Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hey Airplanenut: Like Gary Patino's Markup?

Comments

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But will smoeone actually pay that much for it?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But will smoeone actually pay that much for it? >>

I can't imagine it, especially for something that was apparently not struck at the Mint.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since it didn't sell for the $4500 I had it listed at, I highly doubt anyone is going to pay 5x that amount.

I must say, though, that I like the look of my listing more image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since it didn't sell for the $4500 I had it listed at, I highly doubt anyone is going to pay 5x that amount.

I must say, though, that I like the look of my listing more >>

I like your listing better as well. I can't imagine ANYONE paying that much for an extremely porous and pitted non-mint product.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also like Jeremy's pictures much better (to say nothing of how much better I like his price! image ) Why did Patino use the "reverse" picture at the top of his ebay listing? The reverse is nothing; all the action is on the "obverse."

Mark

P.S.: Jeremy: When do classes end at MIT? And, how did/do you like your first year there?
    Mark

• Options

<< <i>P.S.: Jeremy: When do classes end at MIT? And, how did/do you like your first year there? >>

My last exam is on Tuesday the 22nd or 23rd (don't remember which day is the Tuesday). School's been fun, but there are times when it's an overwhelming amount of work... now is one of those times image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Since it didn't sell for the $4500 I had it listed at, I highly doubt anyone is going to pay 5x that amount.

I must say, though, that I like the look of my listing more image >>

I also liked Jeremy's listing better, but I would not say that it can't / won't sell at the higher number.

The numismatic marketplace is remarkably inefficient, IMO, and it is entirely possible that THE buyer of that coin(?) didn't see it listed the first time, didn't know about it, will see it now, will fall in love and all will be right with the world.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not care for it for $4500. I do not like it any more for $22,000+. image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    If that sells for $22,000, I'm quitting my day job. I could probably make more as a coin dealer.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    It's very disturbing that, with the growing popularity of patterns, and the lack of true price guides, many dealers (and, at times, collectors) feel gouging is a good way to make a buck.image This type of listing is not unusual, IMHO, in patterns.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice pics Jeremy.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy: good luck with your finals; come back to visit all your friends in NJ this summer. At 22K, I'll take 5 of those beauties for Christmas gifts.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Oh yea. Good luck with finals. The 4 years will blow by you quicker than you realize. However, the friend that you make in college will be around forever. I still see my dorm-mates from college.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    SFDukieSFDukie Posts: 618
    Good luck on finals Jeremy!

from the latter listing:
    Please take a look at the pictures. Buyer to pay $30.00 s/h/i please. There is no reserve price on this coin so high bidder gets it. I'll send this via registered and insured mail. That means that anyone handling it must sign for it. Payment can be by check, money order, or PayPal. Thanks for looking!

If I were to pay 22k+ for a coin, I'd kinda expect the seller to pay for S&H. I'd think it wouldn't affect their profit margin too much image
  • Options

<< <i>Jeremy: good luck with your finals; come back to visit all your friends in NJ this summer. At 22K, I'll take 5 of those beauties for Christmas gifts. >>

I'll be in NJ this summer just for passing through (a flight and driving back to school--I'll let you know if a few days in your area happen, which is conceivable).

Jeremy
  • Options
  • Options
    Nice. He relisted it, let it run its course and cancelled all bids and ended it when the bids weren't high enough.image

Listing
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    This should make for an interesting thread. Where's the little popcorn eating guy?
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you cycle through the "relisted" links, he's relisted it five times and just canceled the last listing.

I don't get it...
    Doug
  • Options

<< <i>If you cycle through the "relisted" links, he's relisted it five times and just canceled the last listing.

I don't get it... >>

Looking for a big score...and it ain't happening.
  • Options
    Cool! I enjoyed that one... but 22k? Doesn't look like it's in the lucky numbers...
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    Well that is an interesting coin-- a neat pattern, but it is lacking something intangible to get big bucks--eye appeal.image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Nice history,disturbing listing,and sorry Jeremy,but i dont like the eye appeal either,but at least your price isnt CRAZY.JMOimage
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options

<< <i>Nice history,disturbing listing,and sorry Jeremy,but i dont like the eye appeal either,but at least your price isnt CRAZY.JMOimage >>

Jeremy's price was right in the ballpark. The $22k price was a 550 foot bomb.
  • Options
    For those who don't like it, let's be fair... go find a nicer one! The obverse really isn't too bad in hand, and the reverse doesn't have anything to begin with. The price, though, was set by a consignor, not me.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    You have to love it when a seller wants 22K for a coin, and then has the nads to ask for $30 for shipping..... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    How in the world does this item even merit the term "pattern"?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One more try! >>

Now THAT is more reasonable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file