Home Sports Talk
Options

Millen botches Harrington's departure... this guy is unreal

A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
I just can't believe this guy is still running the team. He is an icon of ineptitude.

The Lions made the decision to get rid of Joey several months ago, yet this idiot failed to put together a trade before the draft. Miami was willing to take Harrington and even pay the guy decent money. Joey wanted to go there, they were offering a 7th round pick next year and Millen decides it's better to hold off, instead try dealing him to Cleveland (where Harrington was not willing to go, and no financial arrangement had been made in advance) on the final day of the draft and now they will get absolutely nothing for him.

Miami knows no one else is interested (and no one should be - he sucks and will always suck in the NFL), and now they'll just wait a month for the Lions to release him and get him for nothing.

Nice going Millen. Total moron.

Comments

• Options
    Truer words have never been spoken. It's hard to believe anyone other than the Bills owner would employ Millen.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    At least Millen didn't draft a W.R with their 1st pick again lol
  • Options
    LOL, I'm sure he had Chad Jackson's name on another first round card at the table.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I just can't believe this guy is still running the team. He is an icon of ineptitude.

The Lions made the decision to get rid of Joey several months ago, yet this idiot failed to put together a trade before the draft. Miami was willing to take Harrington and even pay the guy decent money. Joey wanted to go there, they were offering a 7th round pick next year and Millen decides it's better to hold off, instead try dealing him to Cleveland (where Harrington was not willing to go, and no financial arrangement had been made in advance) on the final day of the draft and now they will get absolutely nothing for him.

Miami knows no one else is interested (and no one should be - he sucks and will always suck in the NFL), and now they'll just wait a month for the Lions to release him and get him for nothing.

Nice going Millen. Total moron. >>

Let's not forget that the Fords gave this neanderthal a five or six year extension at 5 mil per year at the end of the 05 season. As a looonnng suffering Lions fan I'm becoming numb to the Fords' ineptitude, but occasionally something happens-- in this case the contract extension--that really irks me. You may have missed it but at the Bengals game last year a local radio station put on an event called the 'Angry Fan March', where a few thousand fans got together and marched around Ford Field with effigies of Millen hanging from broomsticks. People here are just at the boiling point, yet there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it.

But look on the bright side-- at least we passed on the next Joe Montana in the draft in order to pick up an undersized linebacker with a history of concussions! So if that isn't progress I don't know what is!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Millen is the picture of ineptitude.

The Lions have let Harrington and several coaches take the blame and fall for this clown's inability to be a GM...at what point do they start to suspect that it couldn't possibly be all those people's faults, and it truly is Millen's?

It makes me wonder what Millen has in blackmail over the owners. How else do you explain away a guy who's record is worse than the Texans, and he's still employed?

• Options
    The Lions are a reason I have become disgusted with professional football, and have fallen in love with college football (Go Blue!!!!!). The horrible calls of this past Super Bowl just shows what I feel about it, I quit watching the game because there was no chance Seattle was going to be able to get back in it. I have been a long time Lions fan, and I have friends who chastise me, laugh at me, and many on this board would also do the same, because I supported Wayne Fontes, Scott Mitchell, and Joey Harrington. And only on the Lions, can a player like Herman Moore go from 100+ catches one year, to out of the league the next so to speak. When I get the crapola from my friends about who I supported as Lions, my reply is, "what is the difference, it just does not matter, and if we had Peyton Manning, he would be gone too." At least Wayne got to the playoffs most of the time and we were competitive, at least Mitchell put up good numbers a year or two in his time here, and Joey, what more can be said about a QB who had no targets to throw to, and if he did, they were dropping passes like acid. I feel that Joey deserved one more year here to prove that it is not entirely his fault, he had a running game for what, the 2nd half of the 2004 season, underaverage play from receivers, and they put him in the west coast offense and that is not his style, not to mention a line that could not give him time. Last year went like this, it is Joey's fault, nope, it is Mooch's fault, nope, it is Millen's fault, nah, it was all Joey's fault all the time. The only knock Harrington had, was that he was not a QB that would get into someone's arse if they did not do what they were supposed to do, but is that not a coach's job? Also, they knew drafting him, that Harrington was not a mobile QB. I heard all the ribbing from friends when it came out a month or so ago, that Joey was not going to be the man here, and still, he does not have his release. One thing I hate about pro sports is, if there is no chance someone is not going to play, or you just do not want him, send the guy on his way, and stop doing what you can do to ruin his career. Another thing, it is funny how the Lions are a TEAM, supposed to play like a TEAM, yet, Dre' Bly comes out and blames one person for the mishaps last year. There are a few certains in life with the Lions, any QB drafted or signed will not be able to perform, any coach will not live up to expectations, they will never win a Super Bowl as long as a Ford owns the team, and the Fords will side with the obvious reason of all the losing.

