Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL suspends Ricky Williams for 2006 season

stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
NFL suspends Ricky Williams for 2006 season

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer
April 25, 2006

AP - Apr 25, 7:39 pm EDT

MIAMI (AP) -- Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams was suspended for the 2006 season by the NFL on Tuesday for violating the league's substance abuse policy for the fourth time.

The league announced the suspension after Williams' appeal of his latest positive drug test was denied. Williams met with NFL counsel Jeff Pash on April 10 in an attempt to have the league overturn the test.

"I'm disappointed with the decision, but I respect it," Williams said in a statement released by the team. "I'm proud of my association with the National Football League and look forward to returning to the Dolphins in 2007."

Williams' previous positive tests were for marijuana, which he acknowledged using. The latest test apparently involved a drug other than marijuana.

Williams had been participating in the offseason training program at the Dolphins' complex and was there working out shortly before the league announced its decision.

The 1998 Heisman Trophy winner at Texas and 2002 NFL rushing champion, Williams retired and sat out the 2004 season, then returned last year to play for new Miami coach Nick Saban.

Williams served a four-game suspension at the start of the 2005 season for his third violation of the drug program, then ran for 743 yards and averaged 4.4 yards a carry while sharing playing time with rookie Ronnie Brown.

News that Williams had failed another drug test surfaced in February, while he was in India studying yoga and holistic medicine.

Saban repeatedly has praised Williams' conduct and performance last season and supported him in the appeal process.

"This is a league decision, and we are disappointed in what it means for Ricky and the team," Saban said in a statement. "Ricky did an outstanding job for the Dolphins, not only as a player but also what he added as a person to the team's chemistry and to our overall success."

Attorney David Cornwell represented Williams in his appeal.

"We raised substantial and legitimate issues arising out of the application of the NFL's policy and program for substances of abuse," Cornwell said in a statement. He urged the players' union and ownership to "review the issues we raised on the appeal ... and restore the original intention of the NFL's policy to put equal focus on helping NFL players as is put on testing and suspending them."

The suspension represents a financial blow for Williams, who owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract when he retired in 2004. His return last season was motivated partly by the need for a paycheck, and that may be a motivation for him to return in 2007.

It's possible the suspension could mean the end of the mercurial running back's career. If he does try to return next year, he'll be 30 years old and will have played a total of 12 games in the previous three seasons.

"Ricky is obviously disappointed," said his agent, Leigh Steinberg. "He'll need to work hard to get back to the league in 2007."

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I feel bad for him, honestly.

It's easy to hammer him for pissing away millions, but I can only imagine how difficult it would be to kick an addiction of any type. I've watched my father smoke his entire life, and the difficulties he's had in trying to quit. He still smokes to this day, even though he knows the health risks.

• Options
    i dont feel bad for the pot head. his choices resulted in the current situation. wasted talent.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel bad for him, I think he made a huge mistake leaving the NFL and realized it, Im sure him coming back had a lot to do with the $$$ but I respect him for facing his former teamates like he did and play hard last year like he did. He screwed up and has to pay the price, Good for the NFL for standing by their strict guidlines for drug abuse. If a guy has a problem then this is a way for him to realize and get help hopefully...if he is just a recreational user then he is an idiot for taking a chance on such a privledge to be in the NFL.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I feel bad for him, honestly.

It's easy to hammer him for pissing away millions, but I can only imagine how difficult it would be to kick an addiction of any type. I've watched my father smoke his entire life, and the difficulties he's had in trying to quit. He still smokes to this day, even though he knows the health risks. >>

From someone who has, is, and will smoke, that's complete BS. Pot is not addictive, period. I can go days without having an "itch" for the green. In fact, NORML sez:

But isn't marijuana addictive?
    Substantial research exists regarding marijuana and addiction. While the scientific community has yet to achieve full consensus on this matter, the majority of epidemiological and animal data demonstrate that the reinforcing properties of marijuana in humans is low in comparison to other drugs of abuse, including alcohol and nicotine. According to the U.S. Institute of Medicine (IOM), fewer than one in 10 marijuana smokers become regular users of the drug, and most voluntary cease their use after 34 years of age. By comparison, 15 percent of alcohol consumers and 32 percent of tobacco smokers exhibit symptoms of drug dependence.

