Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found in back yard today! Now have scans!

bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭
I found a coin that I have not been able to identify. I have scans but I seem to be having difficulty in getting them attached. I will continue to try and I will elaborate more on the coin when/if I am successful. It appears to be a quarter eagle of the classic head type. The coin is dated 1842 and is almost exactly the size of a dime. There is no denomination on the coin and the reverse is similar to the capped head reverse, but differs slightly. Also ther is no E Pluribus Unum on the reverse.
And I ain't lying this time.

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ?
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i> >>

I didn't find anything, either.
  • Options
    Okay I got the scans attached to the original message!
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    Some sort of pattern coin?

Got me, never seen anything quite like it before.

What type of metal does it seem to be made of? Hard to tell from that scan.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty weird. Some kinda hard times token, I'd guess. You say you found that in your friggin' back yard? Pretty neat!
    mirabela
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Neat, way to go.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not familiar with this but many of this sort of thing are notgeld, German play money, game counters and the like.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I'm not exactly sure except that there is a coppery or goldish look beneath the brownish grey "overcoat" . I presume it was in the soil for a long time and think that if it were copper, it would be terribly corroded.
  • Options
    I just built a new home and had seven dumptruck loads of topsoil hauled in and it was evidently in one of those loads. There was a lot of other crap in the soil as well. I think it had been scooped up near an old homesite.
  • Options
    I am thinking about scratching in one of the clipped/dinged areas with a needle to see if it will let me see what it is made of.
  • Options
    Maybe a pattern quarter eagle? Wait for more feedback before you "scratch" it....
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

I would say that it is not a coin,it has a metal turn to it. Both the reverse and obverse are north on the coin.

Jmho.

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    I flipped the coin for the scans, it has the traditional orientation for obverse/reverse of US coins. Notice the damaged areas to confirm this.

No, you are correct!!! Disregard the above!!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Children's play money from the 1950's or so.

peacockcoins

• Options

Your right,sorry.

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    Possibly play money. I wonder why it isn't corroded more though, and why there is no denomination on it.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Neat find!!!

Here is my take:

The coin is based on the classic head design of the 1830s - but since it is more crudely executed and dated 1842, I would all but conclude that the piece is NOT mint made.

Furtermore, since the classic head design had been discontinued by 1842, that I would thing that very well WOULD be the date it was made - (if the piece was made more recently, and it's makers backdated in an attempt to fein antiquity, I would think they would choose a more plausible 1830s date.)

Those uniform clips HAD to serve some function, and therefore we can CONCLUDE that the coin you have is MISSING whatever gave those clips context; maybe something, like a button, or a medal, or a piece of jewelry.

IF the piece were gold, it would still look like gold even after being in the ground for 160 years. If it has ANY green, it has copper in it. If there is no green, it may very well be silver to have survived int he ground this long. Whatever you do, I WOULD NOT scratch it with a needle - no matter what color you see, you still are going to have questions, so why damage your find?

• Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Possibly play money. I wonder why it isn't corroded more though, and why there is no denomination on it. >>

I'd assume because it was made fairly well. Hate to have people taking them and saying they're "Counterfeit".

After all, there were people that accepted gold plated V-Nickels as Five Dollar gold coins.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options

Sorry again but,The big hole is at the top of the obverse and also at the top of the reverse.Wouldn't the top of the reverse be at the bottom of the obverse?
    Sorry if i'm being stupid.image

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    No, and you were right and I edited my comment above to reflect that. Thanks.
  • Options
    This may be going overboard, especially if it isn't a real coin, but the two damaged areas are distinctly different from each other. The top area looks like a clip. The bottom area has rim indentation damage and it also looks like it was hit with a sharp nail set or something. At least thats the way it looks.
  • Options

I would say that the clip at the top is not a clip,it's to narrow.

Jmho.

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    What a fabulous find! This appears to be an uncatalogued (unknown?) hard times token. My guess is that it is a Whig Token distributed during the disastrous 1842 Congressional elections. That would explain the lack of a merchant, state or denomination designation. This is just a wild guess though. It may very well be significant. Do you have Rulau's book? If not, I can get it out of my library tonight and see if there is anything, but I don't think there is.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Clip-like, not like a clip from something happening at the mint, but after it was made.
  • Options
    No I do not have that book and would appreciate any info you could dig up!
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>No I do not have that book and would appreciate any info you could dig up! >>

I looked through mine. The craftsmanship of what you have and the date fit with HTTs. Surely there is an expert in tokens around here. You may have to ttt this thread tomorrow in the morning and in the late afternoon t get a bite. Also, host the images somewhere and edit them into your top post. These things are usually copper or brass. I cannot imagine they would survive in that state burried in the dirt for over a century and a half. Looks like it was mounted originally and probably worn as a button for something. Good luck and it will be neat to know what it turns out to be.

John C
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126

Jim
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably once part of a costume jewelry piece.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TTT. Any other help/suggestions/comments would be appreciated. I will be unavailable to post until around from noon til after midnnight as I will be at work.

Thanks,

Michael
  • Options
    From my detecting experience I would say that your best indication of how old it may be is to find where they brought the dirt in from. After that I would find someone to detect the rest of the dirt or area. With that info you should be able to create a date window. Where are you located. It just doesn't have the typical "look" of an old dug coin.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Coin facsimile. Not "real".
  • Options
    Any more opinions?
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not familiar with this but many of this sort of thing are notgeld, German play money, game counters and the like. >>

This would be a Spielmark, not Notgeld. Notgeld was emergency money printed by local govenments or even private companies during wartime or hyperinflationary times when the money supply was insufficient.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not familiar with this but many of this sort of thing are notgeld, German play money, game counters and the like. >>

This would be a Spielmark, not Notgeld. Notgeld was emergency money printed by local govenments or even private companies during wartime or hyperinflationary times when the money supply was insufficient. >>

You're right I misspoke.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    It is a Spielmark for sure. No denomination, base metal, sometimes with a brass or even silver wash. I have similar "coins" like that in my collection of fakes and replicas. It also might be a decoration for clothing, since the button manufacturers of the 1860's-1880's in Waterbury, CT made similar pieces.

Cool item though!
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    Nice Find! Maybe A Token? image

TC71

• Options
    lloydmincylloydmincy Posts: 1,861
    No patterns made that year, FYI...
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji