Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Josh - Thank you!!!

Yesterday, I got an extremely interesting Russian coin from Josh and I cannot help to say that I am rather stunned at what I have!!!

While this particular coin is gilted, hinged, engraved etc, fortunately the details aspect itself is at least fine. Now what is more interesting is what most people who would usually not bother, but this is what I noticed with the edge type after I looked at the edge for more than 10 times (yes I swear I had to take a good look for a few times):

1719!!! image

Due to the damage, around half of the edge is almost unviewable, but this is what I got. Edge type of this particular coin is: "ÌÎÑÊÎÂÑÊÈÉ ??? ÌÎÍÅÒÍÎÃÎ ÄÅÍÅÆÍÎÃÎ ÄÂÎÐÀ 1719" - extrusive edge text.

While Uzedenikov reports that there are around 10 different edge types just on this single coin, he also reports that there are both 1718, and 1720 on them too. Now why 10 different types of edges, well I guess Moscow Mint was too ill-prepared to mint coins But remember, such edging technology was around in Russia for just a short 10 years or so if I am not wrong, as Russia started to use them around 1710s.

Lastly, this is made possible, special thanks to Josh - or else I will never get my hands on such interesting coin, least reporting such find!

Thank you!
List of my partial coin list: My Coin List

Comments