Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

PCGS grading guarantee question

I purchased a PCGS MS67 Quarter that appears to have a scrape over Washington's forehead and hairline. The scrape looks like the mark that sand paper would leave if rubbed on the coin. The scrape area is only visible when the coin is tilted under light and viewed with a loop. I guess the scrape could be on the plastic but would have to be on the inside of the plastic next to the coin because when the coin is tilted you can definitely tell that the scrape is not on the outside surface of the holder. If the scrape is on the coin it would grade A.U. instead of MS67. What is the procedure for sending PCGS a coin for re-evaluation of the grade under their guarantee? Do I have to be a collector's club member to send the coin to PCGS under the guarantee program? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dennis

Comments

• SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i> If the scrape is on the coin it would grade A.U. instead of MS67.
    Dennis >>

Dennis,
    How do YOU know PCGS would evaluate the coin like you have? I would not waste any more money trying to get money back on your coin. If you are not happy with it, sell it for whatever you can get. Good luck.
    Steveimage
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the scrape is on the coin it would grade A.U. instead of MS67. >>

A scrape might lower the grade, but it does not make a coin AU. Light circulation makes a coin AU.

Russ, NCNE
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Take your question to the question and answer page and ask David Hall.
    Or you can call customer service and they will tell you the process.
    If you feel the coin is misgraded, dont pass it on to someone else. Get something done about it yourself. Passing it on is just crapping on the next guy down the line.
    Dan

• << <i>Take your question to the question and answer page and ask David Hall.
    Or you can call customer service and they will tell you the process.
    If you feel the coin is misgraded, dont pass it on to someone else. Get something done about it yourself. Passing it on is just crapping on the next guy down the line. >>

Not if the new owner looks at the coin before he buys it and agrees on a fair price. Why should the current owner have to spend the time and money to correct PCGS's mistake (if there was one?)

• <<The scrape looks like the mark that sand paper would leave if rubbed on the coin.>>

This sounds like die polish lines to me.........image

Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"
  • Yes, make pcgs pay for its mistakes. I got several ms67 clad Washington Quarters downgraded. They agreed to pay me fair amounts. There's been a hold up though on one Lincoln, so the whole process has taken 9 months now. They are trying to make it as painful as possible. I don't care. I'm going to send every overgraded coin I see for downgrade.
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Not if the new owner looks at the coin before he buys it and agrees on a fair price. Why should the current owner have to spend the time and money to correct PCGS's mistake (if there was one?)

centmaster
    It goes without saying that if someone looked at the coin and agrees to a fair price its ok. But you and I both know that most likely this coin would end up on ebay or another such venue. In that case, if you are buying with a return option, you will lose your shipping to and the cost of returning the coin. Would you again then say its fair?
    I read the answers on the questions forum, and it seems to me DH always tells people to send it to him and he will make it right. A case like that will not cost anything except to ship it to DH. I have not seen where he says pay me and I'll take care of your problem coin. Pres. review? yes that will cost you, this is a diff. matter.

Die polishing/grinding is not what he's talking about. You see this problem on a lot of coins from rolls or mint sets. Looks just like he said, like someone took a small file and marked the coin. Odd thing is you almost always see it on the obverse side. And like he said you sometimes have to tilt the coin at different angles to get the light just right to show the marks.
    Dan
  • The downgrade submission is $25 per coin. Yes, they make it painful as possible. So we need to send in all the overgraded coins and make it painful as possible for them.

Edit for spelling.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "They are trying to make it as painful as possible. I don't care. I'm going to send every overgraded coin I see for downgrade."

And, folks are wondering why DH can't clean up the pop reports or create new registry sets faster.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Send the coin in on the guaranty. You might even include a note as to your specific concern. PCGS will treat you fairly, and you'll get the expert opinion you need.

Attempting to resell the coin at this juncture is, in my opinion, irresponsible on several levels. If the coin is flawed, why pass it on to someone else. People have said who cares as long as the price is fair, which presumably is meant to be mutually agreeable. Well, how can you agree on a price when you don't even know what it is you have. All you know is that you have a coin that may be 67 on the high side, nay be au on the low side, and may turn out to be damaged and returned bagged.

I think you will feel a lot better about yourself if you just let PCGS address your concerns about the coin. I was in this position on two Morgans in OGH that I felt woud not grade pl by recent standards. PCGS agreed with me both times and I did not lose anything on the pair.

Call PCGS and have them walk you through the process of submitting a coin on the guaranty. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
    I brake for ear bars.