Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Napoleon Bonaparte gold coins

I want to collect these, but I certainly do not want to over pay for this. Now is time for me to learn about condition and all those other factors that keep one from paying mint price for something off grade.

Here is a link of a raw gold coin:20 Francs Gold

I don't care what the seller says about this coin. It is by far an off grade example. I would pay 1-2% above the New York Gold rate.

What do you guys think.
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I don't like the coin but if you can get it for 1-2% above the New York Gold rate I say OK.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I like the fact that the coin will come with fatty fingerprints on it, gives it a certain authenticity..........

Oh he probably rubbed them off with a cloth. image

1% over = OK
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    image. I'd pass on it. - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Its in terrible condition and I see collectors hate it.

My point is that I don't want to pay $200+ for MINT. I just want this kind of coin as filler in my collection so that I have it. I do not want to overpay on this, so as long as I pay gold price, I think its OK because it has at least gold value if not any numismatic value.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Its in terrible condition and I see collectors hate it.

My point is that I don't want to pay $200+ for MINT. I just want this kind of coin as filler in my collection so that I have it. I do not want to overpay on this, so as long as I pay gold price, I think its OK because it has at least gold value if not any numismatic value. >>

I didn’t mean to be too critical; the coin just isn’t for me (and you did ask for opinions). If you feel it is a good value, that’s all that matters image. - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

I would suggest buying the best quality you can afford. The coin will hold its value much better than a lower grade specimen. The spot price for precious metals will go up and down. However, a high quality rare coin will almost always appreciate in value over time. Quality over quantity is my advice.

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    there's something about old gold coins image
    beware buying ray on the bay, tho, unless it someone you implicitly trust, while these are old, they definitely are driven by metal content only in this grade.
    enjoy if you can get them at melt value.
  • Options
    What risk is there with buying raw gold if we are paying melt price. I can understand getting ripped off in terms of over grading a coin. Sellers like to over grade their coins so they can get more bids. I am not sophisticated enough to tell if a coin is in MINT condition. I may think something is MINT and pay through the nose and then later find out the coin has many flaws and its value was a far cry of what I paid for.

This is why I think paying melt for this rat eaten coin is better than paying MS70 prices for a AU55.

I see the point of getting something in prestine condition so that it holds its value better.

• Options
    GDJMSPGDJMSP Posts: 799

<< <i>What risk is there with buying raw gold if we are paying melt price. >>

The risk is that the spot price can drop a long ways from where it is now in a very short time. And if it does, you lose.

But if you buy a coin in nice condition, then it has some numismatic value as well as intrinsic value. And over time, that generally increases while spot price is subject to the vagaries of the world economy and hype.
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    The spot price of gold has gone up too fast in just two months. I think I will wait until it comes back down. Gold will come back down before making another rise.

• Options
    How time flies and how some things never change.

I still do not have a Napoleon gold coin yet. What are some of the values for the 20 and 40 francs in AU55 and above?

• Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    You should be able to get a decent looking example for $250.00 to $275.00.
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch. You gotta strike when the iron's hot, man. image

April 23, 2006, gold was trading at $625 per ounce. image

I was a day late and a dollar short on that low gold price. But I did happen into this Bonaparte 20 francs in January of 2011 for melt plus a couple of bucks.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Weiss,

That is a nice coin! A few bucks over melt value is hard to get on a Napoleon, or am I just not well educated on this topic?

Danglen,

$250-270 sounds too good to be true. The cheapest 20 franc of Napoleon I right now is $319 on ebay. Apmex is selling a circulated 20 franc for $380+

How much for a slabbed AU of the 20 and 40 franc sounds about right? Ebay does not have any on the completed listings.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Weiss,

That is a nice coin! A few bucks over melt value is hard to get on a Napoleon, or am I just not well educated on this topic?

Danglen,

$250-270 sounds too good to be true. The cheapest 20 franc of Napoleon I right now is $319 on ebay. Apmex is selling a circulated 20 franc for $380+

How much for a slabbed AU of the 20 and 40 franc sounds about right? Ebay does not have any on the completed listings. >>

I looked at that one for $319 today , with my 10% coupon its $287 . Free shipping from France , it looks okay at that price
  • Options
    So, that coin is not bad considering the rebate given. I have that 10% offer too. I just do not want to over pay for an average condition coin. Is an AU 55 for $520 better in terms of overall value?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, that coin is not bad considering the rebate given. I have that 10% offer too. I just do not want to over pay for an average condition coin. Is an AU 55 for $520 better in terms of overall value? >>

$319 is too much but $287 is reasonable. I can get angel francs for about $240 if I pay cash but I can't get the older ones at all.

I'd pay a $47 Napoleon premium . NGC says $345 in VF then nothing above that till MS 60 at $1200 . No AU prices at all so to me AU is worth the same as VF image

The coupon I got is 10% off the top so I would still get $6.50 in ebay bucks . Did you get that coupon or the 10% eBay bucks offer?

• Options
    I have the 10% off bonus. This means that when I attempt to buy the Napoleon for $319, it says that I will get back $31.90 in ebay bucks (which includes the bonus). That makes it a 287.10 deal. However, that 10% can be used for any collector coin, so I guess its a matter of how one perceives the purchase. Without ebay bucks, it is not worth it, but with it, it is just all right. I hope the coin has not been cleaned and is something that NGC or PCGS would grade. If it is just a genuine coin, then I would want to pay a few bucks over melt.

If you get 10% off the top and still get the 2% ebay bucks, that sounds real good. Its time for you to select something too!

If the graded VF is for $350, then the AU has to be a bit more, but perhaps not $520.