Home Metal Detecting
Options

Well, I've never had a top-of-the-line detector before. I have the money. What should I get?

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
I want a top of the line detector.

I thought about the Garrett GTI-2500, but having used one of those for a while (I borrowed Steve's when I was briefly detectorless), I don't think it's that huge of a step up from the middle-of-the-line Garrett I already have. Well, maybe. It's still one of my options, but not one of the foremost.

I will be using the machine for coinshooting primarily, but also relic hunting and night hunting, plus the occassional beach hunt.

The features I need are:

-clean discrimination with good iron rejection
-a backlit meter
-salt sand capability

A chest/body mount capability would also be nice. A friend of mine had a chest harness for his old XLT, as I recall- not sure how that worked or if it was a custom-made thing. Of all the machines I am considering, it looks like the Fisher is the only one with chest mount capability. several detectors have hipmount capability, but in the case of the Garretts, that just puts the battery pack on your belt- it reduces the weight a little, but changes the balance of the detector. I very seldom use the belt mount on my Garrett. I want a chest mount that allows me to have the display right there in front of me. But I might have to do without this feature, unless I get a Fisher.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    I went with the DFX. It's a step or two above my IDXpro, but looks the same. I have not tried any of the other machines in the poll so it is strictly a biased opinion.
    Plus:
    Well balanced
    Goes from woods to low tide beach with a minor tweak to sensativity
    Waterproof coil
    Not many bells and whistles makes it easy to use from the start
    Cheap, lightweight headphones work great
    Rugged

Minus:
    A bit heavy for the long days out
    Not backlit (DFX may be)
    Foam handle lasted only 1 year of rough use

Good luck Rob. Say hi to L and V for me.

• Options
    >>-clean discrimination with good iron rejection
    -a backlit meter
    -salt sand capability<<

Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    I use ONE program from the waters edge to to the soil.
    Coil: I use the BigFOOT coil 99% of the time. In trash I tip the coil up on end__---

Battery: I use Ni-MH 2000mAh

I use the DX-1 In Line Probe--Sound goes thru headphones = same sound and readings as main coil !!!

DFX: Used for $670.00
    BigFoot: New $200.00
    DX-1: New $160.00

Good Luck

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I can't imagine using anything but my GTi 2500.......It seldom lets me down....and that's the bottom line. It will find coins, when others have pounded the areas. But I think any of the top of the line detectors will do fine.
  • Options
    I voted for Steve's detector since it's proven in your area... besides that, you'd have a local friend to talk with about all the tweaks, adjustments, and all the other things that go along with learning a new machine. Lots of factors (I know you know that) but those are the 2 top things I considered.
  • Options
    I am currently using the Minelab Quattro. Overall, I think it is a pretty good machine. I like that it is very user friendly, comfortable weight and is pretty good at object identification. I really like that with a few months use, you quickly learn to recongnize by the audio if the object is a keeper or a piece of trash-keeps you from looking at the display all day.

Though it has many positives, I feel that the depth is not as good as I wish. You can manually change the sensitivity very easily from the factory preset, but then the object identification is not as good. That said I have had the Quattro since December and may just need more practice. Funny thing about the Quattro is you can find some of the smallest pieces of metal in the 1"-4" range and I mean small, but coin depths greater than 6" are just not that good. Some say the pinpoint mode of the Quattro is also easy to use, but I would just rate it average.

When I made my purchase, my decision was between the DFX and Quattro. I have used White's equipment before, but I just wanted to try something different and that is why I went with the Quattro.

I am sure once I find a super coin, I will quickly forget any of the negatives with the detector.

• Options
    Being a GTI user, I voted for it.

<< <i>I thought about the Garrett GTI-2500, but having used one of those for a while (I borrowed Steve's when I was briefly detectorless), I don't think it's that huge of a step up from the middle-of-the-line Garrett I already have. >>

If you only used it briefly, I doubt you even scratched the surface of the performance the machine offers. I've had mine a little over a year, and am just now seeing the great things it is capable of. Overall it has a huge learning curve, but set it on coin mode and go coinshooting it's easy as can be. At least it was for me.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Hey Goldrush.....I feel that if I have my GTI 2500 on....all I have to do is wander over the buried coin....It'll let me know if it's there....All I have to do is be patient and cover the ground completely.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I have come back around to considering the GTI-2500, for a few reasons.

1. I'm a Garrett man. The learning curve won't be so bad, since I already use a middle-of-the-line Garrett machine.

2. The coils might be interchangeable with the machine I already have. (Not the "imaging" coil, but the smaller sniper coil and others).

3. The GTI-2500 has a surface rejection setting (I think Bounty Hunter calls it a "blanker"), which allows one to ignore shallower targets- it can be set from one to four inches, as I recall. While I am sure this feature has its imperfections, I might use it in some of the trashier coinshooting parks- who knows- it might be handy. Of course I would never use it on relic sites or bulldozed areas, where the targets could be at any depth.

So I might do that. I'm still undecided.

<< <i>I use the DX-1 In Line Probe--Sound goes thru headphones = same sound and readings as main coil !!! >>

Jerry- I've always thought those inline probes were cool, but haven't seen any in a long time. I suppose that is something brand specific, i.e. it will only work on your particular brand of detector?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    >>Fully compatible with the Garrett ACE 150 & 250 models and with the flip of a switch is compatible with the GTP 1350 and selected GTAX models specifically the GTAX 550, 750 & 1250.<<

Look at this: http://www.sunraydetector.com/sun_ray_invader_gi-1_field_test_by_gabe.htm

http://www.sunraydetector.com/

Good Luck
    Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I voted DFX, but I looked at and tried both the MXT and DFX and picked the MXT. The people in the know say there is no depth difference unless you really really know how to tune the DFX, then they said it is only a half an inch advantage on a bullet. I have never been outhunted with my MXT, not by minelab, Garret, Tessoro, anyone. The MXT would also give you the flex to hunt gold if you wanted.

Just my opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>3. The GTI-2500 has a surface rejection setting (I think Bounty Hunter calls it a "blanker"), which allows one to ignore shallower targets- it can be set from one to four inches, as I recall. While I am sure this feature has its imperfections, I might use it in some of the trashier coinshooting parks- who knows- it might be handy. Of course I would never use it on relic sites or bulldozed areas, where the targets could be at any depth. >>

I've been running this feature at a local park which is littered with shallow can slaw and other nasties.
    While in the surface elimination mode if you watch the meter it will ID many of the shallow targets but you won't hear them. I was in this mode at 4"(max) on my last hunt and dug a quarter at 2 inches because I caught sight of it on the meter. I did manage to get a few wheaties at 6-7". One had a sliver of can slaw laying above it at 2" as I found it when I went to cut the plug.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Posts: 903
    Minelab or Garrett are equal in my estimation. Since you're a Garrett man, their top of the line would be your best choice. GL.
    image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options
    I do not own any of the machines on the list so I can't make any recommendations. However, I can say that Minelab is very good with tech supports and repairs.

• Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    One of my buddies uses a DFX and loves it. He used Garretts in the past and prefers the White's now; but he said there is learning curve to the Whites.
  • Options
    you tell us lord m.......what's it gonna be?......it does'nt matter, most of them are only as good as the opperator.......what ever you get there's no fun like a new toy.......hope youy make some great finds this summer.
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage