Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What causes a grainy texture in gold coins?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
Does anyone know what causes a gold coin to look (and be described as) "grainy"? Is it a function of the wear on the dies, or something else in the production of the coin or planchets? Here is a description on Doug Winter's website, along with a picture. Does anyone know?

1843-O $2.50 NGC AU-58
Small Date variety. Lustrous with a slightly grainy texture, as made. This is an interesting late die state with numerous thin reverse die cracks through the legend. Lightly worn, struck in pale green-gold and an attractive, affordable example of one of the two most available quarter eagles from this mint.

Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    cough, gold experts, help a man out.
    he has me curious now too.
    my guess is planchet quality.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this issue and, under magnification, die erosion is very evident which gives it a grainy, matt-like finish. Also, many issues from New Orleans show die rust due to their very humid enviornment and their casual care of their dies.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I think its the soft nature of the metal. Gold planchets hitting together prior to being struck? Am I completely off on this?
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think its the soft nature of the metal. Gold planchets hitting together prior to being struck? Am I completely off on this? >>

Don't confuse "grainy texture" with "contact marks". Also, any small marks on the planchets would be obliterated when they are struck by the dies under tons of pressure.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file