Home Sports Talk

MATT LEINART GOES TO?

IM A LONG TIME LIONS FAN SO I WOULD LOVE TO SEE MATT MILLEN PULL THE TRIGGER AND SO HOW GET HIM, BUT I THINK HE IS PROBLEY A BETTER FIT IN THE SILVER & BLACK. ANY THOUGHTS?

Comments

• AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    What I see happening with the draft is the following:

Saints - D'brickashaw Ferguson
    Titans - Vince Young
    Jets - Reggie Bush
    Packers - AJ Hawk
    49ers - Vernon Davis
    Raiders - Jay Cutler
    Bills - Michael Huff
    Lions - Chad Jackson
    Cardinals - Matt Leinart

The Saints need all sorts of help, and are very eager to protect their huge investment in Brees. I think the titans' offense is molded around a mobile QB, so Young is a perfect fit there. Jets have been given the best deal in the draft in signing Bush, who could very well be the best player to come out in a very, very long time, and the Jets need an heir apparent to Curtis Martin. Also, since he's not the #1 pick, he doesn't get max money. Packers need to get better defensively, and Hawk has been getting tons of praise. The 49ers interest in Davis is no secret, and giving their young QB a solid dump off option will keep him upright a lot more. Al Davis loves big, explosive arms on his QBs and Cutler fits that mold a great deal more than Leinart. The Lions, well hell, they've gone WR in the first round in 3 straight drafts, let's make it 4!

Leinart in AZ would be a dream come true for that franchise. New stadium, 2 absolute studs at WR and a solid RB in Edge. If he falls to 10 it will of course adversely affect him monetarily, but of the top 10 teams, I think AZ would be the best fit.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>IM A LONG TIME LIONS FAN SO I WOULD LOVE TO SEE MATT MILLEN PULL THE TRIGGER AND SO HOW GET HIM, BUT I THINK HE IS PROBLEY A BETTER FIT IN THE SILVER & BLACK. ANY THOUGHTS? >>

I'm a Lions fan too (I know, it sucks), but drafting Leinart would be a disaster for the following reasons.

1) There are two sports related jobs in Detroit that just aren't cut out for rookies and young athletes in general: QB of the Lions and goalie for the Wings. Way too much pressure with both of these jobs here in the D.
    2) Who would block for him? The same circumstances that ruined Harrington would ruin Leinart. The O-Line is terrible, and if he does have time to throw he's got to pitch it to one of these uselss stoners at wideout that can't get open.
    3) Kitna should be fine for the next few years, and let's face it; there'll be other drafts in the near future where the Lions draft quite high. For now I'd pick up someone in the secondary (Michael Huff makes sense) that's less likely to be a bust. No knock on Leinart, but it's a fact that the track record of 1st round QB's in the draft isn't exactly steller---- ESPECIALLY if drafted by the Honolulu Blue (Andre Ware anyone?). This team has so many freaking holes that there's no sense rolling the dice with another skill position player. Just get a steady performer and plug him in somewhere.
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I am a quasi Cardinals fan being that I lived in Phoenix for 27 years. I would love to see him go there. I've heard other places that he may slip to 10th for the Cardinals. That would be nice. I wonder how though that Jay Cutler is now being placed ahead of Leinart? Leinart was the stud of all QB's a few months ago.