Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

85% completion requirement

It is possible that I have been out in LaLa land for the last while, but while I was starting to see what I wanted to accomplish before the May 31st deadline, I looked up the requirement for awards this year expecting to see 75%. What I did find was 85%!
Now it does make sense to me that we are creeping up the requirements but that does kind of put me out in the cold a bit on a few sets. Don't know if I can make the extra 10% to get the award. Will have to think about a bit. Does this come as a surprise to anyone else?
Fuzz
Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.

Comments

• Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    What are you talking about? An award? I am 75% for one of my sets, but there are 4 people above me. if I get it up past 85% do we get something from PSA?

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Options
    Great topic. I think the requirements will continue to increase as the number of sets rises. It seems like a good idea to me as long as some criteria for adding cards to sets is established. I collect player sets primarily and it never ceases to amaze me what people think are "Basic" set cards. The Roger Clemens Basic is a great example of what's wrong with the system as it is currently constituted. I can see people losing certificates because someone thinks every card the have belongs. It is not a problem for vintage collectors but is a real problem for modern folks.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    Hi Jeff,

You only get the certificate if you are above 85% AND are number 1 in the set.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Brent,

That's what I thought. And I agree with you on the problem of being a modern card collector. Reason 1 million and counting why I collect vintage. Player sets are fun, aren't they? I love them.

Jeff
  • Options
    You are right Jeff. Vintage is awesome but I have few connections to it except to a few players that I really connect with. And I do love player sets. It is hard to be completely devoted to a particular team (Go Tribe!) with the advent of free agency and how many owners run their teams. It sucked being an Indians fan in the 70's and 80's. But it would be hard to stay loyal to a team like the Marlins, World Series, sell/trade everyone away, be bad for a couple of years then bam, best in the game. That said, I would love the have that Series title (or 2).

Collecting/following active players is tough too. People are fallable and make mistakes. I will continue to collect what I like which is the point of this endeavor.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    Jeff,
    Sorry about that. One of my favorite areas is vintage regional and inserts sets. Many of the sets that I collect, I have the only one listed or there may be one other person. In those cases, it is sometimes more about getting the percentage (1969 Drenk's FB pins) than a competition with anyone else. I have the only two sets listed. I think I can make 75% but I'm not so sure about 85%.
    I'll confess I don't collect modern but remain stunned at the variety of cards available for today's stars.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    The 85% standard was posted when the PSA 2005 Registry Awards were announced (late Nov - early Dec '05).
  • Options
    Bighurt,
    I'm with you on modern player sets. Psa needs to come with some sort list as to what will be accepted into basic player sets. The Puckett set is messed up right now. I emailed B.J. about it before and he didn't an answer.
    Jason
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I emailed B.J. about it before and he didn't an answer. >>

She's a lady, she might not answer if addressed as Mr. Means!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Hey Jason,
    You are right about the player sets. I looked at one, a football player, and it had over 450 cards in the basic set. It's just crazy. By the way, I am also collecting the Alan Page Basic set. That guy was unreal. I was a Steeler fan until the Bucs came out in '77 but I always had a lot of respect for the Vikes. I think that whole team (70's Vikings) is vastly underrated.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    Yep, I knew about it, but what can you do besides do your best. I'll miss on a few set but some others I've made sure to bring past 85%.

It's the May 31st deadline that is hurting worse, short cycle this year.
    Jeremy
  • Options
    I think 80% would have been more reasonable.

Im awaiting about 30 additions to my sets at least, otherwise I might be over 85
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think 80% would have been more reasonable.

Im awaiting about 30 additions to my sets at least, otherwise I might be over 85 >>

It used to be 75%. The raised it after last year. As the Registry continues to grow, I would expect that this requirement will increase. Perhaps never to 100%, but at least 90-95%
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I think PSA needs to make getting the certificates more exciting. They could definitely improve upon the certificates themselves, i.e. make them something more than just a piece of paper shot out of a color printer (laminate them, list the actual cards in the set on the back, etc.). Plus a little bonus, even as much as one free grading per certificate, would be nice!
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    www.vintagestarwarscards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
    transparentpunk@hotmail.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think 80% would have been more reasonable.

Im awaiting about 30 additions to my sets at least, otherwise I might be over 85 >>

It used to be 75%. The raised it after last year. As the Registry continues to grow, I would expect that this requirement will increase. Perhaps never to 100%, but at least 90-95% >>

on sets that are not known to have over 75% of the possible players made for it?????

like the Tango Brand Egg set for example or Nadja E-92 set??? no one has more than 60 or so percent of those cards!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Come now, Brian. You are one of the dreaded 1%s - and PSA does not care what you think ;-)

If you want - I'll print you up a fancy certificate that you can frame on your wall
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    I think PSA should follow the lead of the "Football card Olympics", and maybe give out certs for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place ... or at least acknowledge the guys in 2nd or 3rd place somehow. I realize there are a lot of sets and it would take more time and money, but some of the 2nd and 3rd place sets are amazing accomplishments.

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    Only me marc?

lol

you sure. Go look at my N184 set! I just got four more so it qill boost it to 75% but no go!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think PSA should follow the lead of the "Football card Olympics", and maybe give out certs for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place ... or at least acknowledge the guys in 2nd or 3rd place somehow. >>

Yeah, it seems like it would be well worth the additional ink and postage to stir up some competition for 2nd and 3rd, doesn't it?