Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

mechanical errors

Has anyone else heard of ebay labeling the cards wrong. example a 1989 fleer 616 bill ripken error black box variation being labeled a scribble variation. was wondering if these are psa errors or the person submitting them getting one by on ebay. I have quickly become and avid psa collector but these mishaps seem to effect the value of my collection any body have any ideas should i contact psa and will they even do anything about it.
My main problem is there were only 7 psa 10 of these i have 6 now some one sent some in and the population went to 12 but the cards are now on ebay and they are not the scriblle version they are cleary the black box version but are labeled as scribbles
oh well any ideas would be good hope to have some fun in these forums as my collection grows

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    howdy..

yeah, let PSA know about the errors, and give them links to the ebay auctions so they can see the cards..

i have a modern rickey henderson autographed card #'d/10, and it's the only one graded.. then one day i noticed one on ebay, labeled as the "autographed" version, but the card clearly was NOT autographed.. i checked the pop report and sure enough, my auto'd card was now listed as a pop 2, when in reality it was still the only one graded..

i think it was Cosetta that helped me out, and got it corrected.. I think she had to contact the owner and he sent it back in for re-labeling..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Yes its frustrating. Last year at the National in Chicago I submitted an autographed 1949 Bowman Pee Wee Reese to PSA/DNA for authentification and grading. I paid the for the next day service so I could get it the next day. I picked the card up in the afternoon on the last day of the show and found out that PSA had labeled the card as a 1949 Bowman Stan Musial.

The thing that irks me is that they did not have time to relabel it but instead gave me a voucher to to have it corrected if I mailed it in. I don't like to have to pay postage to and from California on something PSA messed up to begin with.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I've had about half a dozen. All in the last three years, some really obvious (a T200 labeled St. Louis NL when it said right on the card AL, an N28 Clarkson labeled Anson). I wait til the next show and drop them off so it doesn't cost me anything.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Check the 1972 Green letter variations. Almost all the cards labeled by PSA as "Green Letters" are actually the common "Yellow Letter" version.
  • Options
    I'VE HAD 8 MECHANICALS IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS. THE WORST OF THE GROUP WAS A 75 HOSTESS PANEL THAT CAME BACK GRADED AS A SINGLE CARD FROM THE PANEL. SOMETIMES I WONDER WHETHER THERE ARE NON ENGLISH SPEAKING PEOPLE GRADING AND LABELING THESE ???
  • Options
    Oh yeah....an even better one...A 1955 Randy Jackson Armour coin came back labeled as Reggie Jackson. It was actually listed as a unique variety in the population report until I had it fixed.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses but since the guy has sold these on ebay i doubt the new owners will send these in to be correted
  • Options
    The worst mechanical error I have ever seen was a 1956 Topps Bob Feller labeled a 1996 topps Chrome Allen Iverson and no I am not kidding. Also the Hiene Wagners labeled as Honus on the T206 cards is a mistake that abolutely should never get out yet Ive seen it 2 different times.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also the Hiene Wagners labeled as Honus on the T206 cards is a mistake that abolutely should never get out yet Ive seen it 2 different times. >>

Same card offered twice.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Just got back a 2004 UD Legends autograph of Dave Cowens labeled as Dave Casper. I guess PSA's QC could used some fine-tuning...
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    "there mistake" or "their mistake"

Is that your mistake or you're mistake?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    grilloj39grilloj39 Posts: 370 ✭✭
    Leaves to wonder how many of us are resubmitting these cards back to PSA under the "Mechanical Error" designation. I just submitted 3 cards to them...all minor errors (a Topps Desert Shield McGwire without the Desert Shield, incorrect spelling of boxers name on a T-220 Silver Border, and a Red Kleinow T206 Tolstoi that erroneously said NY Catching. but it took me almost a year to get off my --- and simply just resubmit them. I would imagine if many of these types of invoices were being rec'd at PSA, they take a closer look at their QC.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com