Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sucks to be you if you're hoarding Delmon Young cards

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I saw this on ESPN...pretty disgusting. I think he should be suspended for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

How do we know for sure he was the one who threw the bat at the umpire? For all we know, it could be Barry Bonds or something. Bonds does steriods and you know those people sometimes go into fits of rage.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    yankeeno,
    He is suspended indefinitely.
    DD
  • Options
    Moron.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    stupid ump...

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    indefinately until they make a decision...sounds like the President of the International League will be making a decision soon just how long he will be out for.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    It'll all pass... minor league suspensions only apply to the league they are handed down in, which in this case is AAA of the International League. Tampa will probably let him sit for a week or two before demoting him to AA, where he'll spend a month, and then get called up to the Rays.

They have way too much invested in the kid to let something like this ruin his career. Yeah, he was an idiot for doing it, but there are lots of guys who have done idiotic things in professional sports and continued their careers without issue.

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    How can you say he didn't mean to hit the ump?

Look how fast it comes flying it...he was already walking away, yet he turns and throws the bat with some force back at the ump. This kid should not be allowed to play any ball the rest of the year.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>How can you say he didn't mean to hit the ump?

Look how fast it comes flying it...he was already walking away, yet he turns and throws the bat with some force back at the ump. This kid should not be allowed to play any ball the rest of the year. >>

I am in NO way defending Delmon Young, but Ax, once again we have a situation where you BEND the facts. You do not know that he turned and threw the bat, nobody except people at the game do. There is no video of him turning, and no reports as of yet whether he did or not. For all we know he could have been walking with his back turned and slammed or tossed it in disgust backwards, which to me would be a BIG difference from physically turning and throwing it.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Dont worry,

Our insatiable need to worship athletic skills will trump any expectations of maturity or decency within the game.

In fact he just just increased his name recognition so that should add a couple of dollars to his pro contract.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Holy cripes. Either he got real lucky that he didn't hit his head, or he has impeccable aim and should be in the starting rotation. Nice velocity too, and did you see the backspin on that throw?
    Travis
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    DONE . . .PERIOD in my opinion. Mentally, never the same. . .
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Our insatiable need to worship athletic skills will trump any expectations of maturity or decency within the game. >>

I couldn't have said it better myself. As idiotic an act as it was, in the end Delmon Young will probably get back on the field at some point this year, possibly even in the Majors late in the season. Why? Because he is the # 1 prospect in all of baseball, which excuses him for any and all actions such as tossing a bat at an umpire. These guys have their butts kissed from the time their in middle school basically for the rest of their lives. They have a sense of invincibility (sp?), which, unfortunately, society often provides for them (see O.J. Simpson for more on this).
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Don't worry,

Our insatiable need to criticize athletes in GENERAL because of our own inadequacies will trump any expectations of a mature discussion of this subject.

In fact, the jealousy and outright hatred of athletes will cloud the ability of some to think this act is done by a single person, but all athletes in general.

Insert another "these athletes are totally out of control and this is another example of the 'me first' player who doesn't care about his team, blah blah blah blah blah, they're all so entitled and should be happy to be playing a game. I hate athletes" argument.

Everyday across the world, business men, members of the church, teachers, judges, lawyers, little league parents etc get in trouble with the law, but we don't hear about it or want to hear about it. The second an athlete gets a speeding ticket, it makes Sportscenter. Maybe that's what feeds into the perception that all athletes are constantly violating the law every minute of every day. People with a working brain can see what's going on, but I guess some others just take the easy route and generalize.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options

<< <i>Don't worry,

Our insatiable need to criticize athletes in GENERAL because of our own inadequacies will trump any expectations of a mature discussion of this subject.

In fact, the jealousy and outright hatred of athletes will cloud the ability of some to think this act is done by a single person, but all athletes in general.

Insert another "these athletes are totally out of control and this is another example of the 'me first' player who doesn't care about his team, blah blah blah blah blah, they're all so entitled and should be happy to be playing a game. I hate athletes" argument.

