Home Sports Talk

Who would you put money down on to win the National Championship?

xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
I'm going to Vegas next week and want to put some money down on the National Football Championship (NCAA). I was thinking either Notre Dame or Florida. Let me know what you think

Comments

• I'd be more apt to play a slightly weaker team with a much easier schedule. The SEC teams just seem to kill each other off - same with the Big 10 and even the ACC.

West Virginia looks great and the big east is full of cupcakes and there is no Virginia or Virginia Tech on the schedule for the mountaineers. They have one tough game (November 2nd at Louisville) - if they win there, they should run the table. They should be around 20-1 odds.

Louisville is actually another choice of mine even though they play WVU. Again it's that easy big east schedule. They do however play Miami (FL) but it's at Louisville, and the odds should be large ~ 40-1 for them.

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    My Buckeyes!
  • I love my Gators, but their schedule is brutal, so they are not going undefeated. I'd be happy with a 10-win season.

Sat Sep 2 Southern Mississippi
    Sat Sep 9 Central Florida
    Sat Sep 16 at Tennessee
    Sat Sep 23 Kentucky
    Sat Sep 30 Alabama
    Sat Oct 7 Louisiana State (Homecoming)
    Sat Oct 14 at Auburn
    Sat Oct 28 vs Georgia
    Sat Nov 4 at Vanderbilt
    Sat Nov 11 South Carolina
    Sat Nov 18 Western Carolina
    Sat Nov 25 at Florida State
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is Western Carolina? UNC-Asheville?
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Western Carolina is a Div. 1-AA Team. I don't think UNC-Asheville even has a football team.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Western Carolina is our 12th game. It's a sacrificial lamb being paid to come into the Swamp and take a beating.

We need a gimme with the schedule we'll be playing next season.
  • Double post.
  • fab4fab4 Posts: 280 ✭✭
    if the odds are good enough when i go, i am taking university of miami and usc
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I love my Gators, but their schedule is brutal, so they are not going undefeated. I'd be happy with a 10-win season.

Sat Sep 2 Southern Mississippi
    Sat Sep 9 Central Florida
    Sat Sep 16 at Tennessee
    Sat Sep 23 Kentucky
    Sat Sep 30 Alabama
    Sat Oct 7 Louisiana State (Homecoming)
    Sat Oct 14 at Auburn
    Sat Oct 28 vs Georgia
    Sat Nov 4 at Vanderbilt
    Sat Nov 11 South Carolina
    Sat Nov 18 Western Carolina
    Sat Nov 25 at Florida State >>

Brutal? LOL!! With the exception of the 'noles that's a pitiful non conference. Is Bill Snyder in charge of scheduling down there now?
  • Really? Southern Miss is no cupcake and last time I checked Florida State is pretty decent.

Some teams have to play a tough non-conference schedule to bolster their weak conference schedule. We don't. Since we play in a power conference and play quality teams every week, we could play all 1-AA out of conference and still finish with a top-10 strength of schedule.

I sure would like to have a look-see at your team's schedule, maybe you will post it.image
    UF's schedule IS brutal!! That has to be a top 5 toughest schedule, if not #1.

The only gimme is Western Carolina, maybe Kentucky. Central Florida could trip them up if they have a bad game.

<< <i>Really? Southern Miss is no cupcake and last time I checked Florida State is pretty decent.

Some teams have to play a tough non-conference schedule to bolster their weak conference schedule. We don't. Since we play in a power conference and play quality teams every week, we could play all 1-AA out of conference and still finish with a top-10 strength of schedule.

I sure would like to have a look-see at your team's schedule, maybe you will post it.image >>

My team is Middle Tennessee St. Feel free to check them out.

<< <i>Really? Southern Miss is no cupcake and last time I checked Florida State is pretty decent.

I sure would like to have a look-see at your team's schedule, maybe you will post it.image >>

I mentioned the 'noles in my first post. If the Gators didn't schedule a second tier Conference USA team with the idea that they could lose, and Western Carolina is a joke. South Florida isn't bad, but it's not like they're bringing in Va Tech or someone.

• << <i>

I mentioned the 'noles in my first post. If the Gators didn't schedule a second tier Conference USA team with the idea that they could lose, and Western Carolina is a joke. South Florida isn't bad, but it's not like they're bringing in Va Tech or someone. >>

We don't have to bring in Va Tech because our schedule is tough enough as it is. Now, if we played in the Big East, then yes, we would need to bolster our weak schedule with Grade A out of conference teams.

Playing in the SEC, our conference schedule is so difficult that we could schedule all cupcakes out of conference and still have a very difficult schedule. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend?

<< <i>

<< <i>

I mentioned the 'noles in my first post. If the Gators didn't schedule a second tier Conference USA team with the idea that they could lose, and Western Carolina is a joke. South Florida isn't bad, but it's not like they're bringing in Va Tech or someone. >>

We don't have to bring in Va Tech because our schedule is tough enough as it is. Now, if we played in the Big East, then yes, we would need to bolster our weak schedule with Grade A out of conference teams.

Playing in the SEC, our conference schedule is so difficult that we could schedule all cupcakes out of conference and still have a very difficult schedule. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend? >>

A few things.

1)What, exactly, don't you understand about my initial post?? I said 'your non conference is pitiful', which has nothing to do with how many times you have to play Georgia or whomever. If you disagree with me that's fine, but at least form a rebuttal based on what I said.

1) 'Brutal' means their schedule is markedly tougher then the other teams' in the conference. Check out the non conference schedules of the other decent SEC teams and you'll see the stack up very well against Florida. Georgia, for instance, plays Wash. St., Buffalo and Tulane. LSU plays Arizona, Tulane and Fresno.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Playing in the SEC, our conference schedule is so difficult that we could schedule all cupcakes out of conference and still have a very difficult schedule. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend? >>

A few things.

