Home Metal Detecting
Options

Found a nice little uh .... metal box.

For lack of a better description. Looks like it might be some kind of balm/ makeup container ? There is something rattling around inside there, but I haven't pried it open yet. It will take some force, and I don't want to damage it trying to see what it contains.
I've been eyeballing this lot I have drove past multiple times a day for the past week by where I'm working at. I could tell by the tree patterns ect that once, there stood a house there. This is in a very run down section of Detroit, and for once I went packing while detecting. Went to work half an hour early with the intention of probing this lot.
This place has got potential, not much trash there at all, telling me that once the house was gone, there was not much activity at this lot [unlike some others that have become a hang out for wino parties and what not, and are trashed with bottle caps].
Found this about 4 inches down.
First pic is what it looked like right out of the ground.
Second is slightly cleaned up.
Third is size comparison [note that the image of the "thing" above the quarter in the 3rd pic is not to scale - I pasted it in and resized it to fit].
Actually has a nice pattern on it, with birds, fish, and some "what-nots".
Composition is apparently copper, and there is some kind of name on the botton, can't quite make it out yet.
So .... If I get it cleaned up much better, and/or find that in contains anything interesting, I'll post back.

JJ

Comments

• Options
    CROCKofCOINSCROCKofCOINS Posts: 1,545
    >>There is something rattling around inside there, but I haven't pried it open yet. It will take some force, and I don't want to damage it trying to see what it contains.<<

It might have glass inside. Like a mirror. :-)

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    JJ nice find on the compact,like Jerry said maybe a mirror or possably a gold coin.Some gold coin's have been found in these.
    If you want to get it open either soak it in olive oil for awhile or spray wd-40 around the seem and the hinge area.
    Good luck and HH,Tom
  • Options
    Yeah it is soaking in OO as we speak.
    An engraved name is starting to make itslef clear on the bottom also.
    JJ
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Jerry said. It might be a compact (cosmetics case), in which case it isn't unusual to find the mirror in there (or even a cake of vintage makeup!).

I've dug 50-60-year old lipsticks that still had the lipstick in there, and it still smelled like lipstick! Tough stuff! No wonder it's so hard to get the stains off one's collar! image

That looks 1920s at the newest, if you ask me.

Maybe it's a gold coin rattlin' 'round in there! image

That same thought ocurred to me before I read the previous mention of it. Great minds think alike!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Interesting find. There might well be some nice piece in there!
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    That's a rouge tin.
    It should have a small glass mirror fastened to the lid on the inside,.... probably what you hear rattling.
    My mother used them back in the 1950's.

Ray
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Posts: 903
    Yep, rouge box. I've seen the lady's use them when I was very young back in the '50's. Here's one I found in front of my house. No gold in mine. image It's a "Lady Ester's Rouge" box and has a message on the back:

image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions