Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the intent of "shows"?

keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
Last time I went to a show, I came across many tables rented but no coins displayed (usually the table was empty, unattended but obviously a homebase). Seems a little like what the CSNS show was like. Okay, I give up......whats the point of renting a table or even saying that you'll be at the show. I'm waiting for the show that entails of acres of tables, no coins seen and people apparently doing white hot business. Gotta love the irony of a business based "servicing" a collector community when no one is available. Yes, I know, that isn't the model anymore........one must have agents in order to transact business. I realize that I'll get roasted for the comments.......have at it!!!

keoj

Comments

• Options
    You need a table to business (dealer) on the floor...
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options
    The FUN show had a ton of tables that were mostly full.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    It is somewhat annoying, but many of the "empty table" dealers are doing only dealer-to-dealer business anyway. I'm surprised more of those guys don't split tables to save some money. Why pay for an entire empty table when you can split the cost?

I can see the value in having a secure place to sit down and go through boxes, write invoices or whatever, though.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Many dealers are only interested in doing wholesale business with other dealers and see no need to
    stay at a table since they are not interested in selling to the general public.

When the business is done they are ready to leave, often before the show even opens to the public.
    Some will put in a token appearance at a table and then pack up and head out.

This creates a never ending conflict and disappointment on the part of the general public who want to
    buy and sell but find the place half empty of dealers.

Not all shows are like this of course but enough of them are to leave a bad taste in the mouths
    of collectors.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>It is somewhat annoying, but many of the "empty table" dealers are doing only dealer-to-dealer business anyway. I'm surprised more of those guys don't split tables to save some money. Why pay for an entire empty table when you can split the cost?

I can see the value in having a secure place to sit down and go through boxes, write invoices or whatever, though. >>

Why not a one day dealer to dealer only show? You could probably do without an expensive table setup
    system and not have to spend money on hotel expenses. Rent a large room at an airport, dealers
    fly in, do their business and fly out on the same day. No annoying public to deal with and save money
    in the process.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    They actually had a few dealer only shows like you describe at one time. I forget what they called them.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they are called "trade and grade"
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    The old ones that Condor was refering to were called the Bull 100.

Shows that are advertised to the public should do everything in their power to have both full and part time dealers available to them when they are advertised to be there.

Ron Gillio and the Long Beach show began eliminating Sunday and requiring that the dealers stay until 5P on Saturday. If they did not, they were moved to a less advantageous location for the next event. That worked.

The ANA has instituted rules about early departure, as well, and that has worked as well.

If the public demands a huge show, then unfortunately, they are not going to attract enough of the dedicated dealers to fully staff a show and the public will have to accept that.

If the public will accept a smaller show with only dealers that will guarantee to stay, that may work also, but it will not have all the glitz and will probably not have a major auction with it. The larger events are mostly for profit events and the organizers will probably not be as interested in producing this kind of event as they will not be able to make as much of a profit as the larger show.

It is a difficult situation to balance. That is for sure.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file