Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Reason #1043 I hate eBay:

Unsolicited comments from the peanut gallery:

"do you realize your price is ridiculous when there are so many coins out there. Are you a crackpot?"

I'm tempted to just respond, "Yes." image

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

Comments

• ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    This guy is way off base, the proper terminology is "crackhead"..image

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Unsolicited comments from the peanut gallery:

"do you realize your price is ridiculous when there are so many coins out there. Are you a crackpot?"

image >>

I would respond thusly, "Go Sir, and lie with the pigs! These coins are silk purses."image
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you a crackpot?" >>

Yes, you want to buy some?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • I have friends that start auctions at $1 only to have people send messages saying "I think that is too high I will offer 50 cents" and the auction goes on to finish about $15.

I still can't believe how lucky I have been on the bay of flea. Over 300 interactions and everything positive, no packages that didn't arrive and only one item unpaid for (by a zero feedback bidder)

Dr J
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm tempted to just respond, "Yes." >>

That buyer has you pegged!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Unsolicited comments from the peanut gallery:

image >>

Hey, Josh - It's people like the one that called you a "crackpot" that the phrase "stuck on stupid" exists. Peanut Gallery - more like "Goober Gallery" - because someone with the intellegence of Goober from the Andy Griffith Show would be stupid enough to call you that.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I don't mind the name calling. I've been called worse. image

It's just when people speak as though they know something when they are obviously in the wrong, it's rather irritating.

Another example, when at a Madison coin show, we had a small group of very common Sasanian silver drachms of Khusro. A rather unkempt individual in a John Deere cap came strolling up, zeroed in on the pile and said "Them looks counterfeit to me......... What are they?" So we explained they were ancient coins from Persia from about the 5th-6th century A.D. struck in silver. To which he responded, "Yep, definitely counterfeit." and then walked away. For someone who didn't even know what they were 30 seconds ago, he certainly thought he could speak rather expertly on the group. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

<< <i>Hey, I don't mind the name calling. I've been called worse. image

It's just when people speak as though they know something when they are obviously in the wrong, it's rather irritating.

Another example, when at a Madison coin show, we had a small group of very common Sasanian silver drachms of Khusro. A rather unkempt individual in a John Deere cap came strolling up, zeroed in on the pile and said "Them looks counterfeit to me......... What are they?" So we explained they were ancient coins from Persia from about the 5th-6th century A.D. struck in silver. To which he responded, "Yep, definitely counterfeit." and then walked away. For someone who didn't even know what they were 30 seconds ago, he certainly thought he could speak rather expertly on the group. image >>

Well, Josh - the guy with the John Deere cap knows as much about ancients as he knows about squat! I had to deal with people like him, and there are times I wish I could extend my "finger of power" (aka the middle finger) at some of these morons.image
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

Did you tell him his John Deere was also Counterfeit ?

Yup, definitely made in China.
  • AvarelAvarel Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Another example, when at a Madison coin show, we had a small group of very common Sasanian silver drachms of Khusro. A rather unkempt individual in a John Deere cap came strolling up

'Sconies....it gives purpose to living in MN....pity he didnt have the packer hat on......image

Av
    Chirsto duce vincamus

Pro Deo Et Patria

<< <i>Did you tell him his John Deere was also Counterfeit ?

Yup, definitely made in China. >>

imageimageimage
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the John Deere capped guy saw the coins and noticed they were not as finely minted as modern coins are. He saw the jagged edges and thought it was home made or something. I guess he was clueless that Sasanian coins were Hammer Struck.

Sasanian silver coins---that is interesting. What is the value of each. It sound like something I would want just to have.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

• << <i>Hey, I don't mind the name calling. I've been called worse. image

Another example, when at a Madison coin show, we had a small group of very common Sasanian silver drachms of Khusro. A rather unkempt individual in a John Deere cap came strolling up, zeroed in on the pile and said "Them looks counterfeit to me......... What are they?" So we explained they were ancient coins from Persia from about the 5th-6th century A.D. struck in silver. To which he responded, "Yep, definitely counterfeit." and then walked away. For someone who didn't even know what they were 30 seconds ago, he certainly thought he could speak rather expertly on the group. image >>

Hopefully, most collectors are not so appallingly stupid and ill-informed.
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sasanian silver coins---that is interesting. What is the value of each. It sound like something I would want just to have. >>

Not sure if Josh has any right now, but you can always find some decent ones on VCoins. Nice Khusru II examples (probably the most common) can be had for $30, lower grades for less sometimes.

A good reference site (the best!) for these coins is grifterrec

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Hopefully, most collectors are not so appallingly stupid and ill-informed. >>

Having worked in a coin shop for several years now, allow me to dash your hopes!image

The true, serious collector, one who is well informed, educated, polite, and pleasant to deal with, is as rare as the coins he collects. The coin buying public in general is in fact as appallingly stupid, if not more so, than the examples given above.

