Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Another Paypal Scam Email

I just got an email saying I was sending a $290+ payment to a seller for a camera phone. The only place on the email that any link works is the "Dispute Claim" link. When you click on the link you go to a page that looks JUST LIKE the main Paypal page.

What makes this so scary is the scam page is so well done. I reported it to Paypal, lets see what happens. I've gotten dozens of scam Paypal emails before, but this one is the most realistic so far.

Just a heads up for everyone. image
Looking for Carl Willey items.

Comments

• Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194
    I received the same e-mail. The is the best scam one I have received.
  • Options
    I've rec'd those kinds many times and was addressed to my real name. The scam I got was I paid for an Ipod and to be sent to unconfirmed address in Texas. There's a link to dispute the payment.
    I believe those are the html type bogus paypal page you got. Actually I rec'd that scam as blank body page with just my real name and some of those paypal headers (I shut off my yahoo html since paypal send in text not html). When I turned on the html I was surprised to see that the scam looked like a real paypal receipt page. Right click on the body of that email you'll see where that html came from. Take note I used this email ad just for paypal! Makes me think how did the scammers got my real name. I'm thinking paypal has security flaw. Then after couple of weeks I found out from ebay message board that there is indeed a security flaw. Someone said over there that the security flaw was (also mentioned on some tech news site) when paypal sent you those customer service evaluation/survey that's where the security flaw is and they knew it since 2004 or early 2005 I think. two weeks ago called paypal about my account. Afterwards I didn't get those survey/evaluation from customer service. I guess they're trying to fix it or they stop sending (so far didn't get one). others mentioned there's also a flaw on ebay because ebay sends those end of auctions email with buyer and sellers real name so scammers intercept these mails.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    Anytime you see one of those "dispute claim" buttons, always right-click on it and view the link's properties. You'll be able to see immediately that the link goes to some bizarre website and not PayPal.

Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    The only one that scared me was when I was called at home to provide me with a special customer service 800 number !!image
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get atleast 1 email from those SOBs a week. Fed Up with it too!