Home U.S. Coin Forum

Surface Preservation is the most important factor in determining a grade; strike, luster and eye-app

This is Jim Halperin's formula, I don't just make this stuff up (or usually not)

After getting past BB's use the following chart:

OBVERSE
_____ Surface Preservation (1-5) times two

_____ Strike (1-5)

_____ Luster (1-5)

_____ Eye-Appeal (1-5)

_____ Obverse Total

REVERSE
_____ Surface Preservation (1-5) times two

_____ Strike (1-5)

_____ Luster (1-5)

_____ Eye-Appeal (1-5)

_____ Reverse Total

Now relate these totals to grades:

5 or better = 60

10.75 or better, with a surface grade of at least 1.5 = 61

13.5 or better, with a strike of at least 2 and surface of at least 2.5 = 62

16 or better, with a surface at least 3; and luster, strike and eye appeal at least 2.5 = 63

18 or better, with surface at least 3.25; and luster, strike, and eye appeal at least 3 = 64

20 or better, with surface preservation and strike at least 4, and luster and eye appeal at least 3.5 = 65

21.5 or better, with all components at least 4 = 66

23 or better, with surface preservation at least 4.5; and all other components at least 4 = 67

Note: The lower-graded side is usually the assigned grade. Borderline cases in which the obverse side is at the top end of the grade and the reverse is borderline may be assigned the obverse grade.

My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    That's very helpful, thanks!
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

PCGS graders skip the chart, and give their opinions after looking at the coin for 5 seconds.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS graders skip the chart, and give their opinions after looking at the coin for 5 seconds. >>

As do most people. Seriously, I have never heard of people figuring and using a formula to grade coins. To me, first impression counts for about 80% of a coin's grade, and I adjust the grade only if after more careful scrutiny I find something I missed, which makes a significant difference in the coin's desirability (such as cleaning, or major hits I overlooked)
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

I believe that reference is a bit dated. I wonder what he would say today.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Sure looks complicated. How current is this formula?
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • These "add-'em-up" grading charts tickle me! Observational science tells us that a total is only as accurate as the individual elements: look at the elements of the chart and tell me how one can add up points given to "luster". "eye appeal", even "surface preservation" and come up with a number that has any more meaning than 5 seconds with the coin can provide.

My gripe with PCGS is the lack of an over-time consistency-of-grading measure. Looking at a grading set helps some but can not be the entire answer: we all see what we want to see, that's why the same coin will grade all over the map with different TPGs and different graders. To make matters worse, what we want to see changes over time, both short term and long term.

The only way to standardize grading over time is to employ proven "quality control" mechanisms that manufacturing and other industries have found helpful to standardize products and services.

Another rant, SORRY! Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    geez, now you tell me, and I went and printed out a couple hundred. image

Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe that reference is a bit dated. >>

Found it! N.C.I. Grading Guide - Copyright 1986

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surface preservation is rarely an issue with moderns. Eye-appeal usually comes down to
    the condition of the die though there are some differences in planchet and die preparation.
    Generally modern grading comes down to strike quality and marking.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file