EXAMPLE A: Rather large redneck "lady" walks up to a tray of slabbed Morgan Dollars, most grading MS-65+ with several PL and DMPL coins in the group. After looking at them for some time she states that she has "some of them" to sell. She pulls out a sock (not a clean sock that has just been purchased or at least properly laundered, but one that look like she removed it from her common-law husband after an overtime shift at the compost factory). She removes several common date Morgan and Peace Dollars that look like she has taken steel wool to them. When I informed her that they were worth only a small amount over melt, she became angry. She pointed to our display and said "thems been cleaned up too, mine is just as good."

EXAMPLE B: A man comes in with a 1916-D Merc Dime which he states he "got a great deal on at a flea market." The lady at our shop who is helping him looks at the coin and it is an obvious example of an added mint mark. After explaining this to him she shows him a PCGS graded 1916-D that we have in stock. He looks at it and then states "I wouldn't buy one from you," when asked why not he says (holding up his fake) "because I can't get a good deal from you like I did on this one."

I could list 100 more examples like these, but you get the idea.image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    what some people do not realize is whatever Morgan dollar they have, Meissner Porcellan, vintage Babe Ruth or Austrian made violin from the 17th century, the condition of the item is so important and the fact that it has not been repaired or restored.

From the baseball collecting arena, there was once a man who had albums full of vintage cards. The public has already heard the buzz that baseball cards can be worth money. This man thought he was smart. He must have inherited or been given these albums at some point in time. He knew enough to buy a price guide and looked up how much each card is worth. That is good so far. He had the intention of going to a baseball card show to sell the stuff to dealers and he was in the right to be informed of their value.

He was even more diligent in that he recorded the price of each card so that he knew exactly which card was worth how much. He goes to many dealer tables at shows trying to sell. Dealers are interested in cards from the 50s and 60s. However, when he opens up his album, the dealer sees that each card has the value written right on it with an ink pen!!. A vintage card like that is worth a few pennies if at all--depends if a collector might need it as filler when a MINT copy fetches $5000. The man got so mad after every dealer was telling him that his cards are essentially worthless.
    He thought it was a conspiracy in order to have him get rid of the cards for cheap. What was he thinking? He was not a collector himself otherwise he would have known that no one is interested in buying a price tag. What is so special about a piece of card board with a price written on it in ink? Some people don't get it.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    A vintage card like that is worth a few pennies if at all--depends if a collector might need it as filler when a MINT copy fetches $5000. The man got so mad after every dealer was telling him that his cards are essentially worthless.
    He thought it was a conspiracy in order to have him get rid of the cards for cheap. What was he thinking?

He was thinking the truth: that he made a fatal mistake by writing the prices on the cards and that if he had left them as they were, without researching their value or anything, he would have walked out of that show with a lot of cash instead, he just didn't want to admit it at the time.Little or very little knowledge is usually worse than no knowledge at all.

This happens with coins too, when the inheritant decides that the dark, tarnished coins that he got, need a good polishing job before selling them in order to make them look nice and shiny and maximize their potential. image Also, people often inherit junk coins that might have been kept in the family for generations, so it comes as a shock to them to learn that what they and their ancesters have been keeping for so many years is essentially worthless due to condition. To the general public, a big silver coin from the 19th century ,even holed, is something that they have never seen before and therefore they assume that it must be very rare and valuable, such as in the case of the lovely lady in Aethelred's shop,who had painstakingly packed the coins nicely and all, expecting to leave with a big fat check....image

In my opinion, unless the inherited collectables were acquired by someone who actually paid some money to purchase them and not just put away the change of the time, or the stamps from the enveloppes that he was receiving, etc, 99% of the times they are worthless or nearly so ,regardless of the number of years that have intervened. Besides, if there was a real collector in the family, the collectables are also well stored and properly identified and documented, there's much less chances that they end up in unwashed socks. Unless it was someone who instead of used change, decided to put away a few original bank rolls, in which case he must have made his grand grand children very happy and very rich. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • I could never be a coin dealer because my temper would almost certainly get the better of me in dealing with such appalling people.

I admire your ability to deal with them, if not gracefully, then at least by holding your tongue in the face of such provocative ignorance and stupidity.
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Well I guess I will be the hated one then because I think there are prices on some coins that are just so plain ridiculous and foolish that it takes any fun out of the hobby. Notice I said SOME coinsimage
  • UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭

<< <i>
    This happens with coins too, when the inheritant decides that the dark, tarnished coins that he got, need a good polishing job before selling them in order to make them look nice and shiny and maximize their potential. image
    >>

Very true! I'm wondering how many coins got "lost" due to that procedere. image

There was that old couple that had a complete or almost complete collection of Empire Pfennig coins. They didn't collect them theirselves, they just had it in family posession for a long time. One day they decided to sell the collection and went to a dealer with it. The dealer looked at the coins and said: "They are all very nice coins, I'll buy them for about 6000 Euro."

The couple said that they wanted to think it over and come back in the next days. When they came back to the dealer they said:
    "OK, we agree and will sell the coins for the amount you want to pay. And we even did a favour for you, we've cleaned all the coins to save you some effort, they look like fresh from the mint now!"

Of course the dealer didn't want to buy the collection any longer. image
    imageimage