get the halves in and to ship them out, not to mention the cost of having some "dead" inventory sitting around.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does not cost the bank any extra to get your halves as they get new coins in every week (at least my bank does) However i have to order them--i return them to a different bank. The first bank does not know what i do with them. Why should they have to lift heavy boxes of coins for you and get nothing for it? They do it as a customer service. It does take time for the bank to order the coins and get them and handle them. I got two boxes of halves (the minimum order) a few weeks ago. (found nothing by the way).When i ordered them the clerk didnt even know the minimum amount to order and said."we never get them"-
    You should use two different banks- one to get them at and the other to return them to. (i use two different branches of the same bank-it works out well).-they have a coin counter and count them for free for customers-i dont even have to wrap them.
  • Options
    SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    So does the bank count something like $490 in halves and ask you if you got 10 silver half dollars out of that batch?

My bank says that they can't order them for me image
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So does the bank count something like $490 in halves and ask you if you got 10 silver half dollars out of that batch? no the counter is setting by itself -they do not check what kind of coins you bring in. it totals them up and you take the reciept to the counter and cash it in or deposit it.
    If your bank gets other coins they certainly can order them for you-that may just a convenient way for them to tell you that they dont want to bother....I assume you have a regular bank-and not a credit union-the credit unions usually are more difficult to deal with if you want to get coins-at least in my experience. Or try another bank. Bob
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Searching rolls is grass roots coin collecting at it's best.image
  • Options
    I go to different banks out of town and get what they have on hand. I have visited every bank in every small town within an hour of where I live. I asked my bank how much it cost to ship them but they couldn't tell me right then. I'm going back to talk them today. I would be willing to pay to have them shipped or if it was a significant amount of cost then I would stop going through them. I enjoy going through them and also I enjoy visiting the small out of the way towns.
  • Options
    my bank said it was something like $35 + face to order a box of halves, so they weren't going to do it unless there was a wide demand from the customers.
  • Options
    I went to the bank and got $200 face in rolls of halves (400) coins. Out of this , 178 were 40% silver. The teller told me that they were turned in buy a local company that had them stored away in their vault for many years. I went back to ask if there were any more from that company and she said I got them all. Some were uncirclated and I saved tham. The rest I moved. Typically, in my city, everything is searched many times over. It is common to purchase $100 in halves and find nothing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file