Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

If you're going to forge an autograph -

At least spell the name right!

Buck Leonard - Buck Leonards same thing!

Somebody bought it!

Comments

• Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭
    Here's a real Buck, from about the early 80's or so.

• Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I'm not 100% convinced the first Leonard is a forgery. He had a stroke and from all reports was still signing autographs afterward. Same for Cool Papa Bell, Lefty Grove, Rube Marquard, and Carl Hubbell. Their signatures all got shakier and not on a straight line after the strokes. Although I would have to see a better scan of the "fake" from what I can see the letter formation and flow of the signature seems to be close enough to the pre-stroke sig in the next picture to warrant the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps the "s" at the end of the signature in the first photo is simply a result of Buck not being able to pick the pen up quickly at the end of the signature.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭
    Along the same lines, about 10 years ago I walked in a small card shop in a mall while traveling (reminded of the card shop on the Simpsons). Anyways, the guy was bragging about a ball in his showcase signed by Ruth, Gehrig and the like. The ball was total BS, but the best part was that the Gehrig "signature" was spelled "Lew" Gehrig......Priceless!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    That signature looks like his, why waste your time and forge an item and get only $10.50

heres a signature from my set. This item was signed by him in 1992, his signature seems like it gets alot worse every year.

Jery
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭
    I'd like to see more Buck sigs if anyone has them, seems like a real difference in each one.
  • Options
    Playa, the first scan is a forgery. After the stroke, Mr. Walter Leonard no longer did the loop in the "B" as it was tough enough to just sign his name.
    Nothing smoother than listening to Bob James and sipping on a glass of vintage Courvoisier! It's PIMPnificent!