Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Bogus Ancient Gold on eBay (warning, large image)

This was pointed out by another dealer. I know not many here buy ancient gold, but just in case, here's the info as presented by the other dealer:

It's a cast forgery made from a genuine coin. Note how the original coin fits into the depression along the bottom edge of the forgery. This seller has sold other likely forgeries based on other originals bought from european sales. Some were very good die struck forgeries.
https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

Comments

• Thanks Josh - just shows the value of buying slabbed Gold.

Has this been reported to the vendor ? or Ebay ?
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    The vendor likely is making the forgeries, but it's hard to say for sure.

I don't know if eBay has been notified.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing this. I like ancient gold, but I can't buy any right now because I cannot tell originals apart from fakes.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
    DG, Buy from a reputable and knowledgeable dealer who offers a lifetime guarantee of authenticity. For example: CNG, Harlan J Berk, Barry P Murphy, John Lavender, or even us. image You'll never go wrong.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a coin from Berk that turned out to be fake. They paid for all my expenses in addition to the cost of the coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    If these dealers are truely experts, they should not hesitate to offer a lifetime quarantee. That is good if that is what they do.

How do they know the coin they sold you is the same one you are bringing back because some expert archaeologist said it was a fake? I am sure they must be photographed or something. Diamonds are somehow identified individually as well after being graded, so I am just curious to know how the ancient coins are verified.

I appreciate you guys responding to my concerns in the hobby.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
    DG, most dealers will remember the coin if it's a short term return. Many do keep photo files. Most catalog their coins for sale including weight and diameter and specific characteristics of the coin. As long as you keep your invoice and any sales ticket, it shouldn't be hard for any reputable and knowledgeable dealer to verify your coin as being one they sold. Now if you buy from a guy who has "Ancient Coin" scribbled on a 2X2 holder or from an eBay auction with no reserve, a low feedback seller and bidders names that are kept private, well then you might be out of luck.

Additionally, because of concern for forgeries, a dealer's reputation is VERY important in the ancient numismatic field. If word got around they were not honoring guarantees or missing forgeries on a regular basis, it would be very harmful to their business. I know there tends to be a lot of animosity and distrust towards coins dealers by collectors, but you should be able to find one you can trust and who's willing to work with you. Especially keep an eye out for dealer's who are willing to educate you as well as sell to you. Those who are free with information as to why such and such coin is definitely genuine and why another is a forgery is a valuable resource. Dealers who will let you look at authentic coins even though you may not be looking to purchase them are also helpful, just don't abuse the priviledge and you'll both be happy about it.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • I have never found gold Roman coins in all my cleaning. Have found 1 for sure Fanam and to others in my cleaning. I'm guessing they were from some type of trade route and end up in a romans hand. But I'm just guessing.