Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ugly Uniforms . . .

why do professional teams feel the need to abandon tradition, and adopt hideous-looking uniforms?

Comments

• Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    Some teams have a long history of screwing around with their uniforms image

imageimage
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Happy to hear yesterday that the Edmonton Oilers will be getting rid of their ugly third jersey to go with a retro Oilers jersey instead (the early 80's style).

Although not as bad as a lot of teams, it's still image in my book.
  • Options
    What is that logo on the Oilers third jersey? The Oilers 80's sweater is a classic in my book.

How about the Flames? You know, that creature with fire shooting from its nostrils.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I think the Red Sox uniforms of the 80's, especially the road ones, were some of the ugliest ever. They were just too plain. I've seen painter's outfits that look sportier than those. I suppose it was appropriate since (except for the '86 team), the 80's Sox really sucked. If it wasn't for the stirrup on the sock, there wasn't even any "red" used.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Remember these?

• Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Every new uniform design means new jerseys, hats, shirts, jackets, etc. that can be sold to fans. $$$$$ Alternate jerseys, warm up jerseys, St. Patrick day jerseys, All-Star game jerseys, commemorative patches, retro jerseys, turn-back-the-clock jerseys, etc.

Buy, buy, buy.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>why do professional teams feel the need to abandon tradition, and adopt hideous-looking uniforms?

image >>

How big is Kevin Williams(93) belly button!? I think I could fit my fist in there.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Can you imagine the size of the navel lint? Like softballs.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    If the Vikes were going to change from the classic purple, they should have gone all out. New colors and everything. Similar to Tampa's overhaul when they moved away from the happy pirate.
  • Options

<< <i>Remember these?

image >>

Yeah, I remember those. I thought those were pretty silly, but at least they had a distinct look to them. Like a really bad fashion decision, but at least they bothered to at least try and come up with something different (and fund it). Despite the goofy pajamas look to them, I distinctly remember players like Carlton Fisk and Greg Luzinski say that they were extremely comfortable to play in. The Red Sox uniforms on the other hand, look like the Yawkeys were pinching every dime and cost the team about $10 per uniform. It just smacks of cheapness.
  • Options
    Yeah Cooperalls:

• Options
    Good one, Sting! I had completely forgotten about Cooperalls . . . and I owned a pair.
  • Options

<< <i>Good one, Sting! I had completely forgotten about Cooperalls . . . and I owned a pair. >>

So did I.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Yeah, I remember those Flyer outfits too. It made them look like bellboys. The sad part is (if memory serves me right), several other teams did the same thing and adopted those full legged pants as well.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, I remember those Flyer outfits too. It made them look like bellboys. The sad part is (if memory serves me right), several other teams did the same thing and adopted those full legged pants as well. >>

The only other team, if I am correct, were the Whalers.

• Options
    The Whale wore them too!
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    MeatHook - This Link explains the oilers jersey..

The Calgary Flames third jersey logo suits them... it's cowboy town down there.. image

imagenot that there's anything wrong with that.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    What about the Astros unis?

I always thought they were really bad.

• Options

<< <i>What about the Astros unis?

I always thought they were really bad. >>

I love those unis!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Slightly OT, but if I were a ballplayer today I would definitely have my socks showing .... classic old time look.

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Can't say I'm a big fan of this version of the Indians uniform

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    The Calgary Flames third jersey logo suits them... it's cowboy town down there.. image

imagenot that there's anything wrong with that. >>

I think Knukles is just a little tired of seeing this....

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What about the Astros unis?

I always thought they were really bad. >>

I love those unis! >>

Me too. I have pretty much liked every Astros jersey from the last 25 years.

Tabe
  • Options

What were they thinking?????
  • Options
    oddballoddball Posts: 119

worst jerseys ever
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sting, It looks like Ed Acosta is wearing a UPS hat.

Tabe, I liked those Astro jerseys too!
  • Options
    downgoesfrazierdowngoesfrazier Posts: 1,515 ✭✭
    The reason the 70's saw so many bright colored uniforms was the simple advent of the color-TV. Polyester became the fabric of choice and it could be dyed any color. I, myself, love those uniforms of the day. The bright colors are so distinctively 70's. I have to say that my favorite Red Sox road uniforms of all time were the mid-80's...the ones that Brian45 dislikes so much. I thought they were plain to the point of extremely old school and cool. I have outfitted many of my teams that way since they wore those. I use black or navy university block with no trim--gray on top and bottom. Only the stirrup has color as well as the logo on the cap. While I love the plain jane Red Sox I also love the wacky Nuggets and Astros. I hate--absolutely HATE the new-look NFL stuff. I hate it. The Broncos had great uniforms before they changed. Tampa was an improvement, however, I liked the bright orange. Nothing said "4 and 12" quite like those baby-asprin jerseys.

dgf
  • Options

<< <i>image

worst jerseys ever >>

I actually like that one.
  • Options
    OverratedOverrated Posts: 454 ✭✭
    San diego padres! Ugly team , hats, traffic, houseing, uniforms, and Fat tony gwynn! and the front runners that live there!!!!
  • Options
    Ouch!

Last person that said something that nasty about San Diego was Ron Burgundy!

One of the worst: