Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The most common, boring proof platinum coin

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is the 1997 tenth ounce. If I'm not mistaken, it almost sold out with a mintage of 37,250. The original issue price was $99, an outrageous sum, considering platinum was trading between $350 and $400 an oz. If you wanted to pick a dog in the proof platinum series, this is the one.

It's currently going for about $130 on eBay.

My point? Looking at the historical issue prices of proof platinum coins, there isn't a single one in any denomination that you could have bought from the mint that you would be underwater on. Worried about cameo vs/ DCAM? Water spots? Coins turning in their holders? Take a dremel and carve your initials into a one ounce 1997 proof platinum coin and you'll still get almost $450 more than the issue price of $695 for it.

Yeah, I am a big fan!
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Take a dremel and carve your initials into a one ounce 1997 proof platinum coin and you'll still get almost $450 more than the issue price of $695 for it. >>

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " If you wanted to pick a dog in the proof platinum series, this is the one."

Yet - that "lowly" 1997 $10 coin is one of the TOUGHEST coins to locate in perfect grade of nearly ANY Proof Platinum coin of any denomination 1997-2006. The coin comes plagued with planchet defects -horribly so. A good portion of the PR69DC coins are not even that nice. There is a reason that coin is POP 1 to this day at PCGS in PR70DC grade, while a $10 Plat coin like the year 2000 has nearly 3 dozen PR70DC's at PCGS.

I am a huge fan of the "lowly" 1997 $10 plat. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file