Home Metal Detecting
Options

Oregon Bottles

Since I'm wallowing in a silver drought, I need to post these instead in case anyone is into colorful glass. The two on the left are from Shaniko, Oregon, a 'tourist' ghost town that was a big wool exporting place 100 years ago. When we mentioned we might like to do some detecting and/or looking for bottles we were informed that the town was closed to detecting because of all the other guys in years past who dug the town up, peoples' front yards included. We were happily surprised a little while later when one of the locals gave us the two bottles. I don't know what the clear one is, but the darker one is stamped A B Co on the bottom and 11-s on the side near the bottom. From Internet research I believe this is a beer bottle made in 1911 in Illinois. It's nice and heavy and shows lots of wear on it, but no cracks or chips. Apparently these were unearthed when they dug an addition to the hotel.

I dug the 2nd bottle from the left, and was excited about it until I realized it was only a Burgie beer bottle from the 1950s to 1970s. Came from an old hunting camp close to the Deschutes river. The final item is an old telephone line insulator I spied while going 4WD through crappy, muddy roads looking for good places to detect or look for bottles. (None noticed or I'd post some silver.) This was in the old Grandview area of Oregon, and I have no idea why it was lying there since no telephone lines ever were strung near the place I found it. If you look closely you can see the patent date of May 2, 1893 on it, although they were used for years after that. It's model is Hemingray No. 9, which is also stamped on it.

If anybody knows anything more about these bottles and insulator please let me know.

Comments

• Options
    Demodigger here on the forum is big into bottles.
    Maybe he would know...
  • Options
    Hey try this web site for your insulator,this guy is in Ashland:

www.ecandm.com/home/insulators/

Hey where bout's in Oregon you at?? I'm originally from Medford and know about Shaniko and have been there a few time's when I was younger.
    Just curious since I have never heard of it,but where about's is the Old Grandview at ??
    Also nice bottle's too.HH,Tom
  • Options
    Hi Guys

Im an originally from oregon also, Tom we were neighbors !! Im from Grants Pass !!

The insulator looks like one of the newer taller versions,, the older ones that I have found were a bit shorter and bigger around .

The clear bottle looks like a cream bottle probly from the 50's perhaps early 60's

Rick
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    Link

Here is the link for the insulators that Tom posted !!

Rick

• Options
    No kidden Rick,that is coolimageI was just up there a couple month's ago visiting my folk's.They bought 10 acre's out by the table rock's and built a house out there.
    Man I use to spend most of summer's on the Rogue,Willow lake and a quite a few of the stream's fishing and swimming.
    Thank's for posting the link to that site and HH,Tom
  • Options
    Ever been in the sloughs behind gold rey dam ??

they are on the west side of table rock ,, cool place !!

I ve been to willow lake many times as well as hyatt, and fish lake , diamond lake ,, Never missed an opening weekend until I moved to the desert !!
    Ive metal detected all of the camp grounds at these lakes ,, found some pretty good stuff !!

Rick

• Options
    Yep been thereimagelet's just say my dad wouldn't take me back there again............................well at least not in a canoeimage

Hit all those lake's also,we use to stay at Diamond lake every New Year.There wa also this one place My Dad and I hiked back into.I believe they were called the 7 lake's,there's was no other way in but to hike or go horseback.The lake's were crystal clear and we caught some really nice trout in there.You could see all the way to the bottom of these lake's they were so clear.
    We also use to go to Gold Beach and fish off the jetty for ocean perch every summer also.HH,Tom
  • Options
    Tom it sounds like we lived very similar lives except we did the perch from the jetties in Brookings !! ,, Im surprised our paths never crossed, or maybe they did ??

I was a floorcovering contractor for about 26 years in the area, I have done alot of work in the medford, sams valley, ashland area.

Ive been into the sky lakes many times, I used to take under priveledged kids on 5 day camp trips through them,, what a great time that was !!!

Im glad to know someone from Home !!

Rick

• Options
    Hey you guys I should thank you for that cool link to the insulator site. I guy could burn hours looking into this stuff - insulators, bottles, coins, whatever ...

And Tom, Grandview is east of the Cascades right by Lake Billy Chinook. Virtually nothing remains of the old place except that my father in law can peer back in time 50 years or so when some of the original buildings were still standing or at least leaning. Nothing remaining except for lots of old cans and miscellaneous metals. We've found a couple cellar pits or something but they're totally filled in.

later
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat stuff, even if it isn't round and metallic. I've liked old bottles since I was a kid.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Tom it sounds like we lived very similar lives except we did the perch from the jetties in Brookings !! ,, Im surprised our paths never crossed, or maybe they did ??

I was a floorcovering contractor for about 26 years in the area, I have done alot of work in the medford, sams valley, ashland area.

Ive been into the sky lakes many times, I used to take under priveledged kids on 5 day camp trips through them,, what a great time that was !!!

Im glad to know someone from Home !!

Rick >>

Hey Rick sure sound's like we did imageI try and take my kid's to place's I use to go,but so much has changed around there.
    I took them up there one summer and we went to one of my favorite swimming hole's.
    Boy was I shockedimagesome one had built a house near it and on top of that had taken all the river rock out of that area to use around there house!!The swimming hole use to be about 4 or 5 ft deep now it was like 9ft deep!!They had used a cat with a bucket on it to scoop it all out,that was a real bummerimage
    HH,Tom
  • Options

<< <i>Hey you guys I should thank you for that cool link to the insulator site. I guy could burn hours looking into this stuff - insulators, bottles, coins, whatever ...

And Tom, Grandview is east of the Cascades right by Lake Billy Chinook. Virtually nothing remains of the old place except that my father in law can peer back in time 50 years or so when some of the original buildings were still standing or at least leaning. Nothing remaining except for lots of old cans and miscellaneous metals. We've found a couple cellar pits or something but they're totally filled in.

later >>

Hey Silversanta that's why I save any good site's in my favorite's I come across or somebody else postimage

Wow I had to actually look that up on the map,never heard of Lake Billy Chinook,look's like some good fishingimage
    Hey have you ever gone and hunted around Hells Canyon Dam??South of the dam is a bunch of old homesite's from the copper mine's,plus there is a old school near the river that I hunted once.Didn't find much,but I was new at the hobbie at the time and didn't know how to use my machine that well yet.
    Also there is a bunch of home's in one area that are fenced off and they have a care taker for them.They were company home's used for the worker's and there family's back when the mine's were opened.
    Also a good place to catch cat fish and some nice small mouth bass.HH,Tom