I have made my bets for next season with friends already, only if Harrington goes to Miami, and if he plays persuant to Daunte Culpepper's knee injury. I am very highly looking forward to a Joey Harrington vs. Detroit, Thanksgiving Day game. I hope it happens, because I can guarandamntee you all that he is going to put a hurting on the Lions. That is also another guarantee, former players will come back and put a foot up the pooper. Just Watch!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Millen is the picture of ineptitude.

The Lions have let Harrington and several coaches take the blame and fall for this clown's inability to be a GM...at what point do they start to suspect that it couldn't possibly be all those people's faults, and it truly is Millen's?

It makes me wonder what Millen has in blackmail over the owners. How else do you explain away a guy who's record is worse than the Texans, and he's still employed? >>

This doesn't happen in the Bizarro World that is Lions football. The Fords are more or less on the record as stating that they won't fire anyone, for any reason, if they 'like them'. No joke. In the late 80's, after another disasterous campaign, then coach Darryl Rogers openly asked the press 'What does a guy got to do to get fired around here?' That's a true story. Also, Millen went on record as saying that if he was the owner, and his GM has put up the kind of record that he had, he's have booted the loser out of the organization by now.

Even Millen is stunned that he still has a job. Although I doubt he's as shocked as those of us who follow this team.
  • Options
    I think Joey is thanking the stars above for his departure from that franchise, which is a sad thing for such a long standing and proud team. To have fallen this far, for this long, and to be the league's picture of failure (Now that cincinnati has returned to the playoffs) must be a new low.

The lions still get a thanksgiving day game? At what point does that stop? No offense, but shouldnt the league want their best matchups on turkey day?
  • Options

<< <i>I think Joey is thanking the stars above for his departure from that franchise, which is a sad thing for such a long standing and proud team. To have fallen this far, for this long, and to be the league's picture of failure (Now that cincinnati has returned to the playoffs) must be a new low.

The lions still get a thanksgiving day game? At what point does that stop? No offense, but shouldnt the league want their best matchups on turkey day? >>

I can't argue with a word you just wrote. The organization is a disgrace to the NFL; there's no other way to put it. With the possible exception of the Cardinals no franchise has been as bad, as long, as the Detroit Lions. That's the cold truth and there's no hiding from it. And now that the Cardinals have the next great NFL QB in their fold we probably won't even have them to kick around much longer.
  • Options
    I feel your pain.

Until the Glazers took control of the Bucs, they were a story of mismanagement. No amount of talent on the coaching staff could make do with the miserly ways of the previous owner, who made bad decision after bad decision. Bo Jackson doesn't want to play for you? Draft him anyways!

It just seems like they are destined for this same cycle of bad move after bad move...and Millen will still be there grinning like a chimp the whole time. If he had some onions he'd resign, but then he knows he'd never get another GM job.

• Options

<< <i>I feel your pain.

Until the Glazers took control of the Bucs, they were a story of mismanagement. No amount of talent on the coaching staff could make do with the miserly ways of the previous owner, who made bad decision after bad decision. Bo Jackson doesn't want to play for you? Draft him anyways!

It just seems like they are destined for this same cycle of bad move after bad move...and Millen will still be there grinning like a chimp the whole time. If he had some onions he'd resign, but then he knows he'd never get another GM job. >>

It's a case study in what happens when job security is not tied in with performance. And you're right, it won't change anytime soon.
  • Options
    Millen should be grinning like a chimp, because he is laughing millions of dollars to the bank, from essentially, doing not a dayum thing!!! Wait, he did do something, he ran a few good Lion players outta town!!!!!!
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Ford is the same Lions owner that kept the worthless Wayne Fontes as head coach for an unbelieveable 8 years.

Ford and Millen just deserve each other, the Lions fans deserve much better.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    The subject of different teams playing on Thanksgiving was brought up at an owners meeting a few years
    ago but got shot down by the commissioner. Ford argued that the Lions on Thanksgiving was a tradition
    going back to the 1930s and that the tradition should be preserved. The commissioner agreed and the
    idea went nowhere. I don't recall if there was an actual vote of the owners on this issue.
  • Options
    DaBeefDaBeef Posts: 2,478
    I for one think Harrington IS a quality started in the NFl. If he would have went to a team like the Ravens, or Titans, I think he could have helped the team. He couldnt do anything in Detroit but who could.

Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In the late 80's, after another disasterous campaign >>

Haven't the Lions always been a disasterous campaign? I can't remember them ever being a good team, even with the best running back of all time.