According to the IOM, observable cannabis withdrawal symptoms are rare and have only been identified under unique patient settings. These remain limited to adolescents in treatment facilities for substance abuse problems, and in a research setting where subjects were given marijuana or THC daily. Compared with the profound physical syndrome of alcohol or heroin withdrawal, marijuana-related withdrawal symptoms are mild and subtle. Symptoms may include restlessness, irritability, mild agitation and sleep disruption. However, for the overwhelming majority of marijuana smokers, these symptoms are not severe enough to re-initiate their use of cannabis.

In other words, it's more difficult to give up soft drinks than marijuana.

I love Ricky with all of my heart; I have so many cherished memories from UT. However, the dude doesn't deserve a chance to EVER play another down again, EVER.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I would argue that it's not perhaps the substance itself that is addictive, rather the feeling of escapism and the 'high' itself. For someone with Ricky's anxiety, it might be the only thing that is able to keep him level.

• Options

<< <i>i dont feel bad for the pot head. his choices resulted in the current situation. wasted talent. >>

He is causing his own problems!
  • Options

<< <i>I would argue that it's not perhaps the substance itself that is addictive, rather the feeling of escapism and the 'high' itself. For someone with Ricky's anxiety, it might be the only thing that is able to keep him level. >>

Excellent point and I completely agree. However, Ricky is going to have to find other ways to "escape" and get his "highs" or he's not going to be playing in the NFL.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why any of you feel BAD for Rickey. He is having the time of his life. By most accounts Rickey is a joyful happy pot head who truly loves his lifestyle more than football. He has no regrets I am sure. Now this certainly is no way I would want my kid or brother to lead his life, but its not like Rickey is all down in the dumps about getting kicked out for a year and most likely forever. He will say the "appropriate" things but I would be more than willing to bet that he don't care.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>I don't know why any of you feel BAD for Rickey. He is having the time of his life. By most accounts Rickey is a joyful happy pot head who truly loves his lifestyle more than football. He has no regrets I am sure. Now this certainly is no way I would want my kid or brother to lead his life, but its not like Rickey is all down in the dumps about getting kicked out for a year and most likely forever. He will say the "appropriate" things but I would be more than willing to bet that he don't care. >>

There's no question you are correct. Ricky wanted it to happen. He'll see how he feels around this same time next year...if he feels he needs the money he'll cut out the weed, if he feels that he doesn't need the money he'll keep smoking the weed. I'm not sure what the penalty is for five infractions, but at some point he is going to wear out his welcome.
  • Options
    I also heard him say that when his third positive test became public knowledge, that really weighed down even more on him.

I by no means am excusing his behavior, or think he should get any punishment less than what he's received, but he truly does seem to have some emotional issues that most people get to keep under wraps and confidential - for him, it's all out in the public's minds.

I hope he is able to take this year and make it productive, tackle those inner demons, and he's able to respond. He's going to be 30 when he next is able to play a down of football.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Weed will get you through times without money, better than money will get you through times without weed image
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I don't feel bad for this idiot at all. He's pissed his talent away. If he feels getting high is more important than getting his life together and taking care of his family, then that's his choice and he has to live with the consequences that go along with it. Some guys just refuse to grow up.
  • Options
    From all the reports he was NOT KICKED OUT FOR MARIJUANA!!!!!!!!
    Apparently he missed a fourth test while on a holistic retreat or some mumbo jumbo like that. If you are going to rail against a guy at least get the facts as they are known.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From all the reports he was NOT KICKED OUT FOR MARIJUANA!!!!!!!!
    Apparently he missed a fourth test while on a holistic retreat or some mumbo jumbo like that. If you are going to rail against a guy at least get the facts as they are known. >>

Settle down, Beavis. Had it not been for his previous positive tests for pot, he wouldn't be in this position to begin with.

From what I've heard, the last test was a stimulant; not that he just missed the test.

Finally, I find it ironic that you are blasting people for not getting the facts straight and in the same arguement, you use the term "apparently".
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts