Home Sports Talk
Options

Was Delmon Young out of line?

Interesting subject, not that anyone cares about the Devil Rays. but still............throwing a bat at an umpire, what is that about? The best player according to Baseball America...........throws a bat after getting ejected on a 3rd strike call (and a good call). I'd be interested in knowing the opinions of others out there on someone who was paid $4,000,000 (yes, that's 4 million) to play a game we would all dream to play. Would it be out of line for him to have had his last at-bat for this year and serve the rest under suspension? Better yet, ride the bench watching his teammates play baseball. What a sad sap for a baseball player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Duh. Totally out of line. A season-ending suspension is certainly warranted. Heck, it might even be a light punishment for such disgraceful behavior.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    No, he wasn't out of line at all. I mean, people need to respect him because he's 20 and can play baseball. That umpire was wrong for making him mad. He brought it on himself by calling Delmon out. Totally the umpire's fault.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Was he out of line? I know the umpire should have made little Delmon lose his temper like that, but seriously, if they don't suspend him for a year - it will be a great disappointment.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Regardless of the correctness of the umpire's call or his actions, spoken words, Etc.,......

Highly paid professional athletes MUST show some respect for the officials. Throwing bats, mouth-pieces, saliva, or anything at the refs is a horrible deed and shows no sign of self-control or maturity. The calls don't always go your way, that's part of life.

Any kind of physical "contact" with an umpire, other than very casual or seemingly insignificant bumps or rubs, should be delt with quite harshly.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    He should be gone for the rest of the year!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    He had a bad childhood.

It's not his fault.

imageimage
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Yeah, it was stupid, but c'mon-- it's not like he attacked a fan with a switch blade. Somehow I think both he and the ump will still have the chance to go on and live happy, productive lives.

It was a bat, it wasn't thrown all that hard, and it hit the ump in the chest protector. You see worse stuff than that every night in the NHL.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Boo

suppose the bat hit the ump in the face? then would your opinion be a tad harsher?

cmon, the guy threw the bat IN THE DIRECTION of the UMPIRE. That alone should get him a suspension. The fact he did not hit the UMP in the face kept him out of JAIL.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The guy who tossed the cup of beer at Ron Artest got 30 days in jail for assault and battery, and 2 years probation!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Boo

suppose the bat hit the ump in the face? then would your opinion be a tad harsher?

cmon, the guy threw the bat IN THE DIRECTION of the UMPIRE. That alone should get him a suspension. The fact he did not hit the UMP in the face kept him out of JAIL.

Steve >>

Maybe. I don't know. Don't get me wrong-- it was classless. But it's getting blown out of proportion. Like I said-- nobody got hurt, and my feeling after watching the replay is that it wasn't Young's intention to maim.

Also, nowhere in my post did I say he shouldn't get suspended. I think he should, and he certainly will. But if shooting your ass full of human growth hormone only gets you 50 games then tossing a bat at an ump shouldn't get you 160.

• Options
    A cup of beer is not a bat! If I am at work, and I tossed an object at a coworker, boss, or anyone there, in a reason where I am highly ticked off, chances are close to 100%, my job is done! There would not be any regard to the reason why I am pissed, or why my emotions "got the best of me."
  • Options

<< <i>A cup of beer is not a bat! If I am at work, and I tossed an object at a coworker, boss, or anyone there, in a reason where I am highly ticked off, chances are close to 100%, my job is done! There would not be any regard to the reason why I am pissed, or why my emotions "got the best of me." >>

Using that logic every pitcher who's ever thrown a bean ball should be kicked out of the league for life.

• Options
    Not every pitcher intentionally throws a ball at a batter. Delmon Young should have just walked back to the dugout, exchanging a word or two is much different than tossing a bat. Whether he meant to toss it and hit the ump or not, it still hit him. Problem in this country is, apparently, an action of one, can be blamed on another person. On that note, the speeding ticket I got last year, was not my fault, I had to get home to pinch a loaf, I want my $75 back, and the 2 points off my record!
  • Options

<< <i>Not every pitcher intentionally throws a ball at a batter. Delmon Young should have just walked back to the dugout, exchanging a word or two is much different than tossing a bat. Whether he meant to toss it and hit the ump or not, it still hit him. Problem in this country is, apparently, an action of one, can be blamed on another person. On that note, the speeding ticket I got last year, was not my fault, I had to get home to pinch a loaf, I want my $75 back, and the 2 points off my record! >>

Look-- I'm not saying what he did was right, or excusable, or that he shouldn't be suspended. What I am saying is that IMO people are making a bigger deal out of this then they need to. That's all.
  • Options
    Perhaps you are correct, same way I feel about the steroid issue! If McGwire and Sosa took roids, then it is indeed safe to say, steroids saved baseball. Steroids may help a person recover from injury better, but I still do not care what people say, it still takes a skill to hit an 90 MPH pitch 400 feet. How can one access the % of extra distance caused by a player juicing? McGwire almost hit 50 HRs as a skinny rookie. People say those who took steroids are cheaters, then anyone who ever scuffed up a ball or threw a spit ball, are cheaters! Those who know they were out at the plate, but perhaps the ump did not see it, and they did not show the honesty that they were, are cheaters! Bill Romanowski took the stuff, but I hear nothing about his career being marked with an *! Until I see a failed drug test in either name, witnessed by a notary public with 2 forms of ID, then I will agree with most others. If they took roids, it was on their own part, same with Delmon Young, he tossed a bat, he had the final decision to choose what he did!
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    50 games should be the max. A good point I heard on the radio is that the organization should send him down to the lowest developmental team they have (as sort of punishment), just so he just doesn't go home and get in more trouble...
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, nowhere in my post did I say he shouldn't get suspended. I think he should, and he certainly will. But if shooting your ass full of human growth hormone only gets you 50 games then tossing a bat at an ump shouldn't get you 160. >>

It got Jason Giambi a .340 BA in April!!
  • Options
    Intentional or not, it is still assault. If I had a bat in my hand, and I tossed it at someone in a position of authority, say, a police officer, I would be booked on felonious assault charges. And if I assaulted anyone at my place of employment, I would be out of a job, and that is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not sure if he meant to hit the UMP or not but either way he is an idiot just like Milton Bradley, these guys just have to learn to calm the frig down....life is not that bad I meen your playing a sport for a living and making big bucks. Personally I would suspend him without pay for the rest of the season and give him a probation period as well for next season.