Home Metal Detecting
Options

Out in the backyard!

I am swinging My Garret Ace 250 and I get a signal...I dig and I dig...the object keeps moving backwards on me...I never found a thing...is there something I am doing wrong or is this hunting for ya!

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like steel-toed boots.
    imageimage
  • Options
    No steel toed boots.
  • Options
    What depth did the target show ? What was the target showing on the ID ??

Many times large Iron or old water pipes will give you a strong signal but be much deeper than what the detector says , this can also happen from mineralised soil(salt) accumulating in specific areas in the ground.

Rick

Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    6 to 8...I just got tired of digging. 10 cent to a quarter.
  • Options
    That sounds like aluminum. Sometimes I will get a signal for a .25 @ 2". It turns out to be an aluminum can @ 8".
    imageimage
  • Options
    If it were an aluminum can I would have found it...there was nothing that I could see.
  • Options
    But you can pinpoint it? That is weird.
    imageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    if it's your own back yard, take a big shovel, 5 inches margin from pinpoint center on all sides, 15 inches down, put the soil on a sheet of plastic to help pinpointing the sucker once out of the hole! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options

<< <i>if it's your own back yard, take a big shovel, 5 inches margin from pinpoint center on all sides, 15 inches down, put the soil on a sheet of plastic to help pinpointing the sucker once out of the hole! image >>

Zot, you are describing my very first target. 15” deep and 15” across.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Na I am going to get screamed at for digging up the yard...I think beaches and school yards would be much easier...than looking for OLD OLD relics...under 3 feet of dirt! It takes conditioning to dig.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Zot, you are describing my very first target. 15” deep and 15” across. >>

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Found tons of earth worms anyone game for fishing?
  • Options

<< <i> I am swinging My Garret Ace 250 and I get a signal...I dig and I dig...the object keeps moving backwards on me...I never found a thing >>

Well if the targets are actually moving, you will have trouble recovering them!imageimage

What is your sensitivity set at? If it is set to high, you may be receiving false signals. Most folks I know that use the 250, run sensitivity at half (4 bars).

Another possibility is a "hot rock" which is a heavily mineralized rock which will cause your detector to signal.

Are you detecting near underground power lines that may be going to your house? This also can cause a detector to do strange things.

<< <i>I think beaches and school yards would be much easier...than looking for OLD OLD relics...under 3 feet of dirt! It takes conditioning to dig. >>

Those places are great to start detecting and learn how to use your machine. Especially when learning to pinpoint.

This is an excellent way to pinpoint with the 250.

Hope this helps!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Leave it to Goldrush to post an actual solution.
    imageimage
  • Options
    the target may also be in the wall of the hole........you keep digging, 1 ft., and digging, 2 ft, and then you see a glint of something in the sidewall of your hole about 2 inches down.....the mystery target!..........hee hee hee! it's happened to me.
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    One thing that really bugged me for a long time is the scenario you described. Check and make sure that the cable is connected FIRMLY and that you have the correct coil on the unit and that the cable is wrapped correctly around the post.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options

<< <i>Check and make sure that the cable is connected FIRMLY and that you have the correct coil on the unit and that the cable is wrapped correctly around the post. >>

Excellent point Earl!

If the coil wire is wrapped incorrectly, it will definately give you fits. It's true for all Garrett MD's.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yeah it is as it came from the store....I have not changed coils yet. It is possible that it could be radioactive as there are hot spot in the area...as the first nuclear bomb is buried in the area from years ago...when they let it off at the University of Chicago....we had a city water well go hot a few years ago...so you just never know. This area use to flood too but that problem has been taken care of....so it could be from run off which came in contact with a hot source from years gone by.
  • Options
    Goldrush, Thanks for the tips...that will come in handy dandy...but I am giving up the backyard...it may have more for me than what I want....somethings are better off left buried.