Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1995 silver Eagles I bought from Littleton--are these flips PVC free?

Hello coin crusaders,

I went through my collection and found 2 silver eagles I bought over a decade ago. They have brown toning around their perimeters. Is this regular toning or PVC damage? They are in their original Littleton holders.

If they are PVC, why would Littleton do such a thing?

I scaned the coins, but I don't know how to post them here....help
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    PVC damage appears as a film that get greener as it increases in damage. Yours sounds like normal toning IMHO without seeing it.image
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    For what its worth, I simply assume any holder I receive is suspect and always replace them with Safeflips (or however you spell it). I've even seen caveats from one or two auction houses that their holders are not for long term storage. Having been burned a few times with bad flips (and some original mint packaging in the case of Israeli silver) and the cost is so small vs the "peace of mind" that I can't imagine doing otherwise.

I do the same with currency, even if I see the dealer put a note in a "fresh" holder. Just a belt and suspenders sort of guy I guess.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    If someone can host the picture, I rather have it posted for all to look at.

What bothers me is that the toning is on the outer rim of the surface and completely around the outer width of the coin--the part that has all the ridges and where you grab the coin from.

I am wondering if the paper/cardboard that Littleton inserted into the holder might be affecting it.

I gues the plastic is mylar since I see no green what so ever. the face of the coin is still blast white shiny silver. Only the areas contacting the cardboard are brown.

Again, I wish I can display the pic, but I am having a hard time doing that.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe the Littleton holders have any PVC in them.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    I think it's just toning, and I like it. image

Here are the pics:

imageimage
  • That's completely normal toning to find on an ASE that has been encased in cardboard. It won't do any damage to the coin, but you can expect it to continue to get darker as the years progress. If you are interested in keeping your eagles nice and mint shiny, get a few airtite holders from here.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    So, cardboard causes this toning?

Well, I guess since the process started, I just leave it as is. Next time, I can buy a 2006 silver eagle and immediately place it in an airtite.

• I have my eagles (and all my silver bullion) in airtites. I agree that you are seeing normal toning but I wonder if it is just the cardboard or that the coin is not selaed "air tight"

Dr J