Home Sports Talk
Options

Selig: MLB won't celebrate Bonds passing Ruth

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
"NEW YORK -- Barry Bonds will have to wait until he passes Hank Aaron before baseball throws a party for him.

Major League Baseball is not planning any celebration for Bonds if and when he tops Babe Ruth's mark of 714 home runs, commissioner Bud Selig said Thursday.

"Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's record," Selig said. "We don't celebrate anybody the second or third time in."

Bonds has been the subject of steroids speculation for several seasons. The recent book "Game of Shadows" detailed allegations against him, and a federal grand jury is investigating whether he committed perjury when he told another grand jury that he had never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs.

Bonds hit his 711th homer Wednesday. His San Francisco Giants were off Thursday, and open a three-game series Friday night at home against Arizona.

Selig does not figure to be in San Francisco -- or in Milwaukee or Philadelphia, where the Giants play next week -- as Bonds nears Ruth.

"We celebrate new records, that's what we do. We're being consistent," Selig said during the Associated Press Sports Editors annual meeting with league commissioners. "There's nothing to read into that."

Ruth is second on the career home run list, trailing Aaron's total of 755. When Aaron broke Ruth's record in 1974, commissioner Bowie Kuhn was not in attendance. Kuhn's absence rankled many, including Aaron.

Bonds has been hobbled by bad knees, and missed most of last season.

"He's had a remarkable career. Whatever happens, happens," Selig said. "We're going to let nature take its course. Commissioners don't sit around and say, 'I hope this guy breaks it or not.'"

Selig said he had read "Game of Shadows" but not seen "Bonds on Bonds," the ESPN reality show about the slugger's life.

Selig said the book was among several factors that prompted him to launch a baseball investigation into steroids, headed by former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell. There is no timetable for completing the probe.

Baseball's investigation, Selig said, is "not affected at all by the grand jury" looking into whether Bonds committed perjury."

Comments

• Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Good! He doesn't deserve any celebration.

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Maybe Bonds will retire the day he passes the Babe....now THAT would be reason to celebrate.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    I just wish he wouldn't play anymore so we didn't have to suffer seeing him pass the Great Bambino.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< Barry Bonds will have to wait until he passes Hank Aaron before baseball throws a party for him. >>>

Throw a party? Nobody except Barry Bonds should be celebrating that if he passes Aaron.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    anyone else tired of watching BONDSCENTER? (sportscenter) I cant watch baseball tonite anymore. bc 30 minute the hour show is all about bonds!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>anyone else tired of watching BONDSCENTER? (sportscenter) I cant watch baseball tonite anymore. bc 30 minute the hour show is all about bonds! >>

You said it!! Bonds, this, Bonds that, Top 20 Bonds Moments, Bonds on Bonds, interrputing baseball broacasts for Bonds at bats --- STOP!!! ESPN, grab a clue, 95% of America does not give a chit!!
  • Options
    Worse yet, they have a 'personal reporter' named Pedro Gomez apparently following everything he does. I can't help the constant coverage is to help promote their 'reality' show bonds on bonds.

What a joke.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Just in!

Bonds blew out his knee and will be forced to retire! He wont make it to 715!.....................I wish.......

I refuse to watch Bonds on Bonds...I have passed by it seeing him cry about how he is so misunderstood blah blah blah...please..if he cared so much he wouldnt be such a D*CK! This show on himself just shows how little class we all know he has.
  • Options

Bonds on Bonds

I read the other day that his show receive the same ratings as the National Championship Paint Ball Game.

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I have yet to see the show Bonds on Bonds, and from what I hear, it isn't that interesting.

He won't pass Ruth
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bonds on Bonds

I read the other day that his show receive the same ratings as the National Championship Paint Ball Game.

image >>

If they used real bullets, it would probably get better ratings.
  • Options
    cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    ESPN will cut to his every at bat after he hits 712. So we'll all get to see 713-715 rather than the strong man competition or paintball.
    Side note, if steroids were completely out of the picture (he did this all on natural talent) wouldn't the baseball world be on the edge of their collective seat to see Bonds pass Ruth and approach Aaron? I mean, whether he's been a d*ick or not, we could say that we've seen possibly the greatest player ever?
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    Cardfan, that's a big "what if" and sadly it's not the case with Bonds. The world will never know. And that is why baseball needs a VERY tough steroid policy.
  • Options
    NBAFanNBAFan Posts: 744
    Sad thing is, the world was on the edge when steroid junkies McGwire and Sosa were shooting for the HR record.

Just because the media didn't bring it out in the open, how many people here really thought that McGwire and Sosa were clean and really got that big because they worked hard?
  • Options
    cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    That is a sad thing. All these guys are guilty of taking steroids even though none have actually failed a drug test. They don't need to fail anything. Society has already passed judgement. That's why the stars of yesterday still rule. There are tons of players today that are clean and kick @$$ on pure talent alone. But someone here posted before, baseball is partly to blame for all this too. They turned a blind eye in 98 and didn't do anything substantial until pressed by congress. Time to lose the anti-trust exemption?
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    fab4fab4 Posts: 280 ✭✭
    i hope he passes ruth and breaks aaron record. 756 is 756 home runs any way you look at it.

the best part it gives baseball a black eye for years to come and a public relations nightmare. And after all the times they went on strike and shut the season down i think it would be humerous.

it doesn't matter if he is #1 or #2 on the all time list he is still a druggie or a liar or both

the only thing i hate worse than bonds is the game of baseball.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Why would any baseball fan want that to happen? Unless of course you are not a baseball fan....
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey fab4, something tells me that icon you have there is really a video of you just after birth when your mother was desperately trying to flush you down the toilet. image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    fab4fab4 Posts: 280 ✭✭

<< <i>hey fab4, something tells me that icon you have there is really a video of you just after birth when your mother was desperately trying to flush you down the toilet. >>

considering my mother died at child birth that is low class.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    So what. This is just what Bonds and the race card people want. Ruth is no longer the spot, it is Aaron.....as it should be. There is no need to celebrate Bond passing Ruth......right?
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    I can't recall baseball celebrating someone getting to #2 on any record.

Hell, the commissioner wasn't even in the stadium when Aaron passed Ruth.