Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Topps......Will these cards drop in value soon?

I've been putting together the 1975 Topps set of PSA 8's, 9's and a few 10's for a couple of years now. I am currently at #17 on the list. Most of the cards were acquired from E-bay. I'm starting to worry that the set and the individual cards will start to lose some of their value
since so many PSA graded cards are listed on E-bay as compared to just a year ago. There are a number of PSA 10's listed frequently, where a year ago, there might have been just 3 or 4 on E-bay. There are a huge amount of 8's listed, and a nice amount of 9's as well. It seems like PSA's standards of grading 1975 Topps cards have diminished.(of course not for me when I send my 75's!) Will the 75 Topps market eventually burst? There are just so many PSA graded cards out there especially from the 75 set with more and more constantly being submitted.
Does anyone else feel this way? Any thoughts on the subject?
Thanks all.

Comments

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    welcome!

I think they might drop when Fritsch's cards get graded, if he has anything but the off-center stuff I got from him. Still it's a beautiful set with lots of HOFers and 2 good rookies, so there will always be demand.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    It depends on the rate of people getting into the set vs the amount of new cards being graded.

if demand for the set increases while supplies remain steady then price will go up ...but given the incredible amount of supply ...there would have to be a really big number of people joining in to make up for all that extra supply.

Its a fantastic time to be a collector ...maybe not the best to be an investor in the set.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Its a fantastic time to be a collector ...maybe not the best to be an investor in the set.

i totally agree with the above statement, If you were looking to get into this set to have and hold for a while 5 years +, I would say that it is an excellent time to start a 75 set( I just started one about a month ago and am about #45 or so on the registry) I have always wanted this set since I was a kid and am slowly acquiring it in Psa 8. While the stars in the set as well as the Psa 10's could fall some in price, I think the common graded cards are about as low as they will go. i have been picking up Psa 8 Commons and some minor stars for as little as $2.99 on Ebay lately.
    This is one of the premier sets of our time, over the last thirty years or so, as well as one of the most popular. So in my opinion somewhere down the road, in 5+ years, people will wish they had been buying cards from this set at todays prices.

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    I am a 72 set collector....................I am in this set for the long term..........my set is 99% complete.........at 8.36..........and I will contimue to upgrade to about 8.75........................if I sold my set now whether individually or the entire set at once., I would probably not break even........although it would be close...................but I THINK ten years from now i will make a good profit on the set.

Buy wisely and do not overpay................be in for the long haul..and there is money to be made...
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am a 72 set collector....................I am in this set for the long term..........my set is 99% complete.........at 8.36..........and I will contimue to upgrade to about 8.75........................if I sold my set now whether individually or the entire set at once., I would probably not break even........although it would be close...................but I THINK ten years from now i will make a good profit on the set.

Buy wisely and do not overpay................be in for the long haul..and there is money to be made... >>

I think there are a ton of 75's out there. I have a gorgeous ungraded raw set that I paid a couple of hundred bucks for a couple of years ago. Did you see the 75' vending case that went for around 30K on the Mastro auction? That is where the money is my freind - in the unopened stuff. I would concentrate on buying unopened cello's, packs , vending boxes etc. rather than buying opened raw. chaz
  • Options
    i have been picking up Psa 8 Commons and some minor stars for as little as $2.99 on Ebay lately.

This says alot right here!! 2-3 years ago, 8's were going $9.95 or better with some of the harder to finds (then) in the $20-$30 range.....9's were $29.95 each and 10's were $100+...

Now a couple of years later....more product graded....people trying to turn $$$ quicker....and the market prices have adjusted. It's a buyers market and a great time for any set builder to jump in.
    If you're looking solely as monetary value.....can the prices get any lower??

Stick with it...complete it..and then it will be worth more anyways...
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    As a fellow 75 collector for 4 years 1 month now (still Yaz and Fisk to go), I can say it already burst a long time ago. I started collecting common players in 7 for $5 or less, but within 6 months I shifted to 8s as populations exploded and prices dropped. The more common 8s used to go for $8-15, and up from there for tough ones. Common 9s were $20-up. Your basic 1-weight 10 was a $300+ card, a lot more depending on if raferse and a couple other guys both wanted it. Now, populations are such that most 8s are available for less than grading, and 9s are plentiful under $15, some under $10. So unless you paid top dollar for low pops that are not so low anymore, the value of your set is probably stable. I kept track of all my purchases and there are 142 cards in my set that I paid less than $6 for, including shipping, and in all 419 cards in my set that I paid $8 or less for. The most I paid was $99 for my Brett, which I finally picked up a couple weeks ago (and should probably plug into my set at long last). Of the low pops, I paid $39 for a McEnaney. One just closed for $22. I picked up the Marty Perez and Joe Lis for $10 each way back in the beginning when the really tough cards hadn't begun to stand out yet. I had a couple mistake purchases for commons, too. One was a 1/1 Dusty Baker 8 that I BINned for $28.50. It was one of the first 10 cards I had in the set, so I was kind of a noob. Most people were though, as at that point there were still over 100 cards that hadn't been graded at all. I also outbid lafayette43 for a couple cards at $18, but I learned to bottomfeed after that. That's why it took 4 years to get to 99%.

Looking at ebay, you'll see that the number of auctions goes up and down. Tonight there are 512 auctions for 8-10s. Sometimes there are fewer than 100. Usually there are less than 200. Seems like some big submitters have listed simultaneously.

I agree the number of 10s out there now is a little depressing. When I started building the set there were 47 10s total, barely more than have been listed in the past 2 weeks.

Anyway, I've thought about selling the whole set as a big chunk of change would be nice right now. I wonder if I'd get back what I put into it. If I really wanted to, I could build it again in the future likely a lot cheaper than it was the first time.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Got a few 9s listed tonight if anyone's interested. I know, SPAM!

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>I think there are a ton of 75's out there. I have a gorgeous ungraded raw set that I paid a couple of hundred bucks for a couple of years ago.

chaz >>

Me too. I have a raw set that has 8's and 9's all over it. I started collecting the set graded in 8's and it was cheaper for me to buy the 8's on eBay rather than grade the cards I have.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    I have two raw sets that are nm/mt, and a firend has six raw sets that nm/mt. The cards are out there. It just isn't worth grading them with the supply that is already on the market.
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    how do you guys store or displayed a large set that has been graded?

not trying to change the subject, sry.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I've found these "manga comic" boxes at my comic shop that are just right. They're about 16 inches square, and a foot high, with a built-in divider down the middle. I can get about 240 or more regular slabs in one box, so it takes 3 to hold my 75 set with room left over. Before that I just had them all stacked up in my closet.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!