Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I've been told this is A.T. ...

AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
A couple of people have told me this Walker is A.T.; a few have told me it's N.T. Now, I don't really care - I only have a few bucks in it - but I am trying to LEARN to identify A.T. coins, so for those who say it's A.T., could you please take a moment to tell me what specific indicators you see that tell you it's A.T. ???

I'm not wanting to start a war here. I just really want to learn more from you guys who are toning experts.

Thanks for your time image

image
image

My OmniCoin Collection
My BankNoteBank Collection
Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.

Comments

  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Obverse looks close to the way these can tone up, but the reverse looks suspicious. Toning is too abrupt. No smooth transition.

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355 ✭
    Read your post first, didn't scroll down to the image.

    Scrolled down to the image.

    OMG!

    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

    Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

    image
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭
    65 years is a long time.

  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 25,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely AT and not very good at that. When's the last time anyone showed you a Walker that had pink and deep blue on the same coin?

    One way to spot AT is to ask if you've ever seen the same colors naturually tone on a coin before. Second, ask yourself if the same toning pattern existed on coins 20 years ago.

    If the answer is NO and NO than you're smack dab in the middle of id'ing an AT coin.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345 ✭
    Beats me.

    But, I really like your collection, AuldFartte.image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    OOPS! Just realized this is a Walker, not a SAE. image That's what I get for posting before I've had my coffee.

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880 ✭
    To me, it depends on what is called AT and NT.

    I don't think that the coin was covered with chemicals and baked and to me that is AT.

    NT (to me) is a coin that has toned over a period of time by laying in contact with something else.


    It looks to me that this coin was purposely placed in some type of active paper and the toning process was speeded up. I wrapped up a SAE in toilet paper for about two years and it came out looking like this one.

    While I don't consider this "street legal", I guess it qualifies as NT

    Thats my take on it anyway
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here AT could be Altered Toning; Advanced Toning or Alotta Toning.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    If that was an ASE......I could duplicate the colors very easily and have done so via experimentation.......here's one that I did a while back by storing the coin in a high sulfer environment under a heat lamp......so the Pink and royal blues are dead giveaways for me on a Walker...............I just don't see those vibrant color combos on an NT Walker with that type of coverage???? image

    image

    image

    image

    While not the same pattern....neon pink, Purple, and royal blue are the most common colors created when one attempts to AT a coin.......here's another example of a 1964 Quarter and both of these were done with no real knowledge of chemistry etc....simply incorporating a Silver coin in to a hot sulfer tainted environment image

    image
  • Options
    Another MS-69 Kennedy ruined. Won't be long and the supply will be tight. image
    Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment. Full effort is full victory. -Gandhi
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like that coin at all and would have nothing to do with it.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    ...........It looks TOO good to be real........., but there are many coins slabbed with more questionable

    colors . I would submit it -
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I would not want this coin. It looks AT to me because the different colors are not in the correct places, no proper transitioning from one color to another. As the toning builds thickness, the colors are supposed to change. I don't see that happening on this coin.

    In a PCGS or NGC holder, the coin would be saleable, likely at a premium to someone who really like it. Raw, not.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭
    oh my

    my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my..........................



    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭
    Your coin is DEFINATELY AT, the colors tell me that it was a sulfur job, and the matching obverse/reverse toning confirms it for me. Want a nice commemorative to go along with it?

    image
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blatant AT.
  • Options
    too much methane...
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    AT Yes, market acceptable perhaps either way for a few buck its one hell of a coin
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777 ✭
    I agree with the others that it looks like blatant AT, and the type of color along with abruptness of pattern make it look like cooked crap.....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all very much for the input. I've learned a lot from it, and I really appreciate your time, and your valuable explanations image
    image

    My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I don't like that coin at all and would have nothing to do with it. >>



    Coming from TomB, I'd say that pretty much sums it up.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭
    Probably okay, but I don't care for it.

    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054 ✭
    I'd have to go along with what is really AT or NT. I've left coins out in the sun, wind, rain after a bath in dish soap that turned like that after a long period of time. The variatioins in color suggest what is usually ment by AT but could be the results of leaving the coin in an invironment where that could occur naturally but done intentionally.
    Carl
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720 ✭
    AT all the way.

    That's looks too close to a sulfer solution on the revrse, seen too many just like it to think otherwise.

    The problems the average doctors have is not being able to stop the darkening once it begins.

    Give that coin another 6 months and the reverse will be nearly black where it's currently blue.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya know just because a coin is AT or Intentionally Toned doesn't automatically make it lacking in eye appeal or butt-effen fugly. I wouldn't immediately condemn it because smoeone else thinks its AT or its not an A box monster rainbow obverse toner. There are plenty of bag toned Morgans that are uglier than a can of smashed buttholes.

    This one is in all probability IT but its in a holder and aint all that bad lookin in hand.

    image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options


    << <i>OOPS! Just realized this is a Walker, not a SAE. image That's what I get for posting before I've had my coffee.

    Russ, NCNE >>



    You're forgiven--kinda' like my posts, pre-martini!

    Ssur,ENCN
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like colors on flowers and rainbows in the sky and in people.... but coins ought to be silver, gold , or brown- if copper (unless it is the original color of copper-- RED)

    Any other color , it is either CHEMICAL or THERMAL Toning, in my opinion. To say it is NATURAL or ARTIFICIAL is actually a moot point.

    Here is the coin in grayscale.image


    AT or NT shouldn't make any difference.

    It surely isn't in it's original MINT STATE !

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621 ✭
    most definitely heated and at
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    nobody gets my jokes...boo hoo...
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    I am by no means an expert on this subject, but since my take on this coin differs from the posts thrown out thus far, here goes:

    Every so often, someone will post 'moster toner' walker on these boards - and they usually look like the obverse of your coin: fields of weaving, overlapping color. HOWEVER, the colors on your coin are EXCEPTIONALLY neon - REG FLAG #1.

    The orange & blues of the reverse of your coin are very consistant with the album toning I sometimes see on Barbers & Morgans. And I suppose silver being silver, and albums being albums, that it is very possible that such toning could occur on a Walker. HOWEVER, album toning is generally runs more symetrical, especially when the center is still so white - RED FLAG #2.

    Taken together, why would the same coin display such differnt toning on each side? True, I have seen some Mint sets from this era where this sort of happens, but then usually when that happens, one side gets much 'louder' than the other - on this coin, both sides are loud, but it's a different loud, and the odds are against - RED FLAG #3.

    Taken singularly, these Red Flags may be inconclusive, but together they point to to AT.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭
    It's AT ... I made it. Never though I'd see it here.
    I brake for ear bars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file