Everyday across the world, business men, members of the church, teachers, judges, lawyers, little league parents etc get in trouble with the law, but we don't hear about it or want to hear about it. The second an athlete gets a speeding ticket, it makes Sportscenter. Maybe that's what feeds into the perception that all athletes are constantly violating the law every minute of every day. People with a working brain can see what's going on, but I guess some others just take the easy route and generalize.

image >>

DBH, I might not have the intelletual acumen to argue with your rambling social commentary, but let me give you my headline:

He threw a BAT at an umpire.

'Nuff said.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Juan Marichal attacked John Roseboro and hit him in the head with a bat in 1965. Marichal gets 8 game suspension.

Babe Ruth punched an umpire in the face in 1917. (great story: LINK) Ruth gets 10 game suspension (cut to 9 later).

Both players are sitting in the hall of fame now.

It'll pass.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Roberto Alomar spit in an umpire's face. I forget how much time off he got, though. It wasn't much.
  • Options
    I have to agree with DaBigHurt.

I love how righteous we are when an athlete acts foolishly or throws a temper tantrum. Like we all haven't done something we regret in a fit of anger. I'm not justifying what Delmon Young did, but from that video how can we truly discern what happened? Add in the fact that he is young and you have someone who, in a fit of anger, did something stupid. I would suspend him, yes. But not for the season.

We really have to get off our high horses.
  • Options
    I dont think its being "on your high horse" to want him suspended for the rest of the season. He needs to be made an example of to teach him and others coming up how those sort of actions will not be tolerated. The kid is so highly touted that he is on his own high horse and a major chip on his shoulder...like they said on ESPN, he will soon find out that he is NOT bigger than the game as so many others have learned.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Come on no, no one is on a high horse, and this certainly is not the first time he's acted out.

And he threw a bat, intentionally I might add, at the umpire. This was no accident, this was intentional.

And how do I know he turned and threw the bat? Come on now, look at the trajectory of that bat, there's no way he, with his back to the ump, could have possibly thrown it like that.

• Options
    DaddyRichDaddyRich Posts: 241 ✭✭
    My 2 cents is to have him driven out of pro basesball. Regardless of their investment in him - who in their right mind would consider throwing a bat at an umpire a remote possibility? Did you see the catcher in front of him just put his mask back on? Not even say anything to him? Strange. And I am not any high horse here, I am circumspect in my actions and was so even at his age. Like I said, two cents worth....
    Just glad to be here with everyone.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Driven out of baseball, come on. As was mentioned earlier, Juan Marichal took a bat to someone's head and he turned out alright. Young should get a 50 game suspension...

Edited to mention suspension
  • Options
    Sorry if I offended anyone with the "high horse" remark. I was including myself when I said that. I find myself being quick to condemn people who do something stupid, but then I think, well if I did something in a fit of anger I hope I wouldn't have the book thrown at me. Hey, maybe I should have the book thrown at me.

I'm not saying that my opinion is necessarily the "right" one. If the majority thinks, he should get a season, give him a season. My personal opinion is that the league should take into consideration that's he's young and it was done in a fit of anger. Before dishing out the penalty, I would like to see the league sit down with him and talk to him. Is there remorse there? Is the pressure getting to him? Hey, if this kid has anger management issues, get him so help.

You guys are tough on here, but, hey, maybe that's the right approach.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Sorry if I offended anyone with the "high horse" remark. I was including myself when I said that. I find myself being quick to condemn people who do something stupid, but then I think, well if I did something in a fit of anger I hope I wouldn't have the book thrown at me. Hey, maybe I should have the book thrown at me.

I'm not saying that my opinion is necessarily the "right" one. If the majority thinks, he should get a season, give him a season. My personal opinion is that the league should take into consideration that's he's young and it was done in a fit of anger. Before dishing out the penalty, I would like to see the league sit down with him and talk to him. Is there remorse there? Is the pressure getting to him? Hey, if this kid has anger management issues, get him so help.

You guys are tough on here, but, hey, maybe that's the right approach. >>

Well-- it certainly isn't hard to spot the Canadian participants on these boards image