Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Type Set Registry Question

Is it better (as far as value to your Registry Set) to have better grades in a series, or a key date in lower grades? For instance, if I put in an 1896-S Barber Quarter at G6, would that be better than putting in an Au50 of a common date? Or, to put it another way, does Grade always trump rarity when it comes to "set value?"

Comments

• LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    When you go to sell, I think you'll be happier with the liquidity of the better date set. As far as value goes, there's little difference in having a $500 common coin to having a $500 key date coin. Key date values tend to be a little more steady with a low likelyhood of going down.

David
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    However, for type set Registry points, the higher grade common coin is worth more (within the type).
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    itsnotjustme

Thanks. That is exactly what I was trying to figure out.

Lincolncentman

Thanks. I agree with your opinion. I am trying to get some key dates in the best grade that I can afford. I would love to have some higher grade key dates, but I have a few coins in some of the series that are better grades, but not rare, and I was wondering which is better in "plastic paradise." As for the real world, you are exactly right.