Home Sports Talk
Options

Brockton Rox prepare to offer contract to Roger Clemens (funny)

Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
I thought this was somewhat amusing. Although tongue in cheek, it does bring into perspective the huge salary contracts players are privy to these days.

Brockton Rox prepare to offer contract to Roger Clemens

Comments

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Seems like a great deal to me image

In all seriousness though, the article got me thinking. Obviously the situation in the article would not be ideal. Roger probably has another year or two in his arm for solid big league performance if it's what he truly wants to commit to. Whether or not seems up in the air right now, but who knows with him. Aside from that, the location just wouldnt make sense. What I did start thinking about was a situation maybe a couple of years down the road.

Suppose after a definitive retirement from major league baseball Roger was home, with his family and enjoying everything he could have expected, but he still had that itch for baseball. I dont think outs of the question with a guy like him, he has a fire in him that will be tough to ignore.

My thought was, would it be so out of the question for him to play in a similar league near his home ? A local team that offered him a chance to get on the mound once a week and not have to travel. He would still get to feed that fire if it were still in him and his body was able. This is of course assuming he wanted it and found a suitable situation. On one hand people might see it as tarnishing his image in some way, but on the other hand if everyone knew it wasnt a guy hanging on too long or something similar, than why not just get out and throw ? I sort of thought there might be something good in that.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Yeah, I felt that way when Ricky Henderson decided to play for one of these local leagues. Felt really weird to see a former MLB star and HOF'er play for what is essentially food money.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    With Rickey the perception is more of a guy hanging on too long for sure. He was still clinging to the hope of the big leagues, and he hadnt settled into any sort of true retirement. Clemens would be a different situation all together I feel. Im talking about a guy at home, with his family, settled, enjoying retirement. Pitching once a week would be more of a hobby at that point, something fun to do for excercise and the love of the game. No real commitment except having fun with the boys and competing every sunday or whatever.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Clemens back to Boston? Sounds like it -

Boston Dirt Dogs has learned that the Red Sox may now be the frontrunner in the Roger Clemens sweepstakes. Clemens reportedly said Wednesday he'd like to put No. 21 on his back and finish his career where he started. The Yankees are supposedly his second choice even though owner George Steinbrenner hasn't yet made Roger an offer; however, Roger expects him to at some point. The Astros may have moved up to Roger's third choice while the Texas Rangers, who made a great presentation, are not generating any real excitement in the Clemens camp.

According to MLB.com, Clemens said Wednesday that physically, his body feels pretty good, and that his arm is "not too far away" after working out with son Koby, an Astros prospect playing at Class A Lexington, for five days recently. Clemens also said he is enjoying retirement and isn't ready to think about pitching again at this point. "I understand the Red Sox side of it, the history with New York and I understand what's happened here [in Houston] the last few years," Clemens said on Wednesday. "Again, that's just not something I'm thinking about just yet. I'm going to pass on those questions right at this point. I've not decided to go there there just yet. I'm getting updates and calls from the other three teams. They're very flattering. If I decide to go in that direction, I'll get myself mentally prepared for that."

In his ESPN Insider blog, Peter Gammons writes today "There is a growing feeling in Houston that even though the Astros have three rookies in their rotation that owner Drayton McLane would rather not spend the coin for Roger Clemens, and would rather have him sign with the Yankees or Red Sox and paint him as a mercenary. The Yankees-Red Sox bidding war is a Hendricks Brothers' dream. Then it will come down to Clemens' reverence for Joe Torre versus seeing his No. 21 retired in Fenway as he passes Cy Young."

• Options
    Speaking of Clemens, did anyone happen to catch NESN Sports Classics last night? They replayed Clemens' first 20K game against the Mariners. I completely missed the game when it was first aired, so after 20+ years, I was glad to finally get a chance to watch it.

Man, I've seen a lot of well pitched games before, but I've never seen any one pitcher completely own another team like that. Except for a one mistake to Gorman Thomas, this Clemens kid was mowing them down from start to finish. Pitch count? What pitch count?

Yeah, it was also weird seeing Fenway Park with all those empty seats. I had forgotten how miserable the Red Sox were in the early eighties.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I haven't forgotten - there were sure some lean years in there between the late 70's and mid 80's, but the Clemens 20K game was in 1986, and we all know where the Sox finished that season...

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I had forgotten how miserable the Red Sox were in the early eighties. >>

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be fitting for Roger to finish in Boston. It would be ironic though the way Boston fans handed him his a$$ every time he came into Fenway as a Yankee. I suspect that was more out of love for the guy then anything else. Anyway, I'll see if I can dig up some OLD comments from Sox fans in this forum bashing Clemens when he was a Yankee image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240