Home Sports Talk
Options

Poll: Who would you rather have on your team: Harmon Killebrew or Mark McGwire?

During their playing days of course. Go ahead and comment, and I'll post my choice and supporting evidence later.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris

Comments

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I'll take Mcgwire. People give him crap for the steroid thing but remember, he hit 49 as a skinny little rookie. He's got talent. He was a pitcher too (if that means anything).
  • Options
    My vote is for Harmon Killebrew by a long shot and the attached spreadsheet hopefully demonstrates this.

1. When you look at top 10 finishes for the respective categories listed within the sheet, you will see that Harmon Killebrew dominates each category against Mark McGwire. Sure, the McGwire supporters will state that Killebrew played 8 more seasons than McGwire, but that is a testament to Killebrew's longevity and consistency. Oops, there is that word again: CONSISTENCY. Well, let's break down the top 10 finishes into top 3 finishes for each category and let's see what we find.

1. When you look at top finishes, McGwire edges Killebrew 5 to 4. This doesn't tell the whole story as McGwire is clearly dominant in top finishes as evidenced by his 4 top finishes in Adjusted OPS+ to Killebrew's 0. Edge: McGwire.

However, this is where it ends for McGwire. When you look at the 2nd place finishes, Killebrew outnumbers McGwire 4 to 0, and when one looks at third place finishes, it is no contest with Killebrew's 8 finishes to McGwire's 0.

So, McGwire was an all or nothing show. He was either the top dog or he didn't really play a factor in dominance. Meanwhile, Killebrew was usually always in the top 3 somewhere.

And for those who say that McGwire was a better home run hitter, take a look at the HR per AB results for these players. You may be in for a shock. Perhaps even more of a shock when you consider the dimensions of the parks each player played in.

KILLEBREW
    LF CF RF
    Griffith Stadium 386 421 320
    Met Stadium 346 425 330

Also keep in mind that many ballparks were fashioned in the same way back in Killebrew's days.

MCGWIRE
    LF CF RF
    Oakland Col. 330 400 330
    Busch Stadium 330 402 330

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    OK. Can someone help me load an Excel spreadsheet? I keep getting an error message

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    My vote is for "The Killer." Besides the larger stadium dimensions at home and on the road, he played for some rather poor Senator and Twins teams without much support - pitched around constantly. In addition, if he played the bulk of his career in the age of the "DH", his stats would be mind boggling.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both were great home run hitters. Killebrew has the reputation as a consummate professional and wonderful teammate. I think McGuire was a good teammate too.

As I have posted before and as Megatron's stats point out, Killebrew was unbelievably consistent. Between 1959 and 1971 Harmon got 500 at bats 10 times. He hit 40 home runs or more 8 times and 39 once with a low of 28 in 1971. During that period in the AL he finished first 6 times, second 2 times and third 1 time.

During the same period he drove in 100 or more runs 9 times and 96 the other time.

He was injured in 1965 and 1968.

McGuire had some monster years, but he had some down years too. I think Killebrew's record for power hitting over a ten year period is astounding.

McGuire never tested positive for steroids, so I won't bring that into my reasoning.

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Forgot to mention Killebrew had 3 firsts, 2 seconds, 3 thirds, 1 fourth, and 1 sixth place finish in RBI's during the 10 500 at bat seasons.

Dominant and consistent.

JB
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    The Killer hands down.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Happy Birthday and R.I.P.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Harmon!
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Harmon is dead and I would still take him over the PED king,
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killer or cheater? I'll take Killer.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    Harmon
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mac
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)