Home Sports Talk
Options

Future Hall of Fame Elections

Future Hall of Fame Elections

2007: Harold Baines, Derek Bell, Dante Bichette, Bobby Bonilla, Jeff Brantley, Jay Buhner, Ken Caminiti, Jose Canseco, Eric Davis, Tony Fernandez, Tony Gwynn, Darryl Hamilton, Pete Harnisch, Charlie Hayes, Glenallen Hill, Ken Hill, Stan Javier, Wally Joyner, Ramon Martinez, Mark McGwire, Paul O’Neill, Gregg Olson, Cal Ripken Jr., Bret Saberhagen, Jeff Shaw, Kevin Tapani, Devon White, Bobby Witt

2008: Shawon Dunston, Travis Fryman, David Justice, Mike Morgan, Tim Raines, Randy Velarde

2009: Mark Grace, Rickey Henderson, Dean Palmer, Dan Plesac, Matt Williams

2010: Andres Galarraga, Edgar Martinez, Robin Ventura

Who do you think will make it?

2007: July 27-30, with Induction on July 29
2008: July 25-28, with Induction on July 27
2009: July 24-27, with Induction on July 26
2010: July 23-26, with Induction July 25

Thanks,

Mary

Comments

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    2007 - McGwire, Ripken, Gwynn

2008 -

2009 - Henderson

Those are for sure. There are some other borderline candidates, but not any definites.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Since 08 looks weak maybe Tim Raines will get in. he is afterall deserving.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    2007 Gwynn, McGwire, Ripken

2008 maybe a repeater or two--Blyleven, Rice, Dawson, Goose--I think Rice will be in his 14th or 15th year of eligibility so the writers might be kind.

2009 Rickey and a repeater

2010 Edgar and a repeater
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Gwynn, Ripken, Rickey, and Edgar. I dont think McGwire should ever get in. One dimensional player who wouldnt have accomplished crap without juicing. At least Barry was an all world, all time player before he found the " cream "

Oh wait, I forgot....Im a Yankee fan so arent I supposed to include O'Neill in there too ?
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Please show me where McGwire failed a drug test? Unlike Bonds, he's never admitted to taking steroids.

McGwire probably very well did juice, but the fact that he never failed a test, and never admitted to a grand jury that he took them means you can't hold that against him in voting. It will likely keep him off first ballot honors, but he's in second year, no problem.

• Options
    Did they test for steroids when McGwire played ?

-- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Aside from an obvious deserving few (Ripken, Gwynn, Henderson), I'm not real impressed with the overall bunch. In fact, there are some that I would not want to see in the Hall (e.g., Bonilla, Canseco, and Mark McGuire)
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    gwynn... ripken jr.(maybe lol) mcgwire.... henderson..

if henderson gets signed this year again. wont that back his clock 5 more years?
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that would send him back five years from now.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>2007 - McGwire, Ripken, Gwynn

2008 -

2009 - Henderson

Those are for sure. There are some other borderline candidates, but not any definites. >>

I agree, but not 100% certain if McGwire gets in with the 07 class. Might be 08 for him, and I like Jim Rice finally in 08 as well.
  • Options

I hope Mac makes it in, but not the same year Cal Ripken Jr makes it!

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only Ripkin, Gwynn, and Henderson get in out of that bunch.

I have a hunch some ugly stuff comes out on McGwire which will keep him out until 2013, if he makes it at all.

Hopefully Rice gets in in 07 or 08.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    As for McGwire...I think the writers will cut him slack.

Let's not forget what he did for baseball when he broke the HR record...he bailed baseball from its horrible slump of public disinterest....steroids or not. Sosa will probably not get the same gratitude. Don't look for Mac to make it in first ballot though.

Of course you will see Ripken, Gwynn, and Henderson...no brainers.
  • Options
    Maris should make it before they even give McGwire a second look.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    The only surefire Hall of Famers on that list are Gwynn, Ripken, and Henderson.

McGwire is likely, but I hope not a first ballot Hall of Famer.

