Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Dmitri Young selling cards?

Do an ebay search of GAI cards it seems Young is selling of his collection.
I love candy cards

Comments

• aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Fletch1750 - Yes, it appears Dimitri Young is selling off some GAI 9.5's of some major rookies. I do not track GEM MINT cards from PSA or GAI. Are the prices that rockbottomsports is asking appropriate or are they just fishing?
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not track GEM MINT cards from PSA or GAI. Are the prices that rockbottomsports is asking appropriate or are they just fishing? >>

Since Dmitri set the prices realized for HOF rookies in GEM grade over the past few years - it's very tough to say. Since all the cards have 'Best Offer' also listed, my inclination is that a significant discount would be accepted on (m)any of the examples.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    What's his Ebay ID?
  • A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    The question here is why are these cards available?

Dmitri is making $8M this year, I doubt he needs the cash, which compared to $8M is pocket change.

I'd like to know how this came to be, and how rockbottom got in that mix.

<< <i>
    Dmitri is making $8M this year, I doubt he needs the cash, which compared to $8M is pocket change.
    >>

Well - let's be a little more realistic. After taxes, agent, etc. - he is probably left with under $4MM a year. And he has literally spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on cards - so it is not an insignificant amount. We all have budgets, some of us more than others. And that certainly does not preclude richer people from selling their cards.

Charlie Sheen has, Charlie Merkel has [he has a multi-million $ collection], etc.

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    You're forgetting it's 8M before taxes. Knowing this, and having filed his latest return, you can see why money is needed. image
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Maybe he upgraded the 9.5s? He could be clearing out extras.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Does Young only collect GAI cards? Because it appears that the only big rookie cards Rock Bottom is selling are GAI graded.
    I love candy cards
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    As for taxes, isn't the top rate in this country at 28% right now? He would be at the top, whatever it is. As for an agent, if I remember correctly, my former sports agent friend was telling me that percentage wise, pro athlete's don't pay that much to agents. I think he told me that when a player was in the minor leagues, the fee is around 10%. When the player gets to the majors, it drops down to like 2 or 3%, if I remember right. So after everthing, he's probably still netting 5.5 out of 8.

As for what he spends on cards, it is incredible. One time I looked up his auctions he bid on in the last 30 days (it was a couple years ago), and he was at about $35,000 in 30 days! That was just Ebay, I'm sure he makes offline purchases too. He won just about everything he bid on. One card I remember him winning was a 85 McGwire PSA 10 at around $5000. I remember that because McGwire was my favorite player and that card only had a pop of about 200 at the time. I think nowadays, that card is in the $500-$600 range.
  • LWMMLWMM Posts: 471

<< <i>As for taxes, isn't the top rate in this country at 28% right now? He would be at the top, whatever it is. As for an agent, if I remember correctly, my former sports agent friend was telling me that percentage wise, pro athlete's don't pay that much to agents. I think he told me that when a player was in the minor leagues, the fee is around 10%. When the player gets to the majors, it drops down to like 2 or 3%, if I remember right. So after everthing, he's probably still netting 5.5 out of 8.

As for what he spends on cards, it is incredible. One time I looked up his auctions he bid on in the last 30 days (it was a couple years ago), and he was at about $35,000 in 30 days! That was just Ebay, I'm sure he makes offline purchases too. He won just about everything he bid on. One card I remember him winning was a 85 McGwire PSA 10 at around $5000. I remember that because McGwire was my favorite player and that card only had a pop of about 200 at the time. I think nowadays, that card is in the $500-$600 range. >>

What is his ebay ID, if you remember?
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com

<< <i>As for taxes, isn't the top rate in this country at 28% right now? >>

The top rate in this country is 35%. And that's just federal. State taxes can be another 5-10%.

<< <i>
    What is his ebay ID, if you remember? >>

He has more than one - and I'm sure that he doesn't want to advertise what it is.
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Steve/Marc,

After federal, state, city and social security taxes, I take home 50% of what I make--I am sure Dmitri is the same.

Branca sellin a good chunk of his collection, Charlie a piece and now Dmitri??? What is the world coming to?

I believe Dmitri converted a good chunk of his high-end cards to GAI after Rocchi and Baker left PSA--as I recall this was a spirited discussion on at least a couple of threads.

Jim

• With no intention of turning this into a Global bash- fest. It's probably a good idea for him to dump his Global cards.
    Could it be suffice to say it was to risky for Dmitri to cross or crack and cross the cards to PSA and realize a significantly higher return ?
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?

<< <i>With no intention of turning this into a Global bash- fest. It's probably a good idea for him to dump his Global cards.
    Could it be suffice to say it was to risky for Dmitri to cross or crack and cross the cards to PSA and realize a significantly higher return ? >>

I think the greater point is that a large number of his cards were originally in PSA holders that were subsequently put in Global holders. Now, on examples where Global gave him a bump [for example - no Nolan Ryan PSA 10 rookie, but I think Dmitri has had at least two GAI 9.5 Ryan rookies, at least one of which was in a PSA 9 holder at one time], there is a risk - but at some point in the game, cards like his are almost more political in nature, etc.

~ms
    Lowstartmick,

I don't know Dmitri but my guess would be that he has no idea of the value of GAI vs PSA cards and he just wants to reduce his holdings of vintage cards for whatever reason.

Jim
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    If he has no idea of GAI vs. PSA value, why would he 'convert' his PSA's to GAI? Why not just leave all his PSA's alone. Was he talked into it? Maybe he liked GAI's holder better? Only he knows for sure, but as stated above the 'bump game' is more than likely the reason. Only the D'man knows for sure.

<< <i>If he has no idea of GAI vs. PSA value, why would he 'convert' his PSA's to GAI? Why not just leave all his PSA's alone. Was he talked into it? Maybe he liked GAI's holder better? Only he knows for sure, but as stated above the 'bump game' is more than likely the reason. Only the D'man knows for sure. >>

It was done years ago - and he was/is friends with Baker and Rocchi. And the value differential today is very different than it was years ago.
    Liked the holder better???? Are you serious. The bump game???

The guy is very close with Rocchi and Baker and wanted to help them as they started their business.

Same reason so many national dealers have given GAI a good chunk of their business.
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    And the value differential today is very different than it was years ago.

higher value or lower?

The notion that Dmitri liked the holder better or wanted a bump in grade is not preposterous. I am sure there are collectors/dealers that became GAI supporters based on established relationships with Rocchi and Baker, and I am sure that there are also collectors/dealers that envisioned a half point bump as a money maker or better buy. Are GAI 9.5's widely accepted today? I do not know the answer, as I do not follow that market and mainly collect mid grade cards. If I were a high grade (PSA 8 and up) collector, I wouldn't feel comfortable purchasing a GAI card.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
    Neal: lower.

I have seen a handful of incidents [not many] where GAI 9.5s have commanded less dollars than an equivalent PSA 9.