Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

rare '95 Upper Deck Ichiro Media Card available

If there are any Ichiro collectors trolling this board, i recently picked up a one of the very rare '95 Upper Deck Collector's Choice #59 Ichiro media cards which is supposedly his rarest card (excluding cards with "1/1" stamped on them in the manufacturing process). The card is still in Japan but will be mailed to me sometime over the next few days. Once the card is in hand, i will likely try to sell it.

Not being particularly knowledgable in Ichiro or his cards, I had to do a bit of research myself before i made the decision to try to acquire the card. In researching on the internet about the specifics of this card, I came across an article on Ichiro in the PSA Library written by Gary Engel and Simeon Lipman.

According to the article, the UD "media" cards were printed in the US by Upper Deck who gave the entire print run of 200 cards to Ichiro as he started to establish his career in Japan. The card was never distributed through any other channel and supposedly the few copies of the card that have surfaced can trace their origins back to Ichiro as he apparently gave the cards out to friends, family members and business associates early in his career as a player for the Orix Blue Wave. I recently obtained the card through a friend in Japan who got it from someone who apparently knows Ichiro which i why i'm waiting for it to be mailed to me.

The PSA article (old) mentions a value of $800 on the card. The '06 SCD Catalog says $1,000 and a collector's website (www.collectingichiro.com) places a range of $3-4K on the card.

I know the CU BBS is not necessarily overflowing with modern collectors and that the Beckett board would probably be the better venue for a post on Ichiro. Apparently, the folks at Beckett have started to prohibit any posts that possibly involve selling anything and will cancel any such postings.

If there's an Ichiro collector out there who is interested in adding this card to their collection, please contact me via PM.

thanks,
Kirk

Link to Ichiro article from PSA Library

Link to www.collectingichiro.com