Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

New Vatican coin...but did this hat keep his ears warm?

For some reason I have never added a 500 Lire from Pope John XXIII to my collection, until yesterday. This coin was issued in 1962 to mark the start of Vatican II.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Nice reverse. I haven't seen so many Cardinals sitting around motionless since the 2004 World Series....

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • You are building a nice Vatican collection, would like to see it some day.... image
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Nice example of an interesting type. A similar reverse (pope sitting among the cardinals) was used on piastre of Innocent XII in the 1690s. Nice thing about papal, if you wait long enough the designs get recycled.

imageimageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You are building a nice Vatican collection, would like to see it some day.... image >>

It is really only a small collection of perhaps two dozen coins, but I am sure you'll see it someday.image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice reverse. I haven't seen so many Cardinals sitting around motionless since the 2004 World Series.... >>

Beautiful Vatican piece image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin! Definitely the best looking John XXIII 500 Lire, in my opinion.
  • Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    I hate to be the offending voice...so to speak, but it looks like the tower of Babel(sp?) on top of his head.

• << <i>

<< <i>You are building a nice Vatican collection, would like to see it some day.... image >>

It is really only a small collection of perhaps two dozen coins, but I am sure you'll see it someday.image >>

That's 23 more Vaticans coins than me!. I've only got 100 Lire 1975 (pigeon) which is a nice one but definitely not as nice as your 500 Lire...
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One advantage of being the Pope:
    You can wear any silly hat you want to and people will still line up to kiss your ring and buy coins with your picture on them.
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not just any old "silly hat". image It's the Triple Tiara, symbol of the Papacy since the 1300's.

Popes in recent years (Since the 1960's) have chosen not to wear it. Judging by the Wiki article, there's some debate as to what the three crowns actually signify and whether or not the current Pope should be allowed to replace it on the coat of arms.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)