Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: K-435 Aventinus Death Medal

K-435 AVENTINUS (Johann Turmair), 1929, Struck Bronze, 60mm, edge-punch “BAYER._HAUPTMÜNZAMT” (Munich Mint). UNC/Gussfrisch. This medal is also struck in 60mm silver, and cast in 118mm bronze.

This medal was commissioned by the Bavarian Numismatic Society in 1929 to commemorate the 395th year of Turmair’s death. Adventinus wrote Annales Boiorum (1517-1521) the history of Bavaria and is called the greatest writer of humanism.

Obverse: Half-length of Aventinus with hands on book. “K.G.” in exergue.

Reverse: The inscription, in Latin, praises Aventinus as a learned, faithful, and dutiful man endowed with a love for his Fatherland and outward admiration for Bavaria and Germany. He is admired as a student of the ancient and as a numistmatist. His year of death is given as “MDLXXXIIII” (1584) while the actual year was 1534. Goetz corrected the date in the later Opus 492 commemorating the 400th year of his death.

High Resolution example

Comments

• Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Ah the quest continues.....Nice one!!
    Shep
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shep...this will have to fill the hole for the time being as the large 118mm pieces are difficult to obtain. There's one in the Moeller auction but it sits low on my priority bid list. image
  • Options
    Awesome photography and Goetz as well. All ways happy to click your thread.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Nice one. Why were different sizes struck for this one?
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    How many does this make?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice one. Why were different sizes struck for this one? >>

It was a matter of economics...few wanted the large cast piece, the silver struck pieces probably went to the fat cats who commissioned the piece, and then he struck the bronze to sell to the common person that wanted one but couldn't afford the others. Goetz did this with most of his designs.

<< <i> How many does this make? >>

I haven't really checked in some time...probably about 400. As my collection advances it becomes more difficult to acquire stuff as the pieces become rarer and rarer. I'm way behind on my collection database, I know that! image
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm way behind on my collection database, I know that! >>

I vote for you taking a week off from work and catching up. You owe it to the forum. Okay, not really to us, but it is extremely cool that you do this!

Cathy

• Options

<< <i>I vote for you taking a week off from work and catching up. You owe it to the forum. Okay, not really to us, but it is extremely cool that you do this! >>

I agree, thanks.

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    Looks like Goetz has had a soft spot for incorrect dates and numbers. image

Great medal! image
    imageimage