Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Unidentified Coin

I just received these scans from a friend - he bought a collection of coins and this coin was in it.

He is after the identity and possibly a little bit of history.

TIA

Comments

• Options
    SciotoScioto Posts: 955

Great Britain - what diameter?
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • Options
    OK asked him for diameter but I have this:

George 4th 182? Brass
    Pattern on reverse is that of a 1/2 crown
    Edges are fine milled
    Diameter 42mm

There are marks that look like chinese merchant marks
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Looks like 1823 1/2 Crown Silver to me. I did a little photo tweaking, but still can't tell if the dents are chopmarks or just dents.
  • Options
    Thanks phut.

Anyone else ?
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Phut - 1823 George IV Half Crown that's had the crap beat out of it. Might be worth melt, but has no real collector value due to the damage.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    OK - thanks guys. image
  • Options
    The friend wants to know if they made Brass 1/2 Crowns in 1823 ?

He keeps pointing out that the coin is brass not silver - would anyone be able to answer this.

TIA
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    If it's brass, I'd guess it's a fake, perhaps silvered at one time.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Even with the bumps and bruises, I think it looks PLENTY good enough to have collector value--- this is a an 1820's half crown with a lot of detail still visible, not a worn slick slug with holes! And it certainly looks silver and not brass to me, BUT, there were half crowns struck in brass (I have seen a few from the 1818-20 George III period). I think its still debatable but one article writer theorized that these were struck in England or Ireland then sent over to circulate in Canada.