Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Info needed on a Pius XI medal

I bought this medal yesterday. The obverse shown Pope Pius XI, while the reverse shows the Papal Arms. It is dated 1929 and is 36mm in diameter.

I would like to know why it was issued, by whom, where and if possible what it might be worth, many thanks!

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• I really like this one. Plus I'm developing a hing for keys on coins and medals
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I really like this one. Plus I'm developing a hing for keys on coins and medals >>

That would make for an interesting topical collection!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a link that might go somewhere.

http://www.csun.edu/~hcfll004/Pius11.html

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    My example of this medal has an inscription along the edge indicating that it was produced by the Bavarian State Mint (and not the Vatican) and is made of "feinsilber." The reverse indicates that it was issued for the jubilee of the pope's priesthood (1879).

My sense is that these go for something like $50-75 in nice shape.

imageimageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • I think this might be the same K. Roth that did the medal for the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games. image
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director