Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Contemplating selling my 1972 Set 99% done in PSA 8 or better

I think I am getting burnt out on my 1972 set. Even though I am so close I am just not feeling the desire to pay out of my butt for the last three cards. I know Clint Jones #166 is going to command well over 40 bucks for an 8 of a common (low pop though).

I may be looking to sell the set after I get all but the jones card. It would be #3 current behind MOSH and LUChampions. Do you recommend I split it up or will it command a decent price on Ebay or Mastro?

The 9's that I have of any value are John Riggin's Rookie #13 -- Otis Taylor #10 -- Gayle Sayers # 110 - George Blanda #235 -- High series Ted Hendricks, Len Dawson, George Blanda. other than those there are about 20 or so other 9's.

I am not taking offers on single cards at this time but just asking what you think I could get for the set as a whole.

After I sell it I am going to focus on my Packer Sets and Maybe 1970 Topps Football.

Comments

• grilloj39grilloj39 Posts: 370 ✭✭
    First, congrats! I would recommend to complete the entire set before you sell it...your're so close! Buyers may not want to go through the hassle of chasing down 1 or 2 extra cards to complete the set (we can be extremely lazy at times)...by doing the dirty work for them, I think your set would sell for a lot more. The hundred or so dollars you pay for the Jones card will be a wise investment.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nail it down by completing it. 10 cent listing day is due again, and you can list it as a whole at a price worthy of your effort. If it doesn't go, then piece it out - you can get the listings together in the interim with turbo lister or something. The set will be among the ATF for a long time - lock it up!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Favrefan,

What are the grades on #316 and #200? Just curious. I really need these cards and I will outbid anyone on them when you want to sell.
  • Favrefan,

Email me at machemehl@insight.rr.com to discuss selling the set as is.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    The grades on 316 and the Staubach are both 8's. The Staubach has skyrocketed over the past six months. That is one reason why I am thinking of doing a singles sale. But I would like the ease of a one time sale
  • Favrefan,

If you email me at ssgunnip@yahoo.com, I will make you an offer you can't refuse on the Wright #316 and Staubach #200.

• For what you must have invested in the set in grading fees alone i would say complete it. what is another $100+. if you go to sell you will get more then that extra you spend for the #166 then if you would sell it missing one card.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Complete the set, dude. Come on. Step it up, your boy's coming back this fall, you need to step it up too. Get 'er done.

Stay classy,

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    Is the #166 that rare, or just tough in high grade? If you want to do a set sale, you may want to plug the hole with a lower grade example (6 or 7) just to complete it.
    Even finding the Jones is tough.

There are six 8's and three 9's. After that you have three 7's a six and a five.

He's a friggin' viking, what do you expect. LOL
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Congratulations! Your set is a great accomplishment. Would you recommend this set to other collectors? I know you are burnt out on it, is that just because of the cost of completion or all the work you've done? Sometimes it is good to put something aside for a while. I've put a mid grade '55 All American set on the backburner for a while.

Anyway, good luck with completion or liquidation, whichever route you take.

Tom
    I really just want to focus on my Packers for awhile. I am burnt because there are a few crappy guys out there who never back up their trades. I would have had this thing done four months ago but the guy with the JOnes just stopped responding.
    Just got one more in the mail.
    I am down to three cards now.

#166 Clint Jones
    #232 Norm Buliach
    #301 Walt Garrison

I missed a Buliach off of ebay a month ago and a Garrison because I was cheap. I have yet to see a jones hit the web yet.
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Good luck on completion, sounds like you are sticking with it.
    OKAY, now I am tooting my own horn. Just upgraded #133 to an 8. tough card usually goes for $40. $27 tonight. Smoking deal.

Yeah you guys convinced me to complete it.

My problem now is to find a raw Clint Jones.

Can anyone help me out?
  • RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I have a raw pack fresh Buliach, centering is a litlle off .....borderline 7/8
    Let me know if you want it.

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Just received grades today, pulled from a pack a few years ago. Look for it on ebay in a week or so.

21 0638xxxx 1972 TOPPS 166 CLINT JONES N/A 8

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

Sweet, that is the 2nd to be graded in the last week. Maybe it is going to pan out for me.
  • just finish the set You'll be glad you did.