1)What, exactly, don't you understand about my initial post?? I said 'your non conference is pitiful', which has nothing to do with how many times you have to play Georgia or whomever. If you disagree with me that's fine, but at least form a rebuttal based on what I said.

1) 'Brutal' means their schedule is markedly tougher then the other teams' in the conference. Check out the non conference schedules of the other decent SEC teams and you'll see the stack up very well against Florida. Georgia, for instance, plays Wash. St., Buffalo and Tulane. LSU plays Arizona, Tulane and Fresno. >>

Go buy ESPN's football almanac. Seriously. You've got a lot to learn about college football.

We play for our non-conference schedule: Southern Miss, Central Florida, Western Carolina, and Florida State. Only one of those is a gimme (Western Carolina). Two of the four are quality teams (Southern Miss and UCF), and one is a just a step or two under an elite program (FSU).

Add to that Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and South Carolina and you've got a top 10 schedule, easy. Maybe at Middle Tennessee you compare yourselves to others in conference. At Florida, we compare ourselves NATIONALLY. And when I say top 10 schedule, I mean top 10 in the nation.

On last thing, does 52-16 ring a bell with you?image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

A few things.

1) 'Brutal' means their schedule is markedly tougher then the other teams' in the conference. Check out the non conference schedules of the other decent SEC teams and you'll see the stack up very well against Florida. Georgia, for instance, plays Wash. St., Buffalo and Tulane. LSU plays Arizona, Tulane and Fresno. >>

Go buy ESPN's football almanac. Seriously. You've got a lot to learn about college football.

We play for our non-conference schedule: Southern Miss, Central Florida, Western Carolina, and Florida State. Only one of those is a gimme (Western Carolina). Two of the four are quality teams (Southern Miss and UCF), and one is a just a step or two under an elite program (FSU).

Add to that Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and South Carolina and you've got a top 10 schedule, easy. Maybe at Middle Tennessee you compare yourselves to others in conference. At Florida, we compare ourselves NATIONALLY. And when I say top 10 schedule, I mean top 10 in the nation.

On last thing, does 52-16 ring a bell with you?image >>

1) No, 52-16 does not mean anything to me. I'm assuming it's someone's record, or a score, but I don't know who's or what.

2) Your schedule is no more 'brutal' then the rest of the SEC teams that expect to contend.

3) Unless you play for the team do us all a favor and quit referring to the Florida Gators in the first person collective.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

A few things.

1) No, 52-16 does not mean anything to me. I'm assuming it's someone's record, or a score, but I don't know who's or what.

2) Your schedule is no more 'brutal' then the rest of the SEC teams that expect to contend.

3) Unless you play for the team do us all a favor and quit referring to the Florida Gators in the first person collective. >>

1) It's the 2004 score of Florida-Middle Tennessee State. Do you even follow your team? I would have assumed that if you have enough college football knowledge to criticize our schedule you would at least be familiar with your own team's recent schedule. Guess not.

2) I don't care about any other team's schedule. I am concerned with my teams.

3) I have, and will continue to refer to the Gators as "my" team because it is "my" team. image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

A few things.

3) Unless you play for the team do us all a favor and quit referring to the Florida Gators in the first person collective. >>

1) It's the 2004 score of Florida-Middle Tennessee State. Do you even follow your team? I would have assumed that if you have enough college football knowledge to criticize our schedule you would at least be familiar with your own team's recent schedule. Guess not.

2) I don't care about any other team's schedule. I am concerned with my teams.

3) I have, and will continue to refer to the Gators as "my" team because it is "my" team. image >>

Whoops! Sorry about that-- I just pulled Middle Tennessee St. out of a hat. To clarify, I'm not a fan of that team; in fact, I wasn't even sure they had a team. I don't actually 'have a team', since I graduated from Eastern Michigan University, although if I pull for anyone it's the Michigan St. Spartans.

Anyway, we'll just put this dog to rest. It's clear you have an unnaturally emotional relationship with the Florida Gators, and if there's one thing I've learned about the Internet it's not get into an argument over any issue that one party really feels strongly about. Like I said, the term 'brutal' is relative. If everyone else has the same schedule you do then it isn't 'brutal' at all; just de rigeour.

The 'we' thing is certainly annoying, but again-- if it pops your corn then go for it.

Best of luck in the 2006 football season. I'm sure Urban Meyer sleeps better at night knowing there are mentally unhinged yahoos like yourself who's entire sense of self worth hangs on his coaching decisions every Saturday.

<< <i>3) Unless you play for the team do us all a favor and quit referring to the Florida Gators in the first person collective. >>

Geez, take a chill pill, or go debate Iwog on the OF.

<< <i>

<< <i>3) Unless you play for the team do us all a favor and quit referring to the Florida Gators in the first person collective. >>

Geez, take a chill pill, or go debate Iwog on the OF. >>

Here's an intersting conundrum: Who's needs to relax more-- The original guy who's irritated, or the guy who gets irritated at the fact that the original guy is irritated?

• Boopotts, for a college grad you're not too bright. The sports talk board is for people who are passionate about sports, just as the coin forum is for people passionate about coin collecting.

In the south, people are especially passionate about college football, and they are knowledgable on the subject also. I don't post on topics I don't know alot about, such as baseball for example. I would suggest you do the same. At least know a little bit about what you are talking about, it will give you more credibility in the future.

Since you are a college grad and all, I'm sure clicking a link shouldn't be difficult. This and this should show that I least have a basic knowledge of college football, and yes "my" Florida Gators.

Hopefully, this will help you gain at least an elementary understanding of the game.

One final question: Does 49-10 ring a bell by chance?image No hints for this one. You'll have to figure it out on your own.