I believe the following guys that are already on the ballot will all eventually get in:

1. Jim Rice
    2. Goose Gossage
    3. Andre Dawson
    4. Bert Blyleven
    5. Jack Morris

Raines and Baines would not make it on their first ballot and may never make it. But I hope they at least stick on the ballot for a few years. Same for Edgar.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    2007: Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken Jr.,

2008: none

2009: Rickey Henderson, Mark McGwire

2010: Andres Galarraga - probably not in 2010, but perhaps in a later election.
    >>

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did they test for steroids when McGwire played ? >>

No - they didn't. There is no reason that you can assume that McGwire took steroids and someone like Cal Ripken or other pitchers/hitters did not. The failure is on baseball - not McGwire personally, unless he admits to taking steroids. Unless you are willing to indict an entire era - and admit no one from the era, that you cannot ding McGwire without evidence.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Ripken, Gwynn, and Henderson are the only ones I'd say will get in on their first year of eligibility. Given all the (negative) publicity, I have my doubts of McGwire going in on his first try. I would like to think that Jim Rice might still have a chance, but I think he's only eligible for another year or so (not sure).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Did they test for steroids when McGwire played ? >>

No - they didn't. There is no reason that you can assume that McGwire took steroids and someone like Cal Ripken or other pitchers/hitters did not. The failure is on baseball - not McGwire personally, unless he admits to taking steroids. Unless you are willing to indict an entire era - and admit no one from the era, that you cannot ding McGwire without evidence. >>

mikeschmidt is absolutely correct here. McGwire has never come out publicly and said he took steroids. The only thing he ever admitted to was using andro, which was legal at the time.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess McGwire got THAT BIG the natural way;

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    The only first ballot guys on the list are Ripken, Gwynn and Henderson. McGwire will probably get in at some point. He was headed towards a first-ballot election before he testified before Congress. I doubt any of the other guys listed will make it. Edgar might come close, but no cigar. Baines was an even better DH, and I doubt he gets in. Raines, while very good, was not a Hall-of-Famer.

During the next few years, Gossage, Rice and Dawson will make it, while Santo is a good bet to be voted in by the veteran's committee next season. Hodges' chances are a little worse, but reasonable. Blyleven also has a good shot to get in within the next few years, provided the push from last season continues. Lee Smith will eventually make it too. How could he not after Sutter and Gossage? And that gentlemen is your HOF picture for at least the next 4 years image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a writer can hold a grudge and not vote for a player becuase of a atittude problem then he MOST CERTAINLY can pass his own judgement for mere suspicion of steroid use. This is not a court of law.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    JrMacdaddyJrMacdaddy Posts: 506 ✭✭

<< <i>Please show me where McGwire failed a drug test? >>

Pull your head out of the sand.
  • Options
    Consensus is that Raines isn't a 1st ballot HOF?

I can't believe Grace is eligible in 09 - seems like he just quit playing recently.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    IMO he is.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Please show me where McGwire failed a drug test? >>

Pull your head out of the sand. >>

So you have proof he failed a drug test?

He never failed a drug test, and, last time I checked, one cannot be convicted on hearsay and rumor. While he most likely did do steroids at some point, the fact that he never admitted as such and there is no smoking gun (or in this case syringe) means that he will be in. Some voters will hold their vote a year, so he won't be a first balloter, but he will waltz in in year 2.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    07 Ripken,Gwynn McGwire.
    08 No One
    09 Henderson
    10 Martinez
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Hey Axtell you dont need to be convicted of anything to not get in the hall ask Shoeless Joe Jackson. found NOT GUILTY by a court of law for throwing 1919 Series yet he is not in the hall. Also where exactly has Bonds ever admitted using Roids not in the grand jury testimony he states he used a cream and clear substance he bellieved was flac seed oil he never says he thinks or thought they were roids. ( though i agree with most that he did). He has never admitted it either nor has he ever failed a drug test, and there is close to as much circumstantial evidence with Big Mac as with Bonds. Personally though i would still vote for him and Bonds along with Sosa and Raffy and Clemens and all the other best players of their era, even though i personally think all the players I have named juiced.