Home Sports Talk
Options

Rays Prospect Delmon Young throws bat at ump

I copied and pasted this story. Looks like yet another Delmon Young incident.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PAWTUCKET, R.I. -- Durham Bulls outfielder Delmon Young threw a bat into the chest of the home plate umpire after being called out on strikes in the first inning of Wednesday night's game at Pawtucket.

Young argued with the umpire after taking a third strike on a 1-and-2 pitch. The umpire ejected Young, who then threw his bat and hit the umpire in the chest.

Replacement umpires have been working all minor league games this season because the regular umpires are on strike. Bill Wanless, a spokesman for the Pawtucket Red Sox, said minor league teams are not releasing the names of umpires while the regulars are on strike.

Young, 20, is the younger brother of Detroit Tigers outfielder Dmitri Young. He was voted the Tampa Bay Devil Rays' minor league player of the year last season and the 2005 minor league player of the year by Baseball America.

The Devils Rays selected Young with the first overall pick in the 2003 amateur draft.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Delmon Young has already given Rays personnel problems before with his attitude about still being in the minors, and now this. Personally, I hope he has to sit for the year...

Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)

Comments

• Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I'd like to know how hard he threw the bat ??? Not that it would make any difference, he should be punished. Lashing out at the ref is absolutely unexceptable, at any age, and in any form.

How about a good ol slap on the rist image
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    What am imbecile.

He should be forced to sit for an extended period of time...need to show him that those types of behaviors are not to be condoned, no matter how talented he is.
  • Options
    This isn't the first time he's been suspended. He was suspended last year for 3 games....I can't remember why.

One is an incident

Two is a trend

Three is a fact.

Troubled youth or spoiled athelete?

Dmitri better be sitting little bro down and have big brother talk with him.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I hear initial reports stating he will be suspended 30 games.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I'm thrilled that he waited to do this until I put his Bowman Draft Refractor in PSA 9 up for auction. Nice timing, Delmon!!