Home Sports Talk
Options

Nash to be named MVP

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
Initial reports have Nash winning the MVP for 2006.

Comments

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    And, he deserves it. Good job - hope this turns out to be true.
  • Options
    I agree...for him to do what he he did with that team again this year, with only 2 starters returning from last year is amazing. Unlike some other players (cough, Kobe, cough), he actually makes those around him better.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    No doubt. A least there is some kind of a reality check about guys who can both put up numbers AND make the players around them contribute to the team's success. Of course, Jordan could do it. Nash reminds me of Stockton in that regard, who brought Utah to the dance year after year.....supporting Malone, but never getting the credit he was due.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Nash getting the MVP.
  • Options

<< <i>greatest player on the planet >>

Raw skills and points? Sure. Best team player, MVP? Not by a long shot.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Couldnt have gone wrong with Nash or leBron in my opinion. They both make the players around them better and part of the game, not just spectators as Koby does to his teammates.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Congrats to Nash -- our great Canadian star!

What will Kobe think? Kobe thinks Kobe should win the MVP.
  • Options
    Unlike some other players (cough, Kobe, cough), he actually makes those around him better.

Raw skills and points? Sure. Best team player, MVP? Not by a long shot

First off, Nash is a point guard. His job is too distribute the ball. Of course he's going to incorporate his teammates more than Kobe. Kobe is a s.g and the best scorer of the basketball on this planet.

What makes me laugh the most are these Kobe haters, like some here on this board, who talk about how much Kobe shoots and dosen't make his teammates better but are the first ones to say how great Jordan was at making his teammates better.

What were you guys saying about Jordan the years he avg.

30.4 pts and 4.3 assists
    29.6 pts and 4.3 assists
    28.7 pts and 3.5 assists

Wow, what do you know. Jordan won the MVP 2 of those years. But boy it seems like Kobe avg. more points per game and MORE ASSISTS per game than Jordan those years and Kobe gets hated on while Jordan gets praised.

Kobe's assist per game for some of the years he's played in the league . Not bad for someone that plays SHOOTING guard huh ?

Some of Jordans highest Shot attempts per season for some years

2279 att
    1998 att
    2003 att
    1893 att
    1892 att

Kobe's Shot attempts for the year the past four years

They both make the players around them better and part of the game, not just spectators as Koby does to his teammates.

No offense bri but you can't even spell his name right, am i supposed to believe you've even watched him play ?
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Early morning spelling error on my part, thanks for the correction.

I see your point as well regarding the Jordan comparisons. The numbers are pretty convincing when comparing the two. I get to see Kobe play maybe 18 or 20 games a year, far from the full season but a fair share either way. One thing I will say in favor of him is this, how many guys in the league are good enough to actually create 30 shots a game for themselves. That alone is very much overlooked in basketball. I guess I just plain dont like the guy, leading to my thumbs up for Nash or Lebron over him.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Early morning spelling error on my part, thanks for the correction.

My spelling generally sux so i don't know why im talking lol

One thing I will say in favor of him is this, how many guys in the league are good enough to actually create 30 shots a game for themselves. That alone is very much overlooked in basketball.

He actually avg'd about 26 fga per game but when you look at some of the players on that roster you understand why he takes that many shots .
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    It seems that Kobe lost the MVP because of the residual dislike of him among the voters. His stats this season and leading the Lakers to playoffs with Kwame Brown! Smush Parker! and who? Not to mention outscoring the Mavs team by himself after 3 quarters, 81, 35.4. The 8th highest season point total in NBA history, only behind Wilt and MJ. The highest ppg since Jordan in '87. Kobe set the record for most 40+ games in one season by a Laker. On any given night, he could go off for 50 and you'd barely hear about because it was so routine.

I cannot remember one thing Nash did this year. He may have done many amazing things, but none of them stuck in my consciousness.

I don't really care who gets it though. I'm more of a casual Basketball fan.
  • Options
    Nash, night in and night out, made his team better, made his teammates better, and runs the floor. Kobe can score 40 every night for all I care, but he isn't making his teammates any better.

• Options
    Kobe

Quote from article

"I never thought I’d say this either, but he’s making the other players around him better. Usually that requires passing, which he's been doing more of, especially as teammates such as Lamar Odom, Kwame Brown and Luke Walton become more comfortable and emerge as offensive options.

Yet Bryant's improved decision-making — like not trying to break down three guys off the dribble, for instance — keeps defenses on edge because they’re not sure if he’s going to be the old Kobe and jack up shots, or the new one who will get the ball to the more sensible option at the right time. "

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    After Nash, I would pick the following players for MVP this season, before even thinking about one-dimensional Kobe -

LeBron James
    Elton Brand
    Jason Kidd

Nash still stands out, but those three players can (and have) done it all, LeBron especially - while improving the play of the entire team. The Kobe and 4 other guys show is fun for a while, but if you want to watch the game how it should be played, you should not be watching the 2005-06 Lakers.
  • Options
    After Nash, I would pick the following players for MVP this season, before even thinking about one-dimensional Kobe -

Another guy that dosen't watch the games

Kobe's been on the all NBA Defense team for i don't know how many years now but he's one dimensional. Ya OK

Perhaps when you used the term one-dimensional you were thinking of the guy in your icon pic, Manny Ramirez.

The fact that the Lakers made the playoffs and have guys like Smush Parker, Kwame Brown and Chris Mihm in the starting lineup all year is all the more reason to give Kobe some credit.
  • Options
    By the way, if your going to pick anyone on the Nets to be MVP this season it would be Vince Carter, not Jason Kidd
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This award is not the "BAMYTB" (Best At Making Your Teamates Better) award. If that was the case, why didn't John Stockton win about 12 MVP's in a row? It is the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER (singular). In other words, how valuable the indivudual is. I don't think the MVP should even take into consideration how well your teamates perform. It's how well the individual performs. And nobody performed better than Kobe this year.

Plus, you take Nash off of the Suns, and they still are in the playoffs easily. You take Kobe off of the Lakers, and they MIGHT win 10 games. You take Lebron James off of the Cavs, and they MIGHT win 15 games.

On the other hand, you trade Kobe for Nash, and the Suns will win 65 games (especially, with Amare Stoudamire).

Shane

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Is there an official definition or criteria for this award ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    You take Nash off the Suns and they make the playoffs easily?

I really, really have to disagree with you there (as obviously do the people who vote for the MVP award).

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    The Suns would be at like 7th or 8th seed without Nash or out of the Playoffs altogether. A couple years ago they had good players (Stoudemire, Marion, Richardson, etc.) but no Nash and they weren't that good of a team. Nash has turned them into a Championship contender.

I'm not a Kobe fan but one thing I have to see for him, is that the Suns should be CRUSHING the Lakers right now. The Suns barely won game 1 and lost game 2. Kobe knows how to win when he needs to.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭✭
    Kobe and the Lake show are now up 2-1 and looking good.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards