Options

Re-image of unknown coin, Help needed

I've posted this one before, But doe's it say crone?image

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picture ain't clear enough to say.

Looks sorta 17th century, by the style.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    It does look like a C, something with a leg that could be an R and an O. but like the holey master has said the pic is not clear enough to tell for sure. Try taking a piece of paper and lay it over the coin and rub lightly with a pencil led. You might be surprised at how much more detail the rubbing has as compared to the photo or even the coin itself. If the rubbing shows more detail post the rubbing and see what kind of answers you get. I have done this with coins that I thought I could make out words on and found that what I thought was there is not even close...
    Give it a shot and see what shows up.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I'm out of my field, but it looks very simiar to the 17th century British merchant tokens. There is a city in Ireland called Cronebane which could be abbreviated as Crone. Those tokens typically were farthing tokens, made of copper, dime sized but thinner. They would often have the merchants name and loction on them. The center of this one looks like it might say "In Crone" Which would make sense to be SO and So in Crone.
  • Options
    Thank's to all, I tried the rubbing to no avail. Conder, you may be on to something, I'll see what i can google on that info.

Thank's again, ozzysdad......image
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    What is the size of the coin? I don't believe that you've ever said.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    It's 17mm, Half as thick as a dime, and look's to having been gilted with gold over bronze. I suppose i should post the other side...