Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

need advice on what to buy from BBEXCHANGE

I have been out of the business for a few years but have a few extra bucks to buy some cards and always loved buying quality packs!

Any advice? I have about 250.00-300.00 spend?

I love the 85 football set but so tough to pull decent cards
I also like the 86 football

I could buy one pack of 86-87 fleer BB(had great luck with Mark Murphy in Chicago a few years back pulled two MJ's out of 4 packs). One graded a BGS 8 and the other 8.5 the same box yielded a BGS 9.5( I believe sold for 18K at the time).

I like 80's baseball too! Any advice would be helpful. I don't want to really buy vending due to all the posts on how tough they are to get in top grade!
** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **

Comments

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Every rack box I have gotten from BBCE has been outstanding and well worth it.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I will wait until tommorrow and take the advice of the board. Order the boxes/racks or pack and then open it live online when it comes in! Thanks in advance for the help!
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd love to bust one of the 70's rack packs, especially the 1974. Another idea might be a 1980, or 1982 box - both of which are undervalued (in my opinion).

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    As far as the 74's I think they are a bit weak on the resale graded value, the 82's I have had horrible luck with. i would shoot for 1980 wax, or 85 rack. My 85 rack had awsome results!
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    you have a lot of choices ! Personally for the fun of it I would bust more than one pack, It would last a lot longer and your chances of hitting a big card are better. That being said there are several boxes and or cases that represent a value such as the 80, 81, 82's etc... If you you are looking for the best quality go with rack hands down, although they are a little more expensive you will pull higher quality cards than from the other unopened stuff. I have always liked the three - box rack cases, and BBC Exchange usually has them in 84, 85 , 86 or later. If you have a favorite year you may want to look at that year and go from there. I just ordered ten 84 Donruss rack packs from them and they should be here soon.Good Luck in whatever you decide and always update us here with scans when you open it.

• Options
    I still have some sweet 85's I was planning on sending! I have about 15 or so that came from racks a few years ago(they seem to be nice) will get my assistant to send them to you Tennessee Banker! There are about 20 or so and alot would be 9's and a few possible 10's. However, I do not have a loop so you may find things I did not! I still have your address
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I would grab a nice mix of 1977 Topps Baseball, 1978 Topps Baseball, 1976 OPC Baseball...maybe a 1974 Topps Football wax and 1978 and 1979 Topps Football Rack packs! You may not be giving yourself as good odds on one specific product...but hey, variety is the spice of life!
  • Options
    Cool MAIN ! tHANKS, A LOT !

What unopned are you leaning towards ?

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    '81 Donruss. Cheap and fun.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    there are various 70's rack packs that are pretty tempting.

Julen

RIP GURU
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

He's got a ton of unopened on the 'Bay right now. Some good, some not so good.

BBC Exchange Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Cool MAIN ! tHANKS, A LOT !

What unopned are you leaning towards ? >>

well right now I have in my cart a 79 rack with Bench on the back
    a 77 topps pack GAI 7

also have 3 85 donruss racks in my cart! The thought of getting a Clemens PSA 10 is just to good to pass up

and I really would like to get a 86 FB vending box but just dont know!

I know I am going to buy the 85 donruss racks but your help would greatly be appreciated!

I

• Options
    My Advice stay away from vending, Also you may want to look in BBC Exchange's complete set area and grab a 85 Donruss Factory set. If he has any left.
    Good Luck !

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Be warned with Donruss factory sets. Cards tend to be a hair shorter and they dont grade well. I have seen MANY 85 Donruss Clemens rookies out of factory sets that come back as 7s and maybe a rare 8...never seen a 9 or 10 out of a factory set.
    Just a thought....
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    I like the idea of rack packs with stars on top or bottom from 1977-1980, I also like the 1972 topps basketball packs and a desert shield pack.
  • Options
    alright guys I made MY FIRST ORDER IN A FEW YEARS

I bought (2) 1974 Topps baseball wax packs
    I bought (3) 85 Donruss Racks
    I bought (1) 84 donruss wax pack!

I will let you guys know when they arrive! I think 149.00 is a little high but well worth dealing with BBCE!
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I just pulled a 1986 trifecta! I ordered 3 wax boxes, 1 ea. of Topps, Donruss, and Fleer.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viva Racks! Those 74's are underrated.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    looks like we will have some good bustin threads in a few days ! image

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Be warned with Donruss factory sets. Cards tend to be a hair shorter and they dont grade well. I have seen MANY 85 Donruss Clemens rookies out of factory sets that come back as 7s and maybe a rare 8...never seen a 9 or 10 out of a factory set.
    Just a thought.... >>

The Clemens' that come from the factory sets frequently have this little 'dent' in the upper right side. It's barely noticeable, but if you look close enough you'll see it--- and it's always enough to keep the card's ceiling at a PSA 7.
  • Options
    williplettwilliplett Posts: 471 ✭✭
    You could get about 9 1981 vending boxes! Lots of cards to look through, but a set that really isn't worth much to most collectors. You would get to see many fine examples of all of the various PSA qualifiers!

Not to hijack the thread, but wasn't someone going to do a live rack box break of some 81's last week? I want to say it was LarryAllen?
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>You could get about 9 1981 vending boxes! Lots of cards to look through, but a set that really isn't worth much to most collectors. You would get to see many fine examples of all of the various PSA qualifiers!

Not to hijack the thread, but wasn't someone going to do a live rack box break of some 81's last week? I want to say it was LarryAllen? >>

I busted 3 racks and not much to speak of.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    williplettwilliplett Posts: 471 ✭✭
    I have busted more 1981 than everything else combined due to it's low price. I have always been disappointed by the quality of the cards. I love the set and collect the all stars, but there are so many that are tough to pull in anything above a 7 quality