Home Sports Talk
Options

List your Top 5 Baseball Players of All Time

WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
I honestly don't know too much about the old guys so let's here everyone else's opinion.

Comments

• Options
    You should have made it top 10 as I think three or four of everyone's top five will be the same...

Mine, in no particular order:

Babe Ruth
    Cy Young
    Hank Aaron
    Stan Musial
    Ty Cobb
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I will only include position players for the purpose of this thread....in no particular order,

Ruth
    Mays
    Musial
    Aaron
    Mantle
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Ted Williams
    Babe Ruth
    Stan Musial
    Willie Mays
    Hank Aaron
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    wow 3 lists, Musial on all of them and Williams only on one?? How can the greatest hitter of all time not be on a top 5 list? Do any of
    us actually think that Ted Williams wouldn't have more home runs than Ruth or even perhaps Aaron if he plays all those years
    he loses to the war?

Even in today's game of cheaters, juiced balls, and small parks, no one can begin to do what Teddy Ballgame did. Maybe we need
    some more Yankee's in the top 5..Rizzuto maybe?

Disguested,
    JS
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruth
    Cobb
    Williams
    Wagner
    Mantle

Mays
    Gehrig
    Aaron
    Musial
    Foxx

I put Mantle at 5, but I think the gap from Mantle down to Aaron is razor-thin, and I don't disagree with the people who have put Aaron and/or Mays in their top-5. I would encourage people to take a deeper look at Honus Wagner though - a truly phenomenal player.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Babe Ruth
    2. Ty Cobb
    3. Willie Mays
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Eddie Gaedel
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ted Williams
    Babe Ruth
    Stan Musial
    Willie Mays
    Hank Aaron >>

I agree with this list.

Maybe we should have a separate list for pitchers -- Here's my WAGs:

Cy Young
    Walter Johnson
    Warren Spahn
    Bob Gibson
    Roger Clemens
  • Options
    Hey Steve K,

This isn't the top 5 major league midgets of all-time list image

I am going to say:

Ruth
    Mays
    Aaron
    Cobb
    Williams

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    This 5 all time favorites, right?

Roger Maris
    Dwight Evans
    Roger Clemens
    Fred Lynn
    Steve Carlton
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Actually, there's one other player I need to add on. The trio of Dwight Evans, Fred Lynn, and Jim Rice would all be about equal to my personal list. I really couldn't list one without the others.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    #1. Bill Brasky
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    1-Ruth
    2-Mays
    3-Williams
    4-Cobb
    5-Wagner

Hard to do, wish I could've included Gehrig & Aaron

If we're going to do another list for pitchers (which makes sense to me)

1-Johnson
    2-Matty
    3-Young
    4-Koufax
    5-Ford....for real, check out his winning %, remember Casey did not use him in regular rotation, he saved him for "big games against big pitchers", his first year in regular rotation he went 25 & 4.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Derek Jeter
    Thurman Munson
    Bernie Williams
    Ron Guidry
    Don Mattingly

Steve D
    Good for you.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Eddie Leon
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Best Player ever; Mays, Cobb, Williams, and Ruth = four way tie.

Best Pitcher ever; Walter Johnson and Lefty Grove = tie.

Any combo of the aforementioned six men would make a fine and accurate Top five list if it can't go to six.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Steve K,

I am going to say:

Ruth
    Mays
    Aaron
    Cobb
    Williams >>

Gaedel had a perfect lifetime on base percantage of 1.00 - How can he not be on the list? image

In my opinion though the top 4 are easy...that #5 top player to me is very, VERY tough with any of about eight players could be #5. Hard to argue with names like Musial, Foxx, Gehrig, Wagner and some others. I do disagree with Aaron in the top 5. I think Aaron is more of a top 5 through top 10 player and actually he wouldn't make my top 10 list.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I have to pick the "old guys" in the top 5, simply because it is hard to compare eras....but these guys were so dominant versus their peer group that their accomplishments were ungodly.

Ruth, Cobb, Wagner, Johnson, Young.

My next five would be:

Gerhig, Williams, Mays, Aaron and Musial.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Mine is basically the same as dallasactuary except I will put in Mays instead of Mantle.
    Ruth
    Wagner
    Mays
    Cobb
    Williams
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    I find it amazing how baseball has held on to its very long history and tradition. There have been very few current names mentioned so far. If this was done for football or basketball, there would be many current names. I realize both those sports don't have as long of a history. If you were to list the greatest Olympians of all time, other than Jesse Owens, most names would be within the last 40 years. It is amazing to me that the names of Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, etc... are as popular today as ever. I think it is wonderful to have such a storied past.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Interesting points Don, but really, who would we put in? Bonds? Well, he had a shot before we all found out about the steroids. McGwuire? HA! Same thing. The only current player I feel who even has a shot at making the list would be Clemens, and that's only if you split the lists into 5 hitters-5 pitchers. I will say if Albert Pujols keeps it up, 15 years from now there will be a REALLY strong case for hm.
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    Ruth
    Cobb
    Wagner
    Williams
    Aaron

Pitchers:
    Johnson
    Clemens
    Young
    Spahn
    Koufax
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, there's one other player I need to add on. The trio of Dwight Evans, Fred Lynn, and Jim Rice would all be about equal to my personal list. I really couldn't list one without the others. >>

I liked Wade Boggs too
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Derek Jeter
    Thurman Munson
    Bernie Williams
    Ron Guidry
    Don Mattingly

Steve D >>

My thoughts exactly. If a player gets stuck wearing the Yankee pinstrips he's more or less doomed to obscurity.
  • Options
    Barry Bonds
    Babe Ruth
    Willie Mays
    Ty Cobb
    Hank Aaron

Top 5 Pitchers
    Roger Clemens
    Walter Johnson
    Christy Matthewson
    Lefty Grove
    Steve Carlton
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Steve K,

I am going to say:

Ruth
    Mays
    Aaron
    Cobb
    Williams
    >>

Gaedel had a perfect lifetime on base percantage of 1.00 - How can he not be on the list? image

In my opinion though the top 4 are easy...that #5 top player to me is very, VERY tough with any of about eight players could be #5. Hard to argue with names like Musial, Foxx, Gehrig, Wagner and some others. I do disagree with Aaron in the top 5. I think Aaron is more of a top 5 through top 10 player and actually he wouldn't make my top 10 list. >>

"As far as I'm concerned, (Hank) Aaron is the best ball player of my era. He is to baseball of the last 15 years what Joe DiMaggio was before him. He's never received the credit he's due." - Mickey Mantle

Be hard not to include him IMO. He has more Home Runs and RBI's than any other player in the history of the game. If you took away all 755 home runs, he would still be a member of the 3,000 hit club. Only one other person, Eddie Murray, can claim 500 homers and 3,000 hits but he would fall short of the latter if you took away the home runs. The closest would Musial with 475 homers and 3,603 hits. image

I would go with:

1. Ruth
    2. Mays
    3. Aaron
    4. Musial
    5. Cobb/Williams

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mays
    Gehrig
    Ted Williams
    Bonds
    Dimmagio/Mantle
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    My favorite players of all time (not nescesarily the best).

1.Mickey Mantle
    2.Roger Maris
    3.Al Kaline
    4.Jackie Jensen
    5.Gil Hodges.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)