Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

pricg guide question

When using say the PCGS price guide for circulated coins in AU the grade on the holder
can be AU50 thru AU58. On an expensive coin that can be quite a spread. Do most
people consider AU price for a AU55 coin? I realize there is alot more to consder then
grade when looking at what you are willing to spend but it is a starting point.

Comments

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Generally when a price guide gives a descriptive grade, e.g. VG, AU, etc. it goes like this:
    G = 04
    VG = 08
    F = 10
    VF =20
    XF = 40
    AU = 50
    BU = 60
    Select BU = 63
    GEM BU = 65

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Those numbers after the grade have always comfused the heck out of me. I keep hearing or reading so many different explanations of the differences and so many do not agree. Then I've seen coins graded as AU-58 and when I asked why so and not AU-55, 56, 57, I am usually told who knows. Who sets these standards and where do they get the authority to do so? Why for instance is the AU's all in the 50's and not such things as AU-41 or AU-33 or AU-74? Is a EF-87 a higher grade than a AU-36? Why are so many coins in the 2007 Red Book near the end without any of these numbers after the grade. Example is page 332 shows only Unc. and PF. Why are some of the letters in Unc small case and why both in Proof capitals. Why is XF better than VF? Who says so? Why not Good, Real Good, Fantastically Good, Even Gooder, The Goodest?
    Carl
  • Options
    Carl take a breath.

Perhaps an example would be better. I am selling a 1893-O Morgan in PCGS AU50.
    I couldn't find recent auctions for this date and grade so I checked the price guide.

EF-$650

AU-$1,100

MS60-$1,800

So if the coin is typical for the grade knowing what number AU represents can be very helpful.
    Had the coin come back AU58 it should be priced closer to the MS60 money.
    This works both in caps.and lower case.

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    As has been said a thousand times, the price guides are just a GUIDE to value. Use your head and realize that a coin is worth ONLY what someone else will pay you for it. What is your house worth? Now go out and see if someone will pay you that amount for it. Steveimage
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    Most will look to buy at the lower price and sell at the higher. Best bet for something common like most Morgans check Heritage, Teletrade and Ebay to see what coins at the same grade are selling for. Even coins at the exact same grade may vary 50% or more in price, depending on eye appeal. There is no rule of thumb, and every buyer is a bit different.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Yes, most consider AU-55 as the AU price.

That's what PCGS does in their price guide.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When using say the PCGS price guide for circulated coins in AU the grade on the holder
    can be AU50 thru AU58. On an expensive coin that can be quite a spread. Do most
    people consider AU price for a AU55 coin?... >>

To answer your question directly, I have some general guidelines I have found usefull over many years:

1. AU price guide listing means AU50.
    2. AU53 is worth slightly more than AU50, maybe ten percent over AU50.
    3. AU55 price is one-third of the way from AU50 to MS60 pricing.
    4. AU58 price is half of the way from AU50 to MS60 pricing.

I must admit, that in this hot coin market, the price guides are seldom very good current market quides.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file